Be careful when posting pics...scary stuff!

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
websterz
Forum Advertiser
Forum Advertiser

Be careful when posting pics...scary stuff!

Post by websterz »

http://www.youtube.com/embed/xvZF-yP_ce ... detailpage

I had never heard of this before. It works just like it is shown in the video. Make sure to turn off geo-tagging in your phone's camera settings.
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the night. Set a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

http://www.okiegauges.com

Blessed be the Lord my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
-Psalm 144:1
qz2026

Re: Be careful when posting pics...scary stuff!

Post by qz2026 »

The video says that there is an app that can turn it on though... One reason I refuse to carry a cell phone in addition to it multiple security issues. Well, maybe one of the old flip phones but I guess they don't make those anymore.
JDH88

Post by JDH88 »

Interesting location in video. I was in Englewood, Florida just last week not far at all from where he took those photos. As for the issue, I have the Geo turned off on my phone so as not to have these issues. Supposedly.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Whats a cell fone? :vconfused:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

desdem12 wrote:Whats a cell fone? :vconfused:
I'm with ya. I refuse to get one. People ask me where my phone is, and I tell them it is hanging on my kitchen wall. (true)
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Never owned a cell phone in my life, and I am not going to start now.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

If I leave home without my cell phone I feel naked, I'll turn around and go back for it. I'm sixty years old and it's just something you get use to after 10/15 years.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I rarely leave home unless I have to, and there is always either a landline, or someone with a cell phone nearby.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

Just a FYI, you dont need special software to look at that info, Windows ( at least 7 and newer ) can do it no problem
JDH88

Post by JDH88 »

Just deselect your Location Services for your phone camera and this is a non-issue.

Interesting to hear some of you don't have a cell phone, I thought everyone did these days. Got along without them before, so why not now I suppose. Come in handy when I take quick snapshots of Mosin Nagants I see around...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

My phone sits right here on the table, it's been functioning just fine since 1962, it's perfectly good, no reason the change it.
Theodore Roosevelt
uberjon

Post by uberjon »

This doesn't seem like a revelation or an issue UNLESS you took a picture of a super secret hideout and posted it on Facebook. Just as easy as looking at the info on a picture they could also just look up your address. Am I right? If I post a pic of a gun I own or coin collection and a thief wanted to come and steal it, it wouldn't be any harder for them to find your address. I could be missing something though as I usually do.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

I still have an old rotary phone upstairs and downstairs. When the power goes out I always have several neighbors come over to call and use them to reassure their relatives that they're all right. I hate cell phones, but unfortunately I have one. It's the cheapest oldest peice of junk flip phone though. I have a kid with quite a few medical issues, so I have my phone for an emergency only phone. It's so cheap it's a Tracfone as I buy 1,000 minutes once a year, and normally always have minutes left over. Everyone knows that as soon as I'm home from work it gets turned off and tossed into the key and wallet drawer.

Now my wife on the other hand is an iPhone, iPad, and laptop computer junkie. If something would happen to her iPhone or iPad I swear she'd have a nervous breakdown. Yes, my wife says my flip phone is an embarassment, but I tell her I could care less. They have their iPhones and their iPads, and I have another Garand... :biggrin:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

redspoon wrote:If I leave home without my cell phone I feel naked, I'll turn around and go back for it. I'm sixty years old and it's just something you get use to after 10/15 years.
I'm the same age and feel the same as you.I f I go uptown and forget my phone at home I'll turn around to go get it.
I tell you cell phones can be a life saver.Last fall I was driving down an old logging road and I had a short in the fuse box of my truck.Long story short no sparkie to my plugs and there I sat.I used my cell phone to call AMA and they had a tow truck there within 2 hours,keep in mind that I was 40 miles from town and 11 miles from pavement plus I was able to call wifey to let her know that I was was going to be late and to not worry about me..Eleven miles might not sound all that far but that's a loooong hike for an old feller like me.
Also I love the satellite feature on google maps,heck I can even show you where I am (blue dot) compared to where I live.(purple pin).. :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

RazorBurn wrote:I still have an old rotary phone upstairs and downstairs. When the power goes out I always have several neighbors come over to call and use them to reassure their relatives that they're all right. I hate cell phones, but unfortunately I have one. It's the cheapest oldest peice of junk flip phone though. I have a kid with quite a few medical issues, so I have my phone for an emergency only phone. It's so cheap it's a Tracfone as I buy 1,000 minutes once a year, and normally always have minutes left over. Everyone knows that as soon as I'm home from work it gets turned off and tossed into the key and wallet drawer.

Now my wife on the other hand is an iPhone, iPad, and laptop computer junkie. If something would happen to her iPhone or iPad I swear she'd have a nervous breakdown. Yes, my wife says my flip phone is an embarassment, but I tell her I could care less. They have their iPhones and their iPads, and I have another Garand... :biggrin:
A friend of mine just gave up a flip style phone he had since the late 1990's, it survived his last ten years in the service, plus six years as a "fat lazy civilian" ( his term) It's going to kill him when I inform him that somebody is still using theirs and he wasn't the longest user in history to keep one. He couldn't get batteries for the phone and had to keep it attached to his car all the time for the last year or so.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I was late to the party getting a cell 10 years ago. Everyone else I knew had one. Then I was forever giving up my flip phone to go with the new Android smart phone. I am still behind because I am using a Samsung Galaxy II, and there are several newer models. These become your go to device for everything. It has as much power as a home computer almost. Scary kind of.
soylentblue

Post by soylentblue »

I miss my flip phone - the battery would last a week. I got rid of it when I got a smartphone from work and that thing needs to be charged at least every day up to 2-3 times in a single day if I actually use it.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

My parents have a tracfone prepaid wireless because they don't use the cell much. It's just a phone and nothing else.

Before that, I would give them my old work phones every couple years after they would give me a new one. They kept it and a charger in the car. You can use any old cell phone, plan or not, to call 911. All it has to do is turn on. So it was their emergency road phone before they did the prepaid thing.

If nothing else I'd recommend finding an old Nokia with a car charger and put it next to your flashlight in the car in case of emergency.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is a very smart idea. My wife was driving in torrential rain on a 4 lane highway at rush hour a few years ago. The Malibu just died. No power, no nothing. Alternator had died and she didn't know it. She was stopped in the center lane in rain so hard you could not see, expecting to get slammed into any second. She called 911 and the police were there in no time, and the officer pushed here to the shoulder. Till I could rescue her, he stayed with her. Glad she had the phone.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

My grand father had an old analog phone during Katrina. We suffered mostly downed trees and no power/phone lines. Only a few cell towers were left. His old grey, pull out antenna, analog phone was the only one that worked. After maybe a yet more the cell phone company told him they were canceling his phone unless he got a newer one. He was the last one in South Mississippi with analog service.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln