Tikka M28

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
cj1964

Tikka M28

Post by cj1964 »

I got a call from a friend/fellow collector who's been having health problems. A big pile of doctor bills prompted him to offer me an M28. Since it was a model I didn't have I had to go take a look! To be honest, I didn't know what I was buying except that it had a Tikka barrel and appeared to be an original "survivor".
After a little research I discovered that I bought a rifle from the final production run of M28's (s/n 30101-33016). The final contract was placed in October 1931, but production delays make it difficult to say exactly when it was made. The SAKO gear is actually part of the serial number. Some of these later models came with M28/30 stocks and/or rear sights, but this is a standard M28 and doesn't even have a jam-free magazine. It's got an SA stamp, so it was transferred to the army at some point but doesn't appear to have been reworked... except for maybe the stock.
I didn't take a close up, but the stock has a boxed AV number and crossed cannon makers mark. Does anyone know if these stocks came on civil guard rifles? I'm thinking it may have been an army stock that was added later, but I don't know for sure. There is no SYT mark in the finger groove. The overall finish is matte, except for around the wrist area where it's got a nice shiny petina from actual use.
I offered him $420 which I thought was fair to both of us. Now that I know what I have I think I got a good deal!
Comments/opinions are welcome - thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimpierce7

Re: Tikka M28

Post by jimpierce7 »

ok. That rifle looks "old". I love it!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: Good deal.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
h bone

Post by h bone »

I say a very good deal. You don't see that sako gear wheel on m28s, that is uncommon.
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Nice looking M28 :thumbsup:
Resembles mine which is S/N 31264 w/ the Sako mark before the ser. no. and an S after.
Also has the Tikka T inside of the upside down triangle, and has 2 D's stamped on the top of the barrel.
Includes that little "KE" mark above the serial no. like yours has.
There is a s/n stamped in the stock, but doesn't match the barrel.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Good deal and helped out a friend in need also :thumbsup: very nice rifle, congrats. That sling is pretty cool also. :vcool: :vcool:
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Very nice M28. I think you got a great deal. :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh yeah she's a nice one. This represents the best way to buy when the rare chance presents itself. The only milsurp I have bought from a friend is a Chinese Mauser, but I have acquired several less milsurply firearms from friends. Isn't it fun? :P:P8-)
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Nice one again! I wouldn't think you had room for more... You must have them stacked to the ceiling!
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very nice addition to the collection, congrats! 8-) :thumbsup:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Oh ya, that's the good stuff alright. Nice deal. :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)