Proper tool fit when disassembling your Mosin

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Proper tool fit when disassembling your Mosin

Post by bunkysdad »

Or any firearm for that matter. How many times have you looked at pictures of firearms you are interested in and saw messed up screw slots from a improperly fitting screwdriver blade? When taking apart your Mosin, or any firearm for that matter it is imperative to have a blade that fits properly. Screw heads are made from a soft enough steel that any force applied from a blade that is too small will make the twisted out slots that are way too common. Even Walmart sells a cheap screwdriver set for guns that these tips came from. Grafs.com has a huge set that will cover everything. And if you have a Enfield don't even think about getting close to those thin slotted screws with a regular mechanics screwdriver. The proper fitting tools are hollow ground especially for gun screws.
Here is a couple of pics that speak for themselves. Last pic is a no no.
uploadfromtaptalk1409234304123.jpg
This is a proper fit for both width and blade thickness for these particular screws.
uploadfromtaptalk1409234405790.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1409234468473.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zeebill

Re: Proper tool fit when disassembling your Mosin

Post by zeebill »

+1000000000000000000 and infinity!

For God's Sake who with a brain spends hundreds for a rifle and is too cheap or dumb to buy a $20 or $30 screwdriver set so they will not bugger up the heads on the rifle? :!: Bill ;mywink;
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Oh, just look around. I'm certain we can find a few who haven't considered this. Ignorance is the prime driver.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

What? A dime or your car keys is NOT a good idea?
Mike

Post by Mike »

catcracker wrote:What? A dime or your car keys is NOT a good idea?
A dime or even a cartridge case works just fine on my Ruger Security Six. :D

But yeah, I hate seeing a chewed up screw whenever I buy a rifle, unfortunately most people just don't know any better.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not just on guns, I run into buggered screws on everything from Victrolas to carburetors.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not just on guns, I run into buggered screws on everything from Victrolas to carburetors.
Cars still have carburetors??!!??
Jon
Mike

Post by Mike »

musketjon wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not just on guns, I run into buggered screws on everything from Victrolas to carburetors.
Jon
No, but real cars do. :D
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

musketjon wrote:
Jon
In my world they do, my car is a 1930 Ford, it has a nice cast iron carburetor, my antique car has one also, it's a 1925 Model T.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I use the supplied multi- tool on my Mosins, since every time I have it out, I check the firing pin anyway, and if it was good enough in the field, it's good enough for me. I do have hallow ground screwdrivers for the other guns tho

I ran into a stripped clutch head screw on my '51 Chevy for the voltage reg. That was hard to remove, but I also had to put it back in since a new shiny phillips would not look right.. This was after waiting 3 weeks for Napa to get me a set of clutch head drivers, and getting the counter clerks to understand I actually needed those crazy looking drivers
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

At my previous job as a bike mechanic i saw this all the time. $5k bicycle, and they tried to tighten stuff with $2 tool kit...
If you are on a budget, harbor freight is pretty cheap, and make sure you snag a coupon before going !
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

matt167 wrote:I use the supplied multi- tool on my Mosins, since every time I have it out, I check the firing pin anyway, and if it was good enough in the field, it's good enough for me. I do have hallow ground screwdrivers for the other guns tho

I ran into a stripped clutch head screw on my '51 Chevy for the voltage reg. That was hard to remove, but I also had to put it back in since a new shiny phillips would not look right.. This was after waiting 3 weeks for Napa to get me a set of clutch head drivers, and getting the counter clerks to understand I actually needed those crazy looking drivers
I have several '49-'52 Chevys on the lot, and I know I have a voltage regulator off someplace. I don't explain my tool needs to counter clerks, I tell the what I require, and they get it, and no harbor freight crap either if they want to keep the account, if you are going to buy tools then buy good ones . Craftsman, S&K, are good, Snap-On, Mac and Matco are more expensive but mostly good. Made in USA tools only thank you.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey Jim, I bet you seldom need any metric size tools huh?
lalunette

Post by lalunette »

Mike wrote:
musketjon wrote:
Jon
No, but real cars do. :D
Indeed !!

My '91 Lada Signet wagon has an aftermarket Weber carb that makes that little 1.5L engine sing !!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bunkysdad wrote:Hey Jim, I bet you seldom need any metric size tools huh?
all I buy these days are metric tools Russell, They are what I use when stripping down the newer post 1985 cars, the standard tools only get use on my own cars. They are rarely used and never broken or lost because of that.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh yeah, that's right. I was just thinking of your own cars.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:Hey Jim, I bet you seldom need any metric size tools huh?
all I buy these days are metric tools Russell, They are what I use when stripping down the newer post 1985 cars, the standard tools only get use on my own cars. They are rarely used and never broken or lost because of that.
Real antique cars use Whitworth tools. :D
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

For display maybe, like the Ford tools that came with my cars, however for real repair jobs the modern tools come out. Period correct tools are too expensive and hard to find to risk damaging.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:For display maybe, like the Ford tools that came with my cars, however for real repair jobs the modern tools come out. Period correct tools are too expensive and hard to find to risk damaging.
My father has an impressive collection of English made Whitworth tools, they were built to last, and it's a good thing because there is no modern equivalent to Whitworth, if you have an antique British Car you'd better have an original set of tools to go with it. :biggrin:
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I do have an antique British car, the 1961 Austin FX4, but I am trying to sell it , not fix it. I collect British phonographs, not cars, I have several very nice HMV's from the 1920's and 30's, extremely well made, and as a Victor subsidiary HMV was able to make use of Victors best patents. Fortunately they require ordinary tools.
Theodore Roosevelt