Hand prime vs prime on press

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
soylentblue

Hand prime vs prime on press

Post by soylentblue »

I've been looking at the Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Kits - there are two varieties that appear to differ only in how you prime:
What is the difference between the Anniversary Kit (Item# 423081) and the Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press kit (Item# 121744)?
The main difference is the priming feature, the Anniversary kit utilizes a press mounted priming feature, when the Breech Lock Single stage kit utilizes a Lee hand primer and shellholders

So, what do you all think is better? hand prime or prime on the press?

As a parallel question, anybody use the hand press? It looks to me like it would be too hard to have to always have to use one hand to hold onto the press and do all the operations with just one free hand. The price makes it attractive, though. I plan to be reloading 9mm, 30-06 & 223
no4shot

Re: Hand prime vs prime on press

Post by no4shot »

Not sure how the press mounted primer works on a lee but i have one on one of my presses. I never use it. I have a handheld rcbs and it is much better. Imo

Sent from my LG-LS860 using Tapatalk
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

I like the hand prime better. I am not a very experienced reloader yet. I got the lee kit with the prime on press . While it works I can't seem to feel as well when the primer is seated fully. I used a buddies hand primer and it was 100% easier. Easy to feel and less effort. I plan on getting one asap when I start reloading more.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I use the priming arm on my RCBS single stage press. It works just fine. I didn't see the need to buy yet another accessory.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

My preference is the hand priming tool, but maybe because you can leave the seating die in the press. It kind of depends on how you like to lay everything out. For instance if you just wanted to load a box or two to take to the range, you could hand prime and leave the seating die in the press. If you wanted to resize a large number of cases one night, prime them all the next night then you could just use the press mounted priming tool. It is easier on the hand after doing a lot of them at once because of the easier leverage of the press. They both work good. Lee now has 3 different hand presses. I just have the original, and I have trouble getting traction on the little lever arm after awhile, but that may be some Carpal Tunnel Syndrome thing going on from too many years as a mechanic. :P
I kind of want to buy the new one, the Ergo Prime or whatever they call it.
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Post by websterz »

I love my Lee Auto Prime! Just finished priming 500 rounds of .40S&W and 300 rounds of .45acp from the comfort of my recliner! :thumbsup:
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I use the on-press primer that came with my Lee turret. It works fine and nothing more to buy.
Ken in Iowa

Post by Ken in Iowa »

I have used many different priming methods over the years.

Press priming is ok for beginners. They can break too however.

The Lyman 310 tool priming unit works well. I still use it for 30/40. A classic tool for a classic cartridge.

The venerable Lee Loader caused the only primer explosion that I have experienced.

I have broken more Lee priming tools (including the auto prime) than I care to admit.

Finally I invested in an RCBS hand primer and have been delighted with it. The new Lee ergo prime looks like it is quite similar. Hopefully it stands up better than the old ones.

Paying $40-50 for a quality hand primer is great if you are loading lots of ammo. For the beginner loading a box or two of shells, the press tool is just fine.
notalwaysmoden

Post by notalwaysmoden »

Having a Lee ram prime and an Lee auto prime, both the old round and the new square. Along with an old Lee single stage press I am restricted to hand priming but do not feel disadvantaged at all, the sense of feel you get is comforting, for me at least, has worked for the last 40 years and will most likely see me out. The other thing that works for me at least is that I have been able to convert the old round tray LR,AP by opening up the channel and drilling out the slide hole with a 7mm drill. Doing this means that you can force a .22 case onto the pin and then you can use the Auto Prime to do 1/4" Berdan primers as well, works for the mil serp .303B and 7.62 x 54R, but then maybe I am a bit different.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I've done both. I prefer the Lee hand press. I get a better feel for depth seating, which is crucial for reliable ignition. I do make sure the primer goes in the lift facing up before I put the case in the holder to eliminate any possibility of upside-down primers, the bane of automatic primer feeds in progressive loaders.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

I prefer the hand priming tool, that way I can prime the cases while spending time with my lady watching the tube, or just relaxing. Also, the "feel" is better when seating the primers with the hand tool.
Jon
RickW

Post by RickW »

Personally, I like the ram priming unit that I mount at the die station at the top of my single stage press. There's no "feel" to it. Just drop the primer into the cup, slide the case into the shell holder, bring the ram up and I get uniform seating each and every time. Set up is easy(just put the shell holder at the same angle every time and it can only be off by one complete turn)and it's not hard on the arthritus in my hands like a hand press would be.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Depends. I prefer to hand prime, but with the 8mm Lebel, for example, I have to prime on the press. No auto prime shell holder for that caliber. :|
kjohn

Post by kjohn »

My first reloading setup was a Lee Loader for 30-30. Needless to say, I managed to set the odd primer off at the kitchen table! My wife loved that! :mrgreen:

When I quit drinking, I splurged for a Lyman Spar-T, with a primer attachment. I used it for many years. The other day, I was using the old primer setup on a new Lyman turret press. It worked, but the return spring doohinkey wasn't made for the new press. I was in Saskatoon at Wholesale Sports and bought a Lee Deluxe hand primer. I was sure I had the right shell holders for it, as I had an older version of the hand primer... somewhere. Blast! I got home, all primed up to use my new toy, I couldn't lay my hands on the shell holders. Jeez! Back to the old Lyman. I have moved 4 times since 1998, so some of my reloading stuff is.... somewhere.

Soon, I will have a whole new array of reloading tools. After I have bought what I need, I can start finding the stuff that was.... somewhere. :redfaced:
GOOD RIDDANCE LGR!! If there isn't a gun range in heaven, then I'm going to hell.
Germans who wish to use firearms should join the SS or the SA - ordinary citizens don't need guns, as their having guns doesn't serve the State. Heinrich Himmler
nstoolman1

Post by nstoolman1 »

millman wrote:I use the priming arm on my RCBS single stage press. It works just fine. I didn't see the need to buy yet another accessory.
This works for me also. I just make sure it stays clean.
res45

Post by res45 »

When I started reloading around 30+ years ago I primed on the press as that is all I had at the time and it was slow but it did the job as I wasn't loading that many rds. at one setting. A few year later I bought one of the Lee Auto Primers,the round version and never looked back although I still have the press setup for my old Lyman Orange Crusher press if needed.

I still use the old Lee Auto Prime to this day,several year ago I bought another of the Lee Auto Primers same old round style so now I have one set up for SR-SP and the other for LR-LP. Once a year I take them apart,clean and put a little bit of lube on all the bearing surfaces and so far I've never broken or had to replace a part.

I can primer a lot of brass in a short period of time with the Lee's. I've used the RCBS primer as well a friend has and I like it as well. I don't have any pros or cons on the Lee press priming system as I don't own a Lee press.