Need Advice

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mikerb55

Need Advice

Post by mikerb55 »

Hi All,

I just came back from a local gun show and there was a fair collection of M91/30's. I just missed out on a '41 Finn capture with the SA mark for $160. But the most interesting find was an 1896 Dragoon with a hex receiver. The gun seemed to be in fairly good condition for it's age. The dealer was asking $300 which included some ammo. Is the price too high or is it reasonable? I also found a '34 Hex Tula without a cleaning round or any importer's marks. This dealer was asking less than $150. I'm planning on going back tomorrow and need your advice on the 1896 or the "34 Hex. :shock:
John Wayne as John Bernard Books (The Shootist):
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
desdem12

Re: Need Advice

Post by desdem12 »

I would probably buy the 1896 at that price if it wasn't too bad. Try for a cheaper deal but if he is giving ammo i think you will be fine at that price. A non import or refurbed 91/30 is easily worth the asking price. Are they from the same guy? I would try for a package deal like $350 and then you can't loose. :D :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

An antique Dragoon is a BIG find. And for $300, which seems to be the minimum money for an antique or a later Dragoon by themselves, it is a literal steal.

I don't know how much one would sell for on Gunbroker, but I guarantee it will approach, if not exceed, $500.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

It's kind if high but if its enough ammo to off set the price, then go for it. It all depends in how bad you want it.

Now that Martin chimed in, you see what I know.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You are familiar with the dragoon rifle and the M1891 infantry rifle, and the differences between them? A Dragoon rifle is essentially the 91/30 with M91 sights to give a quick and dirty description. The Dragoon will also have solid bands rather than the screw bands of the M91 or the split bands of the 91/30. It's the same length as the 91/30, a few inches shorter than the M91. $300 is what I would expect to see on an old Imperial era M1891 rifle, sometimes they sell for more on GB, but local sale $300 is average. The early dragoon rifle is entirely another matter, the ones most often encountered are from the Communist era, 20's mostly, my own is a 1927 Izhevsk, an 1896 is good original condition should bring twice that $300 asking price, maybe more.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

desdem12 wrote:I would probably buy the 1896 at that price if it wasn't too bad. Try for a cheaper deal but if he is giving ammo i think you will be fine at that price. A non import or refurbed 91/30 is easily worth the asking price. Are they from the same guy? I would try for a package deal like $350 and then you can't loose. :D :D

No, 2 different dealers.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them."
crwjr

Post by crwjr »

what gun show, I know the INDY 1500 is going on this week its a 2 1/2hr drive for me.. didnt make it this year.. :toast:
”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.”
~George Washington
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

If that was indeed a Dragoon for $300 that was a steal unless it was a major pile. Things to consider are; Is it still in the Dragoon stock? Is it Finn? or is it in a 91/30 stock?

Can you go back & get it?????

Check out the mainpage to do a little research for next time. You gotta jump on those deals when they present themselves.... Or call me! :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

Rongoman wrote:If that was indeed a Dragoon for $300 that was a steal unless it was a major pile. Things to consider are; Is it still in the Dragoon stock? Is it Finn? or is it in a 91/30 stock?

Can you go back & get it?????

Check out the mainpage to do a little research for next time. You gotta jump on those deals when they present themselves.... Or call me! :vcool:
Rongoman,

I'm planning on going back to the show today to see if it's still there. The vendor gave me his name & phone number as well. How do I contact you while I'm there? :vconfused:
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

OK, so I went back on Sunday and looked this rifle over again. It looks very much like this rifle from the forum's info page;

Pekhotniya vintovka obr. 1891g.
(Model 1891 Three-Line Rifle)

I also noticed that it had an SA stamp on the receiver. So it's apparently not a Dragoon, but I'm still interested and the dealer did not sell this gun by the end of the show. I have his name and number and he's going to have it until his next show on the 28th & 29th of this month. I did get to look down the barrel, and though it was dark and dirty, it seemed very cleanable and shootable. It didn't seem to be counterbored either. The bolt worked very easy, however the serial numbers don't match.

So, what have I found and what is it worth to purchase? :?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

By the sound of things it is a Finn marked (the SA stamp) M1891 rifle, $300 is in the normal range for these as I said. Now the other rifle is also SA marked ( 34 Tula 91/30)? $150 is not out of line for a Finn marked Soviet rifle. The M1891 they probably captured when Finland split from Russia in 1918, or bought from the Germans between the wars, the 91/39 they would have captured during the Winter, or Continuation wars. Either one sounds like a nice find.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mikerb55

Post by mikerb55 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:By the sound of things it is a Finn marked (the SA stamp) M1891 rifle, $300 is in the normal range for these as I said. Now the other rifle is also SA marked ( 34 Tula 91/30)? $150 is not out of line for a Finn marked Soviet rifle. The M1891 they probably captured when Finland split from Russia in 1918, or bought from the Germans between the wars, the 91/39 they would have captured during the Winter, or Continuation wars. Either one sounds like a nice find.
JYD,

Thanks for the update on the 1896 rifle. It's good to know that he wasn't trying to take advantage of a novice. The other Finn was a 1941 that looked exceptional, but was counterbored and had a very dark barrel. It was offered to me at $150. The '34 Hex Tula was priced at $175 and had no import markings. The '41 Finn got sold, but the dealers still had the other 2 at the end of the show. I also found a '41 Izhevsk that had a very rough receiver and a crack in the stock for $75, which was tempting, but I know nothing about stock repair. There was also a '39 Tula Round, which was in very good shape that would have been a good mate to my '39 Izhevsk for $125 with the accessories. Way too many choices for me. :mrgreen:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

WELL!!! I wouldn't be doin my job if i didn't tell you to buy them all and that would eliminate all choices.BUYBUYBUYBUY :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The $75 cracked stock one would have been interesting. A wood clamp and some crazy glue for wood both found at the local home improvement store would fix that. Mosins with stock cracks are common, birch cracks, it's not the best of hardwoods it's just what the Russians and Finns had a lot of. Walnut is the best, Maple is the most sought, but is for sporters.
Theodore Roosevelt