My 1911's new outfit.

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
ponycarman

My 1911's new outfit.

Post by ponycarman »

Got a new set of grips for my rock island. Still waiting for the new grips screws (old ones are stripping out) and the arched mainspring housing. I like the old ones but wanted something a little less aggressive and more classic looking. Got the new ones on yesterday and love them. Also removed the magwell.

Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: My 1911's new outfit.

Post by bunkysdad »

Very nice. I can't believe how easy the grip screws can be buggered on a 1911. It takes a perfect fitting flat blade to keep it from happening.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

The screws in mine are hex headed. No idea why they stripped. I've been having to wedge a star/torx bit in them to remove them lol. I have some new slotted ones on the way.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Nice grips!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Thanks. I thought they mimicked wood grain and color well while keeping the durability of the micarta.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Why did you remove the magwell?
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

It was the style that was secured under the grip screws. Didn't really like it. It made complete disassembly more complicated. Also the mags I am hoping to order don't have the pads on the base. It would make it harder to fully seat the mag. Also just wanted to kinda strip it down and look more classic. Less tactical. Its not a competition pistol or anything.

Later on if I see the need for it I may install it again or get one built into the mainspring housing.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Well, that makes sense, I don't think I would like one of the screw on type either.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Got the other stuff in today. Swapped on the slotted screws and arched mainspring housing. Feels much better to my hands. I'm really liking it.

The slots in the mainspring housing match pretty nicely with the slots in the front of the grip frame.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Never been a fan of the arched MSH, but how does it feel and function?
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Functions fine. It was pretty easy to swap out. Took 10-15min. It feels fine to me. Widens out the grip just a bit. It may be 1911 blasphemy but I carry a glock on a regular basis. The arched housing mimics the glock grip angle and bump in the grip. I can switch between the platforms a bit easier now. I already have the muscle memory down for the glock so it made sense for me to try to mold my 1911 around what I'm already used too.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

ponycarman wrote:Functions fine. It was pretty easy to swap out. Took 10-15min. It feels fine to me. Widens out the grip just a bit. It may be 1911 blasphemy but I carry a glock on a regular basis. The arched housing mimics the glock grip angle and bump in the grip. I can switch between the platforms a bit easier now. I already have the muscle memory down for the glock so it made sense for me to try to mold my 1911 around what I'm already used too.
Blasphemy! Expect to be burned at the stake ahh, sometime next week. :shock:

Joking aside, if it works for you, go for it!
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Haha I figured as much :lol: . I am hoping to start carring it some though. Just need a few more mags and some hollow points. It seems to work alright for me so far. I like the arched housing. Looks more classic.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Gotta love those Rock Islands! :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah, I would say that looks real good. Now we need a range report.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

:thumbsup: sure thing. I have a box of ammo ready and a week off. Planning to go sometime this next week :biggrin:

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

For hollow points, the Rem Golden Sabers ran great through my RIA, and it was a bit picky about ammo.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I'll try a couple to see. I like the hornady critical defense and duty lines. Might give gold dots a try as well. I don't have any yet. I'll grab some eventually lol.

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)