Russian Tula MU-12 Olympic Rifle

Rim Fire Firearms
MCR

Russian Tula MU-12 Olympic Rifle

Post by MCR »

Cold War Russian Tula MTs-12 or (MU-12) Olympic competition rifle. There is likely less then 20 of these rifles in the US. This rifle is #009 and is missing the peep sights, has been D&T with scope blocks added, and the bottom of the stock has been altered via a black piece of wood to change the shape which happens to look very similar to my Walther International Match or an Anschutz Supermatch. This rifle was already altered by a British shooter and was in really bad shape when I bought it. I went with a BSA fixed 36 power target scope mounted to the existing Unertl type blocks. The double-set trigger is currently set sub-oz. This is no small rifle... the barrel width is just over 1" thick at 30" long.

I think she cleaned up pretty good. Hopefully I can put some rounds on paper soon and see what she can do. :)

[/quote]
Last edited by MCR on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Russian Tula MU-12 Olympic Rifle

Post by millman »

Nice. You find some badass rimfires.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Mike

Post by Mike »

Nice!
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
MCR

Post by MCR »

Thanks...

Unlike The Taiga-2 and Strela which have 3 internal locking lugs.... these have 4.

Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

:thumbsup: :Drool1: Nice, I'll just hide the CM-2 while I drool over that one :lol: Russian rimfire jealousy is not a good thing :chuckles:

:pointright: Show the Walther and get the Lion out :Drool1: :lol:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
MCR

Post by MCR »

Welp... The UIT and Lion are my fathers rifles... unless you are talking about the KKM which I posted a while back.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... =8&t=13035
chuckbiscuits

Post by chuckbiscuits »

Hi,
New guy here. I just received my own MTs-12-2. Haven't shot it yet, but hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.

I'm not much of a centerfire guy, my interest is primarily in .22s, although I do have a Mosin that I won (along with 440 rounds of ammo) at a company Christmas party a few years ago!

I was chatting with a member over at Rimfire Central and he told me about the sister to this rifle: the MTs-13 in 7.62 mm. Do any of you have any additional info/pictures/sightings? I might get enthusiastic if I could find a piece of this quality for long-range duties.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any knowledge you don't mind sharing.
BigRussianBen

Post by BigRussianBen »

I own a Mts13......
thumbnail (1).jpg
thumbnail (2).jpg
thumbnail (3).jpg
thumbnail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
BigRussianBen

Post by BigRussianBen »

I hate to add that, My Mts13-1 may be the only one in the US. After years of searching and I mean years of searching, I have only met two people who had even seen or had one and I bought the only mts13 off of the only person I have ever met in the US. The other was in Canada and he had sold it long ago. A friend of mine who is is practically a historian on Russian target rifles and pistols, told me they made somewhere around 600 or less and they are practically impossible to find. If anyone knows another person who has a MTS13 please contact me!!!
BigRussianBen

Post by BigRussianBen »

also these rifles are banned from Import.
BigRussianBen

Post by BigRussianBen »

I will comment that this will be the first time anywhere on the internet that a pic of a Mts13 and MTS12 right next to each other. Also there are no pictures documenting the details of the MTS13-1, like the bolt and how beefy the receiver is....... until now!
DSCF1350.JPG
DSCF1343.JPG
DSCF1325.JPG
DSCF1319.JPG
DSCF1318.JPG
DSCF1315.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raffles

Post by Raffles »

Oddly enough I do have an MU-13 Serial No. just under 300 and in as close to new as can get these days considering when made. A firm in Canada brought a few of these into Canada in late 70's or early 80's and I bought from local gun store as too odd and lovely to leave on shelf. I was informed, likely erroneously, that these where made to use .308 bullets as higher quality than Russian .311 . Unlikely as that seemed I did load .308 boattails into Russian cartridges and did seem just fine. Have had in gun safe for 30 years as just too heavy for me and ungainly to cart about. Sure doesn't recoil given all that mass. Oh, yes I am in Ontario and too bad these aren't allowed into USA.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Nice.

C. S. Lewis
Raffles

Post by Raffles »

I will post a photo of the top showing model/serial number as it is far different from above in that it is just MU 13-1 and underneath NEH 299 (Serial #), no Star nothing else just model and serial. Odd but I'm guessing it was production not meant for export. Also find it odd on these rifles that nowhere is the caliber marked? Rear aluminum 'hook' and butt is red/brown anodized aluminum but otherwise a match for one shown.
BigRussianBen

Post by BigRussianBen »

I will say you are not the first to contact me with one of the Мц13 in Canada. I do believe Canada can still import Russian stuff. The thing about my statement is that I haven’t been able to find anyone else in the United States that has one and they band them from import(as far as I know).
As for the serial number, I have good proof from Russian books and talking to Russian shooters (like some of my Moscow buddies on the Russian gun forums) that the Serial numbers doesn’t really indicate the quantity produced because the number was assigned as they came off the Цкиб Соо production line. As in your rifle could have came off the line after 300 different model rifles and was assigned the serial number that came next. Otherwise my rifle is number 25 as it only has two digits. Also I too have matching aluminum butt hook. Do you have a tool kit or any accessories? I would love to see pictures!
BigRussianBen

Post by BigRussianBen »

Also what model Identification does it have? Мц13-1? Мц13? Also yours is in the 3 letter and 3 digit range, mine is NA25, 2 letter, 2 digit, I would suspect that your rifle is later in the 60s
BigRussianBen

Post by BigRussianBen »

Also another oddity is..... is your stock any different? Or is it the same as mine? Because the later model the Мц13-2 will sometimes be marked as 13-1 even though it is in updated furniture! I have articles posted on other forums, that talks about how the prodution numbers of the Мц13 and Мц12 where combined in production numbers and totaled around 498. Some of these sources Are from published Russian sport shooting books I have bought over the years. They also state that the Мц12 took up 80% of production, so these Мц13 are in a word insanely rare. Maybe even fewer than 200, unless I am getting my info wrong.
BigRussianBen

Post by BigRussianBen »

Maybe the Мц13 total was 498 or something.