1952 Polish Radom M44 - Gun show find!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Lotema

1952 Polish Radom M44 - Gun show find!

Post by Lotema »

Wound up going down to the Puyallup WA gunshow today with my wife, my regular shooting friend and his wife. It was a decent show this weekend with a few rifles grabbing my interest including a really nice Remington 1903a3. I have a strong feeling one of these will be following me home soon. I found two rifles though that really spoke to me today. The first was a 1936 Izhevsk SCW. There were good thing about it and not as good things. It had the blade front sight, Spanish hangers, completely un-refurbed and a smallish carved "M" on the stock. The bad part was the rust. There was quite a bit freckling all over the rifle. The barrel shank looked like it was scrubbed, it was really hard to see the date and serial (in the 100k range). The bore was black and I couldn't see much of anything in it. Doesn't mean it wouldn't clean up but at $195 I had to walk and think about it.

When I walked up the next aisle, I found the one that had to come home with me. A nice gentleman was selling some of his personal collection, including a beautiful '42 Tula SVT and a '52 Polish M44. The Polish M44 has been on my short list for a while but the only one I've seen in person was $400 and looked like it was run over by a tank. This one was in excellent condition, not unfired but still in great shape for a shooter. The price was really appealing at $200. Only problem was that my quarterly gun fund money doesn't come around until April 1st and I only had $69 left in the current fund. My friend and I caught up with the wives, who had shuffled off to look at knives. My wife asked if there was anything that had caught my eye. I told her that there were two that had though there was one I would really like. I asked whether she'd let me get some of my funds a week early to get the Polish M44 since he wasn't likely to be selling at another gunshow. She, being the amazingly wonderful wife that she is, said yes! Woo hoo! I quickly walked to the ATM, grabbed some cash and went back to grab the rifle. I handed the guy the cash, got the rifle and brought it home. I cleaned it up and was going to put it into the safe but just couldn't. How could I let this new rifle sit in the safe on such a beautiful day like today? Well, I couldn't, so I grabbed 20 rounds and went to the range to see how it would shoot. Unfortunately everyone else in the greater Seattle area thought it would be a good idea as well and there were no rifle benches available and people were stacked deep waiting for one. I grabbed a 20 yard pistol bay and did my shooting, much to the chagrin of all the folks around me :lol:

The trigger on this one is absolutely amazing. As much as I love the trigger on my Finns, this one is absolutely better. By far the smoothest and lightest trigger pulls on any of my rifles. Nice, crisp and clean. At 20 yards, I'm not going to judge accuracy for this one, that'll have to wait until next week. Needless to say, there was a very nice hole right on the bullseye. I have very high expectations of this one next time I go out!

Enough of the story! Here are some photos for you to look at. Like I said, it's not a un-issued but it's reasonably clean and at the price, there's no way I could say no.

Quick outdoor shot after I got it cleaned up.

Barrel shank - 1952 (11). The blueing is pretty good overall. There's a few spots on it under the wood line where the blue is gone. I'd say it's probably 95% overall.

It's not 100% matching. The barrel, mag floor plate and butt plate all match but the bolt does not.. If you have my bolt, lets talk :D

Very pleased with the bore. Still have to work on these shots, they don't tend to show the "shininess" all that well. All the rifling looks really good.

Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Titanium Hammer

Re: 1952 Polish Radom M44 - Gun show find!

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Heck of a deal and a real nice looker too! Can't wait to see her at the ISC next weekend! :Drool1: 8-) :thumbsup:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This is a nice carbine. If we have given you the impression that this forum prefers brand new mint condition unissued safe queens then we have failed you miserably. Military surplus-milsurp. Battle rifles. Whatever you want to call them, we like them all. congrats on a bargain price for such a gem. :P
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

bunkysdad wrote:This is a nice carbine. If we have given you the impression that this forum prefers brand new mint condition unissued safe queens then we have failed you miserably. Military surplus-milsurp. Battle rifles. Whatever you want to call them, we like them all. congrats on a bargain price for such a gem. :P
Oh no, I don't have that feeling at all. I like the fresh minty ones, they're nice and all but I like the ones that have a bit of character to them. Those ones don't make me feel guilty when I shoot them! Ok, the guilt doesn't stick around very long!
Lotema
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

That is a great deal on a great rifle. That is one to be proud of for sure.
:bravo: :bravo:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I remember the first Mosin my brother bought. It also was a Polish M44 and that was before I knew the difference between a Pole and a hole in the ground. He still has it, but it shows a lot more use on it. He got it very cheap, and still has it tucked away.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice find. We like them all. No matter what country produced them they all come from the basic model first produced in 1895.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Wow that's a nice one and you got it at a fair price. You're going to love this rifle :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

You did good :attn: :attn: :attn: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :pointleft: :pointleft: :pointleft:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

Nice gun! I looks in way better condition than the stock of my 1952 polish that I got from a gun show all matching except bolt for 140. I checked my numbers and bolt and neither of ours match up...but that woulda been cool. I actually like that my polish kinda looks like a beater because then I'll shoot it more and not worry so much about not getting a ding in it. The bore is like new and it shoots like a dream. Good find for 200. totally worth it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

jelliejones wrote:!!!!wow what a nice carbine, hi sir can i ask if how much that kind of carbine!!! cause i really interested of that kind!
Welcome to the board :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
slcampbell

Post by slcampbell »

what a great find--I want one of those.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

jelliejones wrote:!!!!wow what a nice carbine, hi sir can i ask if how much that kind of carbine!!! cause i really interested of that kind!
I got this one at the gun show for $200. I think that was a decent deal, all things considered. Welcome to the forums by the way! Don't forget to say hi in the new member introduction thread. Get's us a chance to say hi and learn a bit about you!
Lotema
Luthierseye

Post by Luthierseye »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Nice find!!
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Remit50

Post by Remit50 »

Very nice one there, I would like to find a deal like that. I do like that M44. :)
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice! That looks just like mine, slightly used, numbers don't match but it is a sweet shooting and accurate gun, you are going to love it!
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :pointup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com