Well I took out my M44 today for the first time...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
clueless

Well I took out my M44 today for the first time...

Post by clueless »

Today was the first day I shot my newly acquired carbine and I must say that this was without a doubt a lot of fun to shoot for me. Just a bit of background on me, I am 28 and about 5'10, 155 lbs or so. I grew up with a fascination with revolvers and shotguns and owned twenty or so unique pieces since I was 19. Today I still own a Norinco 12 Gauge Coach Gun, a Mossberg 590, a parkerized and rebuilt M1917 and my pride and joy which is a customized stainless heavy barrel S-10 with Hogue grips and just is a blast to fire.

Anyways with all that being said I never was much of a rifle guy. I am a decent shot with a pistol and can definitely hold my own with a shotgun but for some reason I just never got into target shooting with a rifle. That has all changed with the Mosin because I have to say I had an amazing time. I live in the desert so I went out and set up targets 15, 25 and 50 yards away just to see how the rifle would do. I bought some surplus ammo and did some cleaning on the rifle to loosen up the bolt a bit. I expected it to kick like a mule as I have seen some of the horror stories about it but really I did not notice any difference between using that and firing my coach gun off my shoulder with heavy buckshot or a slug.

I plinked away about 50 rounds before I became a bit sore and the groupings were just great for me too. I noticed it shot a bit high but I wonder if that has something to do with the Bayonet not being out? The only thing that took me by surprise was how dirty the gun got after shooting it but I guess that has something to do with the round I am assuming. At the end of the day I am very happy I am purchased this and am excited to be a part of the community of Mosin Nagant owners!!!
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Well I took out my M44 today for the first time...

Post by Longcolt44 »

The ammunition you are shooting is dirty, it has a corrosive primer. You need to clean out the dirty stuff with some boiling water down the barrel to desolve the salts from the corrosive stuff. Then clean as usual. Left alone by not cleaning out the salts will lead to rust very quickly. I'm sure this post will lead too 15 different ways o clean your rifle but this is the easiest way.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
husker51

Post by husker51 »

:pointup: Agreed. And Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Welcome to the forum. As Chuck said if you're shooting surplus ammo you'll need to clean it a certain way to keep it from rusting. This is a good start. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=6932
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Sounds like you had a good time! Mosins really don't kick too much & they along with many milsurps tend to shoot high. Aim for the chest, hit in the belly is the usual mantra. I personally think they are designed that way so if soldiers in the field do miss, the bullet still travels & ends up in the enemy 100yds behind; Not in the dirt at his feet.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Oh yes.... And welcome to the Forum! :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"