Help figuring out what I have 1946 M44?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
clueless

Help figuring out what I have 1946 M44?

Post by clueless »

Good morning everybody, I am new to the world of Mosin Nagant and picked up a rifle for $50 bucks yesterday that is in fair condition but needs some TLC. I believe it is a M44 carbine and was made in Russian. All the serial numbers match without any indication of scratch out to me. My camera sucks but basically the barrell is stamped with the Russian logo from Ish.... Err... Isa.... Something like that lol. The number says 1946r and the serial is n, backwards r, 1968. Also on it is a small y in a circle. The bolt has the same number as does the underside of the magazine and the butt plate. The only other stamp seems to be the importer stamp which reads M44 Russian 7.62x54R C.A.I. Georgia VT. M44031555. The only other identifying mark I could find was on the back of the metal butt was the smallest 26 in a circle too which I wonder was an inspector stamp or something? Any information would be greatly helpful.

LINK TO PICTURES

http://www.coolervue.com/

I just put it on a template of a page I am building.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Help figuring out what I have 1946 M44?

Post by bunkysdad »

I agree. Your camera ain't making it! :P
However I know a nice 46 Izhevsk refurbished carbine when I see one and that is what you have. You got it for about 20% of it's value. Very good. Welcome to the forum and here is a forum hint: type I z z y all one word and the forum will change it to Izhevsk.
clueless

Re: Help figuring out what I have 1946 M44?

Post by clueless »

lol thank you. I am hoping to use my friends camera next week to get some better shots... I z z y is much easier to write lol. Yeah I got it from a friend who I sold a heavy barrel S 10 to a few years back for a steal and he said he was hoping to return the favor... I just had no idea how much he returned the favor... lol