Armscor M1600 .22

Rim Fire Firearms
mogunner

Armscor M1600 .22

Post by mogunner »

I read through the past threads on this section and didn't see anywhere that this fun little plinker was discussed. Made in the Philippines by Armscor, who is more noted for their 1911 clones, my wife picked this one up for me from a guy she worked with at the time for the paltry sum of $120, he had bought it new and ran a box of shells through it, loved it but was cleaning out his gun collection to help fund a new motorcycle. Here it is as I got it.

Tried mounting a scope on the carrying handle but the handle wouldn't tighten down tight so it wouldn't hold zero.

Made a nifty little barrel shroud for it.

Finally took the carrying handle off it and used the dovetails to mount the scope. This is the current setup here.

And my 100 yard target...it's a better shooter than I am. 8.5x11 printer paper target, the circles are 1" The top line I was still fine tuning the scope. This little thing is an excellent shooter, I've run 1k rounds through it as of last weekend and the only hiccup I ever ran into was trying to shoot standard velocity Thunderbolts in it, now I stick with CCI Blazer for target and Stingers for small game hunting.

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Armscor M1600 .22

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Funny looking thing ain't it, has a Buck Rogers sort of look to it :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: . That same company made a pump shotgun, a flea market vendor has been trying to sell it to me for three years in a row, but his price will have to drop below $250 before I will think about it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

8-) 8-) 8-)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

They also make a .22 rifle that looks like an AK, you can do a slight mod to the M1600 and use the 15 round "hi-cap" mags for the AK on this one as well. It's just a simple little thing, but I was surprised at the accuracy of it and that it functioned as well as it did, I half expected to run into feed and/or extraction issues with it, but it turned into my "fun gun" right quick. My buddy has a 3"round swinging target out at his 100 yard "tree" that we can get to swinging pretty good with this.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

I hadn't seen one before. It looks like it would be a blast to shoot! At 100 yards, its shooting very well too :)

Mosins may be my passion...but .22s are my weak spot! I can't seem to pass one up if its $100 give or take.

Awesome photos...thanks for sharing this one!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
entropy

Post by entropy »

Neat little toy....wish I'd have found one before I bought the 10/22 and TAPCO stock for it for a "familiarization" rifle for Skipper.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

entropy wrote:Neat little toy....wish I'd have found one before I bought the 10/22 and TAPCO stock for it for a "familiarization" rifle for Skipper.
But it is a fun gun to shoot. 8-) 8-)
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

WOW, that looks like a super fun plinker
new2mosins

Post by new2mosins »

i had run across those online looking for a cheap plinker myself, something the wife and daughter could play with at the range i think new they were only 150 or so but wasnt sure about the reviews it got. nice to hear you havnt had any prob. with it i might have to take another look at them
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I take it out every time we go shooting, usually once or twice month and run at least 100 rounds or so through it. My shooting buddy will pass on everything else so he can sit down and get the 3" swinging target a'rockin' away at the 50 and 75 yard "tree'', he's like a kid at the shooting booth at the county fair. I shoot only CCI Blazer in it for target and Stingers for small game and haven't had ONE FTF or FTE with them. I did do a little bit of deburring on it here and there last time I did a thorough cleaning on it, the edge right around the bolt handle was a little too sharp for me.
Mikey_P

Post by Mikey_P »

Interesting plinker you have there, mogunner - like a lot of listers here, I, too, have a fondness for .22 lr rifles.

Looking at your 100 yd target - was that shot with the CCI Blazer?

If I look at the targets below your top sighter row, it looks like just a shade over 1" vertical dispersion and less than 1" horizontal. That's fantastic! I have several single shot .22 match rifles, and I'd be hard pressed to equal that accuracy with some of them, even with match grade ammo, much less Blazer. So, again, nice shooting and thanks for sharing the pics.

Mike
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Yes, that was with the Blazer ammo, I have a local sporting goods store that seems to have it "permanently" on sale for $12.99 a 500 round brick. Specs say it's the 40gr LRN with a muzzle velocity of up to 1235 fps. I use it first off because it's been super-reliable, over 1k rounds with NO duds at all which struck me as excellent, secondly, it's cheap bought like this (although I'm starting to have trouble carrying the .50 cal ammo can as it's full now, I've started Emergency Overflow Containment by buying more ammo cans!) and it seems to have a much better quality control than the other brands I tried. The report when fired seems to be the same all the time, I tried the American Eagle supposed high velocity and it was all over the place in both accuracy as well as the loudness of the report, those rounds are now earmarked for the wife to "dispose of" in her Heritage Rough Rider revolver, along with the Thunderbolts that I had, as well as the Federal stuff from Walmart.

I did quite a lot of rifle shooting over the years, much more than pistols, which have kinda been my interest of late, so it was also a matter of relearning a lot of the rifle basics that I had forgotten. At least that's the excuse I use for wanting to go shooting so much, lol!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I prefer the .22 blazer ammo. It is cheaper than all the other CCI stuff, and I have had zero problems with it. For accuracy, I like SK standard+, but for everyday shooting give me the Blazer.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I'm not sure where I'd have to go around here to pick some of that up, we're notoriously short on decent gun shops hereabouts, I may have to check a bit close up at Dunn's and the farm and home here to see what all they carry, I'm pretty sure I've never seen that at the local Walmart, lol! Otherwise it'd be a trip up into St. Louis for me and I generally avoid that place as much as possible other than running up to Harbor Freight.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

This is where I get the SK ammo. http://www.champchoice.com/cat-SK_Jagd-273.aspx

C. S. Lewis
dwayne2br

Post by dwayne2br »

What size of rings did you use to mount the scope? Looking at putting a red dot on the one I have for one of my kids to shoot.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

dwayne2br wrote:What size of rings did you use to mount the scope? Looking at putting a red dot on the one I have for one of my kids to shoot.
Those are just standard dovetail mounts for a 1" scope, I actually have a Tasco Red Dot on it now.
dwayne2br

Post by dwayne2br »

What are you using to hold the red dot on, the same rings or are they a different size? I have tried to mount a couple of different optics on mine but they seem to too large to fit.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Do you have the same rifle? Once you take off the carry handle, there are standard dovetail grooves on the top of the receiver. Weaver or Picatinny mounts won't work, has to be dovetail mount.