Cap and ball impulse buy

If it fires black powder, it is discussed here.
Misfit

Cap and ball impulse buy

Post by Misfit »

So here I am watching youtube and in the suggested video links is a channel called cap and ball. I have seen some of his videos before and really find him interesting to watch. After watching a few of his videos I decide to check out prices on cap and ball revolvers. I find out cabellas is having a sale this weekend. Sure enough I find a Pietta 1858 new army revolver for 220 shipped to my door. So what do I do? I buy it of course. Now this makes for my second bp gun although my werndel will not be shot. Looks like I need to now get my some accessories to be able to take it to the range this week.
desdem12

Re: Cap and ball impulse buy

Post by desdem12 »

Fun pistols. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The 1858 Remington is a classic, and I love mine, although I have not shot it yet. I got it in a trade and it is a 45 year old Pietta brass frame. You will love it. Cabelas also has a simple starter pack for these.
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

I was looking at the starter pack an have decided to piece together my own
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That sounds good. Hopefully all the items are easy to find. BP components like caps and substitute black powder are pretty easy to find in my area. (N. Texas). If you buy enough stuff to justify paying a 28.00 hazmat fee then prices on black powder is really good at Grafs.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Use the starter pack as your guide for the basic needs, and ask questions, do not guess, if you are unsure of something. There are many BP shooters here, I own at least 6 1858 Remington's , short barrel, regular issue, blued and stainless, target model and so on. I have several thousand rounds of more fired from these revolvers, they are sturdy, and dependable. Be sure you understand how to clean up after BP shooting, and how to load properly, understand the real black powders as well as the substitute 's like Pyrodex or triple 7.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

I know youtube isnt always the best place to learn proper technique but I've been watching videos non stop on how to load and clean it. It seems like for cleaning it I have to treat it like corrosive ammo has touched everything.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Misfit wrote:I know youtube isnt always the best place to learn proper technique but I've been watching videos non stop on how to load and clean it. It seems like for cleaning it I have to treat it like corrosive ammo has touched everything.
Hot soapy water for the powder fouling, a bore brush for any leading and a coat of oil afterwards.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice! I have the Pietta 1851 Navy, a lot of fun to shoot! Mine came with two cylinders so I get 12 shots between reloads! :chuckles:

Powder is easy to find here, #10 caps are not, I'm using #11 caps and squeezing them a little so they stay on.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

A few of my friends have their ffl so getting caps, powder and such shouldn't be a problem for me at all. I'm getting quite excited
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You do not need an FFL to purchase caps or powder. You need to be 21 or older, and have money, you can even mail order them, but they will hit you with a haz-mat shipping fee, and will not ship caps and powder in the same shipment.
Theodore Roosevelt
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

But if I do it myself I will not get wholesale discounts :)
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

I have a Pietta that I found in the used gun case at a local gun shop but I have not shot it yet. Let us know how yours shoots. :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

I'll let you know when I get it and everything else I need
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have a few also.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Mike

Post by Mike »

If you've never shot your cap and ball revolver, just go do it, trust me, it is fun! :D

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52JBha4Y ... 04cfiiAgqw[/BBvideo]

[BBvideo 425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqxKhcXY ... qw&index=3[/BBvideo]
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Nice short videos Mike. Here is my old Pietta Remington, and the Hawken before I pulled the scope off of it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Misfit

Post by Misfit »

Well it came in Thursday and I am quite impressed with the girl. I'll take some pictures here's