1896 M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jimpierce7

1896 M91

Post by jimpierce7 »

Wow what a day!! I am going to sleep so so good tonight. Mr. Fed Ex didn't show up until 7:45 tonight. Which I mostly don't mind as it means I am home to get the package.

She is beat up. Almost no bluing left anywhere but she is so beautiful. Seems I can't buy anything that the Finns haven't gotten their hands on yet. Not that that is a bad thing. One solid gun too. I wonder what the cut out/repair was for behind the trigger?
So, with out intent, 50% of my collection, meager as it is, is Finn. My safe is full. Well, at least as far as it is supposed to be able to hold. I think I can get two more in it.

http://s77.photobucket.com/user/jimpier ... M91?sort=3
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Re: 1896 M91

Post by Darryl »

The repair behind the trigger guard was to fill in, not a repair. It used to have the old style trigger guard that had finger rest on it. They stopped using them pretty early on. Means it is an old stock

Take a look at the first M91, and you will see the extended trigger housing. The second and on variants will not.
http://www.7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinM91R.htm

Dolk
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Beautiful! REALLY old stock. Like 1893 or earlier. Love it.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

jimpierce7 wrote: wonder what the cut out/repair was for behind the trigger?

Pic from 7.62x54r.net
0000.jpg
Oops sorry the Boss beat me to it.
Another nice one Jim, congrats again :vcool: :vcool:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Thanks for the info!! Way cool.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

Very cool! Nice find. :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This is what milsurps are supposed to look like after a lifetime or three of service, not every country did the insane make-work of the Soviet refurb program with their long obsolete weapon's. Nice :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That look by the way is called "patina" it comes from real use during real history.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Congrats !!! :thumbsup: Very nice pickup !! :attn:
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:This is what milsurps are supposed to look like after a lifetime or three of service, not every country did the insane make-work of the Soviet refurb program with their long obsolete weapon's. Nice :)
Yes, I agree. This is what I look for when I'm hunting for one for my collection.

Very nice rifle! (by the way) 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The look that took a century of aging to achieve. The look that bubba wants to remove in 1 hour because it isn't pretty enough. very nice rifle Jim! And those old original leather dog collars are a real plus.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice Jim :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :vcool: What a great piece for anyones collection. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

bunkysdad wrote:The look that took a century of aging to achieve. The look that bubba wants to remove in 1 hour because it isn't pretty enough. very nice rifle Jim! And those old original leather dog collars are a real plus.

Jim that is a really nice find :Drool1: How about some close ups of the barrel shank markings?

Wrecking that 100 year old patina, I believe it is an issue with perception sometimes, what we see as a beautiful old patina Bubba believes he needs to see a glossy shiny finish like on the stock of a Remington and is almost ashamed of that beautiful deep patina, its seen as a flaw that needs to be "fixed"
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I'll see what I can do about close ups. The light isn't real good in that room. I am getting my parrots a new over head light and I will install the old one in the gun... ooops, I mean store room. This week. Better pics!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Take the shade off a table lamp, put a 200 watt bulb in it ( if you can find one anymore) and use it like a hand held movie light to illuminate the closeup stuff.
Theodore Roosevelt
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Take the shade off a table lamp, put a 200 watt bulb in it ( if you can find one anymore) and use it like a hand held movie light to illuminate the closeup stuff.
Good luck finding a 200 watt bulb that isn't a baby spot.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

daveshady

Post by daveshady »

we still have some 200 and 300 at Ace where I work until the warehouses are out. its a silly law and very annoying anyway

AWESOME rifle I started on Russians has 15 of them now its 11 Fins and 1 Russian!!!!!

Out of room in the safe so I built a wall display to hold 8 Finns PROBLEM SOLVED!
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

You mean this area here?

qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice one Jim. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Gotta love that old stock. You're really on a roll lately. Let's see two more, maybe, in the safe. Then new safe time? :shock:
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I snuck both these in without Kelly noticing. Soooo.... heehe