Can't find any bullets!

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
catcracker

Can't find any bullets!

Post by catcracker »

I am just starting out with reloading. I though what better way to start than with a small 9x18 Makarov pistol round. I went out and got most to the equipment. Looked for bullets and.............nothing. I found lead bullets. But that is it. I'm pretty good at finding things on the web. But I cannot find any Makarov bullets anywhere.
1. I have heard people say lead is fine. And other say it's not.
2. Are there any bullets left?

Thank you.
Cat
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Can't find any bullets!

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nothing wrong with lead, it may be a added chore to clean it out of the barrel from time to time but it will not hurt the pistol. Use the hardest lead you can find, get a bullet mold and cast the bullets yourself.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Powder coat them, seems to be the hot ticket now for cast bullets. I saw some Mak bullets somewheres in my own reloading searches, I'll see if I can dig it up again.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Don't know if this is correct Doug but one site listed Makarov bullets at .363 but I found these http://www.brownells.com/reloading/bull ... 04808.aspx and they're listed as 9x18 but they're .355-.356 I'll look around some more and see what I can find.

Edit: I just noticed they're $18.99/100 but if you buy 500 it drops to $17.99/100.
Loditrapper

Post by Loditrapper »

These people say they have 95 grain .364 Speer bullets in stock, never dealt with them though. Only $16.43/100.
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Loditrapper wrote:These people say they have 95 grain .364 Speer bullets in stock, never dealt with them though. Only $16.43/100.
http://www.powdervalleyinc.com/
Yup I forgot all about them. I've never dealt with them but they're good to go. One of the other admin's on gun-deals that reloads uses them. The part number and other info. is SPR4375 .364 / 9MM MAKAROV 95 GR. TMJ (100) Yes $16.43
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Great everyone. Thanks. I will check them out.
Pip6214

Post by Pip6214 »

Powdervalley is good, bought several thousands primers and a few jugs of powder from them during the "panic." They were backed up a month on orders last year and the Items shipped in 3~ weeks so not bad given situation.