Ammo question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum

Ammo question

Post by WWW »

Who can school me on this 54r ammo? All I know so far is that the two green cans are on stripper clips. The other one, I am not sure.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.

Re: Ammo question

Post by WWW »

No one? I'm trying to figure out if the one in the second picture is worth going back for. They are all the same size "cans" but the contents in the can in the second picture slide back and forth (as one solid mass), so it is definitely packaged differently than the other two.
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I'd consider going back if it's cheap enough Bulgarian Surplus?.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

This might help, I've seen some better charts posted here on the forum but can't locate them.
spam-can-markings-resize.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Outstanding reply redspoon.

Need better pixs before anyone can reply unless they've got better eyes than mine.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

They had a picture in the link I provided that looks very close to the can on the right. So it seems to be 250 round tins of Bulgarian Surplus on stripper clips.

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It isn't easy to find that stuff so if you have the cash you should get it if you ever want to see any more than you already have again. If someone has several for sale I bet they sat on it for years and are just now deciding to sell it.
Pip6214

Post by Pip6214 »

I'm guessing the bottom it is 1950's Bulgarian lps. Text and marking locations look like the heavy ball cans minus the yellow stripe and factory 10 making

Post by WWW »

Sorry about the bad pics. All I had on me was a lousy cellphone.

Well, here are better pics of the two I brought home. The unpainted can that I didn't get was the same size, but packed differently as I said earlier, as the contents were shifting inside the can.

I paid $90 each, which is more per round than the normal surplus round, but these come on strippers.

Btw, it isn't really visible in the picture, but the one unpainted can I didn't bring home had a date code of 1950, if it follows the date sequence like the others do.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

I'm going to have to do a little research on these. Never seen a small green tin like that. Looks like 250rds of light ball, brass cased (Л ГЛ) Broken down I think (Л) stands for light ball and ( ГЛ ) stands for brass cased. Not sure if it's on strippers. Not sure but it looks like the one is at least 1942 or the powder year was which can be before the actual production year. They used those square soldered tins up to the 60s. Some were painted green during the 60s, some weren't then they switched to the spam cans some time in the 60s. The other unpainted tin looks like the stuff we were getting a few years ago that was on strippers. It ranged from early 40s to early 50s. The stuff I have is 1947. Those were 300rds per tin on strippers. I'd need to see a better picture of it to say much more about it though. Might just be LPS not on strippers.

There's symbol definitions and some samples of packaging here down the page. http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinAmmoID01.htm

Below is another reference I use to identify Cyrillic charactors.

Post by WWW »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

The LGS actually still had another green tin there, like one of the ones I already bought. Then there was the unpainted one which I don't see how it could contain 300 rounds on strippers when the contents moved around inside, compared to the green painted tins which have 250 rounds on strippers.

So, is $90 considered a decent price these days for this sort of stuff?
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

If they are on original Russian stripper clips, it's well worth the price even if the price per round is higher.
Original clips are getting harder to find. Great find!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is a good price, and if those are Bulgarian strippers they are the best stripper clips I have seen without a doubt.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

WWW wrote:Thanks for the replies, guys.

The LGS actually still had another green tin there, like one of the ones I already bought. Then there was the unpainted one which I don't see how it could contain 300 rounds on strippers when the contents moved around inside, compared to the green painted tins which have 250 rounds on strippers.

So, is $90 considered a decent price these days for this sort of stuff?
The 300rd tins and the crates of 600rds they came in with strippers are the same size as the 440rd spam cans and crates of 880rds. They have less rounds in them because of the strippers. Here's the post I made with pictures of the crates, tins and ammo. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =30&t=5182 I couldn't tell how big the unpainted tin you posted was but if you look at the thread it'll give you an idea to compare them. There was also soldered unpainted tins of lead core 1940s to 1960s not on strippers for sale about the same time. They were 440rd/tins also.

Post by WWW »

Thanks Weldonhunter. I stopped by the LGS again today that is selling these. I bought one more painted tin and I bought one unpainted tin. I will open up the unpainted tin later tonight to see what is inside and will post the results here.

As it turns out, this LGS has at least 50 more tins of both types in the back room. They were only putting out a few at a time.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

If you get tired of being awash in stripper clips, I'd take a some off your hands. I'm thinking of buying some for display and historical valve. But online you run the risk of fakes and I'm not interested in the cheap knockoffs.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

For what it's worth, the cans that are soldered shut contain ammunition on strippers while the cans with the seams (the ones with the obvious lip that you open with a 'can opener') contain ammunition in tied packs w/o strippers. YMMV
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

Color me uninformed.

What do the initials LGS stand for?
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

LGS = Local Gun Shop
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

MnMosin

Post by MnMosin »

jones0430 wrote:Color me uninformed.

What do the initials LGS stand for?
Local Gun Store

:)
Mark in MN