500 yds with an M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

500 yds with an M91

Post by racerguy00 »

Took a recently acquired '37 Izhevsk and my 1899 dated Finn rework Sestroryetsk out to the right-of-way that we are able to use as a long distance range. Full distance is almost 1200 yds, we set up a 30x50 piece of plywood with a target at what works out to 507 yds according to gps.

The 91/30 went first and had some issues. The first round went boom and you could see the bullet splash with perfect elevation but to the left by a foot or so. The next two rounds were misfires. The head space and firing pin depth are fine, so I set it off to the side. When I got home I found that it seems that the firing pin spring had a few coils removed for some reason, weakening it. It was shorter than my spare, I swapped it out. I'll take that rifle out again soon.

The m91 was odd. 1899 Finn rework. Counter-bored with great rifling. The first two shots hit WAY high. I adjusted down until the 300 meter setting put me on target. I settled in and fired 14 more shots with a lot of time in between to let it cool and for the wind to die down. I ended up with 8 of 15 total rounds through the m91 on paper.

Lots of fun, my son and my cousin's son enjoyed it as well.

Pics:
Yes there's a target there.

Zoomed in a bit

Final tally, enough to make you at least duck for sure
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
BubbaDX

Re: 500 yds with an M91

Post by BubbaDX »

That's pretty good shootin for 500 yards. The target had to be smaller than the front sight at that distance. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

:thumbsup: I'd stay out of your way.
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I just centered the entire target over the the tip of the front sight blade as best I could.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Those Zombies are still alive!!! You got to hit 'em in the head. This is also a perfect example of why not to shorten firing pin springs to make the safety "easier" to use or the rifle "easier" to cock as we see in so many posts asking about it. I see the target in the first picture...barely. I think I'd have a hard time even hitting the whole damn thing. You did pretty good. Way better then I would have, lol.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

oh boy oh boy!!! 500 yards? What fun!!! I got this Remington that could probably........... hehehehe :D

Yes, it would take a large, no LARGE target for 500 yards. I bet I have to travel a long way to find a place to shoot that distance.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

jimpierce7 wrote:oh boy oh boy!!! 500 yards? What fun!!! I got this Remington that could probably........... hehehehe :D

Yes, it would take a large, no LARGE target for 500 yards. I bet I have to travel a long way to find a place to shoot that distance.
Jim this is a bit of a haul but you could make a day of it. Actually you were just up there. I've mentioned it before I think. Sacramento Valley Shooting Center http://www.sacvalley.org/membership.html They have a 300yd range for non members. If you're a member they have a 1000yd range. If you go to this link http://www.sacvalley.org/rangemap.html you can click on the different areas of the map and it shows you more info. about each section of the club. I've been there but it was almost 10 years ago. Shot trap and skeet as well as pistol (Ruger Redhawk 44Mag.) and the 300yd range. I shot my Polish M44 and the VZ24 Mauser at that range.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Cool man. Now that's something I would like to try. A 30 foot by 50 foot target at 507 yards! Paint it blaze orange and I'll even bring the ammo! :grin:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Hard to see the center of the target at that range. If not for the power lines, reactive target would be fun at those distances.

There is a range north of me that I am thinking about joining due to their 1300 yard range.
Kollaa kestää
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

My niece's b/f won't take his gun out unless he has at least 200 yards to play with. I think it is a .308? I know the rounds are real pricey for him. New baby, not a lot of work, that kind of thing.

I might have to make that trip to Sac. I have family in that area too. Besides the step son even. I would love to try the longer ranges. 500 I think would be the most. The target would have to be too big after that with iron sights. lol And I got some full sheets of plywood...........
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

jimpierce7 wrote:My niece's b/f won't take his gun out unless he has at least 200 yards to play with. I think it is a .308? I know the rounds are real pricey for him. New baby, not a lot of work, that kind of thing.

I might have to make that trip to Sac. I have family in that area too. Besides the step son even. I would love to try the longer ranges. 500 I think would be the most. The target would have to be too big after that with iron sights. lol And I got some full sheets of plywood...........
The place is massive Jim. Just makes sure you read through the requirements for the different ranges before you go. They're not all available to the public. Some require you be a member and their may be other requirements. You can see on the map what's public and what requires membership. I went with a few buddies in like 2005 or 2006. We were only coming from Tracy so it wasn't that bad. We mainly went for the Trap but shoot a little of everything while we were there.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

WeldonHunter wrote:Those Zombies are still alive!!! You got to hit 'em in the head. This is also a perfect example of why not to shorten firing pin springs to make the safety "easier" to use or the rifle "easier" to cock as we see in so many posts asking about it. I see the target in the first picture...barely. I think I'd have a hard time even hitting the whole damn thing. You did pretty good. Way better then I would have, lol.
No worries... As they shuffle towards you they get easier to hit. :lol:

Good shooting for that distance. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: 8-) 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

You young'uns make me sick! I can barely see the telephone poles much less the target! :lol: :lol: I shoot at 6 inch clay pigeons at about 350 yards and I have quite a job doing that. Get a good consistent weather and ammo I may get in a grove and nail 3 in a row at times when my luck is up! Bill :D
emcon5

Post by emcon5 »

jimpierce7 wrote:My niece's b/f won't take his gun out unless he has at least 200 yards to play with. I think it is a .308? I know the rounds are real pricey for him. New baby, not a lot of work, that kind of thing.

The Sac Valley range is a roadtrip from the Bay area, but it is manageable.

They do a Silhouette match for military rifles at Sac valley I believe the 3rd Saturday of the month.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the 1000 yard range is open even for members, just for competitions. It may have changed, but that is what I was told the last time I was there, a couple years ago. They used to have a surplus military match from time to time, not sure if it is still going on, 2 Sighter shots and 10 rounds for record in 12 minutes at 300, 500 and 600 yards. Unlimited Sighter shots and 10 rounds for record in 15 minutes at 800 yards. All shot from the prone position.

Details and some discussion from some past matches:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=640011
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=424408

Chabot ( http://chabotgunclub.com/ ) also has a 200 yard range, they do military bolt gun matches.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=869719

The 200 yard range used to be open to the public on Friday mornings, and occasionally 1 Saturday a month, if there were no matches scheduled. Not sure of the current schedule.

If you really want to stretch your distance shooting, come to Reno, the public line at the Washoe county shooting range has steel at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 and 950 yards.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

If you go to the link above that goes to the range map online you can click the different sections of the map and it gives you an over view of each range section and the availability. This is for the range 12 or the 1000yd range. http://www.sacvalley.org/files/rangerul ... ge12PP.pdf I think it is available but you have to be a member and get approval to use it. There is this range too. Range 6 or 500M http://www.sacvalley.org/files/rangerul ... ge06PP.pdf Range 3 or the 300yrd range is most likely the one Jim would be interested in. http://www.sacvalley.org/files/rangerul ... ge03PP.pdf Anything beyond that I think scoped rifles would be the best firearm to use for most of us old farts.

emcon5 wrote:

The Sac Valley range is a roadtrip from the Bay area, but it is manageable.

They do a Silhouette match for military rifles at Sac valley I believe the 3rd Saturday of the month.

I may be wrong, but I don't think the 1000 yard range is open even for members, just for competitions. It may have changed, but that is what I was told the last time I was there, a couple years ago. They used to have a surplus military match from time to time, not sure if it is still going on, 2 Sighter shots and 10 rounds for record in 12 minutes at 300, 500 and 600 yards. Unlimited Sighter shots and 10 rounds for record in 15 minutes at 800 yards. All shot from the prone position.

Details and some discussion from some past matches:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=424408

Chabot ( http://chabotgunclub.com/ ) also has a 200 yard range, they do military bolt gun matches.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/show ... p?t=869719

The 200 yard range used to be open to the public on Friday mornings, and occasionally 1 Saturday a month, if there were no matches scheduled. Not sure of the current schedule.

If you really want to stretch your distance shooting, come to Reno, the public line at the Washoe county shooting range has steel at 300, 400, 500, 600, 700 and 950 yards.
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

@ least on the power lines you can set up and visit using either a 4 WD or ATV :thumbsup:

Doubt the club provides a golf cart to go back and forth :furious:

It was enough back in the '60's working the pits @ P.I. which was the old Able course @ 500 yds.; I was much younger. :shifty: