Bought a ROUGH!! M44--I Don't Know Why?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Bought a ROUGH!! M44--I Don't Know Why?

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Hey guys I won a gunbroker auction today for a basket case 1945 M44 of gunbroker,I am sure several of you saw it for $85.00.

It is my 1st m44.

Correct me if i am wrong but aren't the non refurb m44's out of the Balkins?

It really looks rough and has some problems--but I really like the non-refurb look it is so rough it is closer to a T-53 than a m44 :) and I got it for the same price as a T-53 and it is shipped straight to my door.

Here is a link to the auction on Gunbroker. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =410623449

I got it for $101.00 that was my max bid I placed and I bid on it 3 days ago and did not check back.I was sure since it was a m44 that 101.00 would not be enough.

Now my question is to you guys is what would you do with this m44 if you have just won it?

Can ya'll experts see anything in the crappy gunbroker pics that I don't see?

I will post some good pics when I get the rifle
neal45

Re: Bought a ROUGH!! M44--I Don't Know Why?

Post by neal45 »

Looks a lot cooler than my 1945 M44 refurb.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, Balkan style M44, what's wrong with it? It looks like a perfectly normal 70 year old milsurp to me, nice find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

Very nice Riffle :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

Looks badass, is that a matching bolt?
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

$100? You did well! :thumbsup:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Looks fine and you stole it for that price. I can't see the bolt very well but it looks like the numbers match except of the Cyrillic characters that are on the barrel number.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Saw out almost bid, but I have been on a m44 buying bing recently, and needed another like a whole in the head.. Great score !!
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

Haven't seen an M44 that cheap in some time. :thumbsup:
outdooraddict

Post by outdooraddict »

Hey, the ugly one ones need lovin' too ;)
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Nothing wrong with that... Especially at that price. :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Ugly? No, this is what a normal milsurp looks like after years, decades of service. In the normal course of things rifles are passed down from one level of troops to another before ending up as reserve weapons for militia use. Most normal governments do not waste billions of dollars refurbishing obsolete weapons and storing them away as the Soviets did with their Mosins. Anybody curious about why there is no USSR today? This sort of thing would be one reason. Romania got some of these refurbished Soviet weapons, either directly from the USSR as post war aid, or from one of the other buffer states later on. The Romanian communist party under Nicolae Ceaușescu, and his predecessors Chivu Stoica, and other communist idiots managed to run the countries economy into the ground. They had no money to steadily produce their own M44's so they received aid in the form of used rifles from other buffer states. These rifles seem to have received little more than parts swapping with new serial numbers stamped next to the old to keep them working. Stock's were repaired, repeatedly, one I have contains at least eight repairs. They did not waste money on appearance, the rifle you get today looks exactly as it did when it was issued to the last Romanian communist soldier to carry it.

By and large this is how it's always been with milsurps until the Soviets went and spoiled everybody with their pretty refurbs. The Finn imports were not like this, neither were the Enfields, Turk Mauser's, or the US milsuprs back in the 90's. Back in the early days we never saw something like a refurbished milsurp unless Bubba did it, or it was one of the rare unissued models that sometimes came along. Check out the history of Romania under the communists, an interesting story, especially the end when they took Ceaușescu and his wife and.....well, I won't ruin the ending for you :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Head Wound

Post by Head Wound »

I wouldn't have passed that up!

I'd keep the stock the way it is, it shows it's heritage. :thumbsup:
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

Don't get me wrong,I really like the well used,battle hardned look better than a shiny slick refurb.

That is why I like the T-53's, Fin Captures etc,The look of this rifle is what attracted me to bid on it.

I guess I worded my title wrong.I put it like that because I personally have not seen any pictures of a m44 in this condition.I wanted to get a m44 for my collection from SOG or someone like that but they all seemed to nice and too slick for my liking.

Are there any members that have non-refurb m44's that they can put some pictures of?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

There are plenty of them on here. Probably a few in the showcase too. You did good on this one. A lot of people would already be thinking about refinishing the stock- a huge mistake. Congrats Tennessee!
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I like that been there look :thumbsup: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

It stands out above the common refurbs that everyone else has. JYD said it right in his above post. This is a true used military rifle from a poor country. Good price. Probably shoots as good as any other m44, too. :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

An honest no apologies needed war veteran. Nice score ! :thumbsup:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
cjsimoh

Post by cjsimoh »

Disassemble, inspect and clean, use a bit of lemon oil on the stock, shoot it and love it.... That is one cool M44 and you should be arrested for stealing it! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Vad321

Post by Vad321 »

As long as the bore, crown, and headspacing are good, there is no reason with a little TLC that this won't be a good shooter. Nice find. :)