Norinco 1911a1

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
fintowin

Norinco 1911a1

Post by fintowin »

Picked up a really nice Norinco 1911 a1 last night. Box and manual and everything included. Has replacement grips, but originals are with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Norinco 1911a1

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: How is the quality on these compared to Colt, or Rock Island.?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Junk Yard Dog wrote::vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: How is the quality on these compared to Colt, or Rock Island.?
Quality is very good. I have heard that the Norinco was desirable for quality and accuracy. I never held one or saw one in person til I got this one. It is definitely better than a Rock Island. I have only owned one Colt, and it was an 80 series. It is comparable to that in quality, maybe a step down. I would not believe it if it wasn't right in front of me now. I really am impressed with it. But, when you consider all the other Chinese firearms like the sks or the cz 452 copies, I guess its not that surprising. I have never owned or seen a Norinco firearm I thought was junk.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Back in the day these were the base for many custom pistols. They are known for being good quality.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It has to look good. It is the classic 5" Govt model. A nice looking one at that. I like the replacement grips very much. A nice range report is in order. Norinco ain't playing around. Ask Millman about his Norinco K98 Mauser 22 trainer! Sweet
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I'll get the range report as soon as the weather around here gets better. Its finally above 15°, but I'll hold out for 30° or more. +15° feels pretty nice though, compared to the 10-15 below zero we were having.
-George Washington
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Great Find you lucky dog!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

I have yet to come across one... But If I ever do it will be mine.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

bunkysdad wrote:It has to look good. It is the classic 5" Govt model. A nice looking one at that. I like the replacement grips very much. A nice range report is in order. Norinco ain't playing around. Ask Millman about his Norinco K98 Mauser 22 trainer! Sweet
This is the second norinco .22 I have had. The first was a browning ATD clone. It was quality and worked very well. It got me a 1943 Sako M39 in a trade.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=446&hilit=+norinco
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Good looking pistol! I haven't ever got to handle one. I've heard good things about them. My recent rock island purchase is making me want more 1911's lol.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
Bingo

Post by Bingo »

One little piece of info I received was that the Norinco was/is made on tooling donated by the US to China and was never used till Norinco saw the golden opportunity to sell in the US. I tested one for an importer and found no fault with it. At the time I had a Gold Cup in the shop that just would not feed! From the factory it looked like some one had used a file for the feed ramp. The Norinco shot as good as the Colt should have right out of the box and to this day has needed no tune ups. The Colt has been back to the factory for a number of defects. The sight(rear) has come off so many times that the slide had to be replaced because the retainer pin would no longer stay in place. I did get the Colt to feed but felt that at the price Colt asked for it that it should have out performed the Norinco. It did not! My thoughts, Norinco makes a great 1911.
Bingo
entropy

Post by entropy »

Many a competition .45 was built on a Norinco 1911A1. Good pistol; shoulda picked one up in the 80's, but I was all about revolvers then. Good Luck with yours, fintowin! :vcool:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Very nice Norinco! That one looks like a safe queen! :thumbsup:

One of those is on my want list too! As stated several times above, they are known to be solid 1911's. My best friend has had one for pushing twenty years, and it's been as reliable as my Springfield and Colt's.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
desert drifter

Post by desert drifter »

I picked up a used Norinco 1911A1 years ago. It had no mods done to it. I'm really impressed with it to this day. From my experience shooting the 1911 in competition while serving in the USN the Norinco shoots as well if not better than issue '45s. In a recent session to the range doing some informal plinking with it. me and friend (ex VN marine) set up clay pigeons at 25 - 30 yards. Using a the side of a post to steady and two handed hold we broke clay birds all morning long and then we were searching out pieces of birds to shoot. My friend was so impressed he had to have one and spent a couple of months before he found one at a gun show for and paid over $500 for it.

I've also read the report that they were built on Colt machinery but using modern metallurgy. Some claim an improvement over the original issued 1911.

Hold on to that one. You'll regret letting it go. No way would I mine slip away.

'drif
entropy

Post by entropy »

desert drifter wrote:I picked up a used Norinco 1911A1 years ago. It had no mods done to it. I'm really impressed with it to this day. From my experience shooting the 1911 in competition while serving in the USN the Norinco shoots as well if not better than issue '45s. In a recent session to the range doing some informal plinking with it. me and friend (ex VN marine) set up clay pigeons at 25 - 30 yards. Using a the side of a post to steady and two handed hold we broke clay birds all morning long and then we were searching out pieces of birds to shoot. My friend was so impressed he had to have one and spent a couple of months before he found one at a gun show for and paid over $500 for it.

I've also read the report that they were built on Colt machinery but using modern metallurgy. Some claim an improvement over the original issued 1911.

Hold on to that one. You'll regret letting it go. No way would I mine slip away.

'drif
Oh, they're better than the issue 1911's were! (until MEUSOC started issuing Kimbers.) I had to use all of my skills to get the 7 1911's in my Arms Room to fire accurately. I tightened slides, went through god knows how many bushings before finding halfway tight ones, replacing barrels, etc. Ironically, the one 1911 (the other 6 were 1911A1's) in the group shot the best, but the XO claimed it, so I had to shoot the runner up. :roll:

BTW; I couldn't help but notice the Marines' new MEUSOC pistol, the M45A1, made by Colt, looks almost identical to my Taurus PT1911AR. :D
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

I've not seen Norinco models. My 1911A1 is a civilian market Colt Governement Model.

Purchased back in the early 70's. I've eyed collector versions of WWII manufactured 1911A1s, but the $2K price tag is pretty rich for my blood. Strange as it may seem, I'm a better shot with my .45 than I am with the Browning Hi-Power 9mm. I seem to have an affinity for old slab sides.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."