Ready for action...at last! 44US(b)

Rim Fire Firearms
MN Fan

Ready for action...at last! 44US(b)

Post by MN Fan »

Thanks all for putting up with me during this little project. It was a lot of fun and I am pretty happy with how it turned out.

To start, its a 1946 Mossberg Model 44US(b) civilian issue bolt action rifle. It has a 7 round .22LR/L/HVS mag with a 13/16" diameter barrel, lapped bore and adjustable trigger. The stock sighting is a Mossberg S-130 micro-adjust rear peep sight and the front is a ramped, selectable aperture blade/peep sight.

Sorry to repost, but here is how she came home:

There are more photos in the Restoration Forum if you're really bored :)

Here's how she is today, ready at last. She's now wearing a Simmons 6-24X44 scope with side parallax adjustment and 30/30 receptacle. The rings were a bit tricky...I wanted to make sure for one that I could keep the original peep sight mounted. Second, it would be nice if I could still actually use it with the scope mounted too lol. I finally found the UTG high profile rings worked really well. The scope mount is from Havlin Sales and required no alteration other than adding a couple of tiny lock washers since the screws were a touch too long. Havlin also provided the replacement front sight hood, red/green safety dots and a replacement trigger tension plunger. The bipod is mounted on a short picattany rail I drilled to utilize the existing front swivel mounting holes. I am not sure if its going to stay on the rifle or not, but its easy to take off if I decide not to use it.

It will be a blast competing with a 66 year old rifle. I hope she shoots as good as I think she's going to. It will all be worth it if she does :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Ready for action...at last! 44US(b)

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You got enough glass on that thing? You must be as blind as me, looks like a rifle even I could hit the target with :) Good job, now for the $64,000 question, how does it shoot?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I wanted the target dot to look like it was a paper plate so even I could see it :)

I hope it shoots well, I'll find out this week-end. Again, I'm stuck inside with 25 yards max, but it should be enough to see if she repeats :?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

If it shoots like it looks they will all be in one hole...sweet :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That turned out nice. Can't wait to see some targets. 8-) 8-) 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I saw the scope and thought this must be a .338 Lapua...... :lol: :lol:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Thanks guys. I am pretty anxious to shoot it! I picked it up just before Christmas, but it seems like I've been waiting several months!

The scope was interesting...I did a lot of research and tried to figure out what I wanted. This scope of course is for target shooting. I have an original Mossberg scope that will sit on it when its in the rack. Anyway, I decided what features I wanted and started shopping. I got scared right away lol. Most everything I wanted was 5 times what I paid for the rifle. I looked most every night for about a week. I finally found one this model that seemed pretty reasonable. It was just over $200...still way more than I wanted to pay, but it was half anything else I had found. Then I find it on Amazon for somewhere around $170. I was about to order it, then I see some links on the page and followed them to the Amazon Warehouse. This scope was listed at $85, like new with a small blemish. I decided to take the risk and bought it. It took me a bit to even find the blemish! There was a small chip in the tube coating that was about the diameter of a pencil lead. Even though the spot is below the mounting rings, I did a quick touch with a black sharpie and she looks as good as new :)
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Impressive job, :vcool: Have to say with the heavy barrel and scope it kinda does look like a sniper setup. :toast:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

I want to see Wolfys Target paper. Then the name of the witness whom signs off on it. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sorry Wolfy, could not resist! :)
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

We're not that far away from each other. We need to get together and shoot for a day this summer. Then you can sign the target :)
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

MN Fan wrote:We're not that far away from each other. We need to get together and shoot for a day this summer. Then you can sign the target :)
We need to just do that! Take several rifles of all types out to a range. A range of at least 200 yards for the long rifles. It would be a good time for
us. On Interstate 80, it is 306 miles between Davenport and the East edge of Omaha at the Missouri River Bridge. I just don't know of a range in between. Do you?
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

No, but I'll start looking here before too long. I wouldn't mind driving to your area, it would be good to see that part of the country again.

It would be a lot of fun!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

You guys should do that. I have had good experiences with the forum members I have met in person.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nice rifle MN :)
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well dang. It's nearly 4:00am & I'm having insomnia and then I find this! Cliff you did an amazing job. What a beauty. I want one of these worse than ever now.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Very nice job, MN :clap: You did a great job with her. I'd love to squeeze some rounds off with it. :clap:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Target rifle, not sniper rifle, a sniper rifle is a weapon that has stalked and killed a human being in combat, something I hope this rifle is never used for :beek:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

No, but if this f***ing fly doesn't quit bothering me, its going to become a sniper rifle of sorts! Mid winter in Nebraska and I've got a fly in my house. And of course, he has to occupy the same 20 cubic feet of space that I do.

Thanks for the comments guys. I am happy with how it turned out and still can't believe a 66 year old .22 civilian rifle was made of this quality and with these features.

By the way, it's a "full size" rifle when compared to any other .22s I own. It has the weight and feel of a center fire rifle. I know the military issued model was used as a trainer...but training for what? I think it was just a general marksmanship trainer versus training for a specific rifle.

It will be fun to shoot and I'm looking forward to being able to walk in with range approved ammo for once :)

Thanks again...
BlakeM44

Post by BlakeM44 »

bunkysdad wrote:I want one of these worse than ever now.
Well I can help you with that. I know a guy that has one, he never fired it. It was his dad's. It's been sitting in his attic for years, and he only wants 125.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
~Thomas Jefferson
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Get a photo from him and post it here. If BD doesn't want it, I might :)