Flaking Shellac, Buy One?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mebailj

Flaking Shellac, Buy One?

Post by mebailj »

A local dealer has seven 91/30 s in his racks. Price is $180.00 each. I have one picked out that seems to have a very good bore. But there is a problem. All of the rifles are refurbs, but the shellac finished is literally raised and is flaking off all of these rifles. I handled all of them and my hands were literally covered with brown shellac flakes. The rifle I have picked out is a 1943 Ishevsk and the CCCP cartouche is plainly visible on the stock of this rifle. Stocks on these rifles are more brownish in color than the red color normally seen, and one rifle stock is actually a very dark chocolate brown.It is almost as if these rifle stocks were not sanded, but just had the shellac applied. I am confident that most if not all of the shellac will come off the rifle I want in time and handling. Will this rifle be worth buying?
Ironnewt

Re: Flaking Shellac, Buy One?

Post by Ironnewt »

The shellac was applied as a protective finish for storage and is not particularly durable. I would not let the fact that the shellac is flaking hold me back from purchasing one. The price strikes me as a bit high but I have a C&R and can get them direct from a distributor. see if you can bargain a bit and enjoy.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

The local Gander Mountain carries 1943 Izhevks almost exclusively, and I am very familiar with the dark chocolate brown shellac you are referring to. You can't handle those rifles without getting tiny flakes of the stuff all over the place. The M91/30s literally stand with a ring of the stuff around each of them. I'm not sure what I would do if they had something really desirable (I'd probably buy it).

I also think $180 is high for a 1943 Izhevsk in the condition you are describing. Do you have any other options as far as retailers or gun shops go? I understand that if you don't have a C&R, that shipping and the transfer fee can raise the cost of a rifle substantially, but you don't have to accept what you are describing if you can go the extra dollars. The additional cost can be offset by a more reasonable price.

The other potential issue I foresee is that you are going to be tempted to refinish the stock. That's a line that does not get crossed here.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Agreed 180 is too high for a wartime refurb. Is he flexible on the price? 150 otd and I would walk out with one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
mebailj

Post by mebailj »

He'll probably come down. I know 43 is common, but it is really nice otherwise. I guess I don't care, I feel like I am preserving history. Could have been used at Kursk. Thanks for the input!
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

mebailj wrote:He'll probably come down. I know 43 is common, but it is really nice otherwise. I guess I don't care, I feel like I am preserving history. Could have been used at Kursk. Thanks for the input!
'Definitely not "saying you nay," here. You've got the right attitude. :thumbsup:

If a rifle "speaks to you," it usually pays to listen in terms of peace of mind.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Without a collectors license you are at the mercy of retailers.. However, if you deduct the shipping price and the FFL charges you are actually paying under $130.00 for a rifle you can holding your hands a choose.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Did you decide to buy it yet?
Luthierseye

Post by Luthierseye »

I had one like that and hit it with a stream of air from my air compressor to get most of the loose stuff off and then lemon oiled it-much improved.