Fly fishing

ponycarman

Fly fishing

Post by ponycarman »

Picked this up the other day. Been playing with it in the yard. Its quite fun. Gonna be going to the lake tomorrow and try to catch something. Got the fly setup and a telescopic cane pole to try out. Fun fun!

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Re: Fly fishing

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Looks nice---I have never even held a fly rod in my hand---I just don't understand it.

Give a report when you get back
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Hope you catch something worth eating!
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Why does one fish for "flyies"????? :roll:

Nah, really......
I tried that once. The fish probably had a good laugh! ;mywink;

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

have fun, I just use sticky paper to catch flies :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Will do guys. Probably with catch some tree branches haha.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

ponycarman wrote:Will do guys. Probably with catch some tree branches haha.
That's what I caught .....branches behind me!

Got a nice 22"one too! I quit early, ....I realized that hook had a better chance of hooking me then a fish. :roll:

Good luck!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have a 1920's vintage bamboo fishing pole with brass furniture and reel on it, long and heavy, I am told it's for ocean fishing. What the hell do I know, I bought it because it was an all or nothing deal for my elderly neighbors late fathers guns.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have a 1920's vintage bamboo fishing pole with brass furniture and reel on it, long and heavy, I am told it's for ocean fishing. What the hell do I know, I bought it because it was an all or nothing deal for my elderly neighbors late fathers guns.
Those bamboo rods can be worth quite a bit. It might be worth a gun or two.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

Well Done !!!!!

I fly fish in the Eastern Sierras of California. Love doing it. Am I any good? No. My wife is far better. Heading to the Silver State this weekend with my Nevada Non-Resident license to fish the Truckee River... Any reason to get out of California for a few days works for me...... :pointup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It would be on eBay already if I could figure out how to ship it without damage, it's long. I was told that it should come apart, but if so the parts are stuck and I am unwilling to force anything when I don't know for sure were, or even if it comes apart. The last owner died in 1953, his son in law added new line before he died in 1988, and the pole has not been touched since.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It would be on eBay already if I could figure out how to ship it without damage, it's long. I was told that it should come apart, but if so the parts are stuck and I am unwilling to force anything when I don't know for sure were, or even if it comes apart. The last owner died in 1953, his son in law added new line before he died in 1988, and the pole has not been touched since.
Any pics?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I took some in 2005, can't find them, I will have to dig it out and take more, but not now, a thunderstorm is acting up outside.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Sounds like a neat bamboo rod. They are some of the most expensive ones from what I've seen. I'm sure it is probably quite valuable like milman said. Maybe drip some antiseaze or wax on the joints to free them up.

I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Hope I catch something haha. Anything that swims would make me happy. It will be an interesting experience.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

ponycarman wrote:Sounds like a neat bamboo rod. They are some of the most expensive ones from what I've seen. I'm sure it is probably quite valuable like milman said. Maybe drip some antiseaze or wax on the joints to free them up.

I'm gonna give it a shot tomorrow. Hope I catch something haha. Anything that swims would make me happy. It will be an interesting experience.
Anything that swims....be careful what you wish for, remember Jaws? Good luck :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Haha ain't no fish that big in these lakes. They are fairly small compared to some other lakes in my area. No matter, I like them. Good scenery if I don't catch anything haha. Plus if I hook something like that my glock will be getting a workout :lol: :biggrin:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

None of them in there either haha. I have seen some snakes and caught one large snapping turtle. That bugger was mean haha.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Today was a day of firsts. First solo fishing trip (I have always gone with someone else), first time fly fishing, and first time using a telescopic cane pole. Boy was it fun. Had a great time! Caught 4-5 fish on the fly setup and about the same on the cane pole. About 8-10 fish. I stopped counting after a while. Only one came home with me all others were too small and tossed back. All but one was a bluegill. The one was a tiny little bass about 4-5in long lol.

I learned alot and got alot of practice. Did alot of overhand casting, side casting, and roll casting. Not perfect yet but that will come with time I guess. It was probablythe most fun I have ever had fishing . The largest bluegill I caught was under some bushes. There was just enough opening to sling a fly under it. I was using a foam spider. A couple seconds after it landed the fish nailed it. Super fun!

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You didn't fall in, only the fish died, sounds like a good day fishing :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Theodore Roosevelt