Had to take a refund on my M1 Garand

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
matt167

Had to take a refund on my M1 Garand

Post by matt167 »

The FFL that I got to transfer my M1 Garand made a big stink about the M1 Garand not being SAFE act legal with the bayonet lug ( even tho I told him to check the SAFE website and that it is well versed that it is legal ). He actually had called the dealer I got the rifle from before I had a chance to tell him I didn't need his services.. Got a call today from the dealer and they told me they will not ship the rifle with the bayonet lug saying that they were banned with that in NY before the SAFE act ( BS meter 1/2 way ). I asked him how the CMP, a goverment created, goverment funded non profit could send rifles to NY free and clear, and then he stated that the CMP was selling older SA's which did not have the bayonet lugs ( BS meter pegged ). I told him that I could provide goverment documentation and even call the local police to confirm but they will not send the rifle with a Bayonet lug... I think that the ill informed FFL I called made a big enough stink to them and now they won't send the rifle..

The FFL called the other day and apologized as he did some checking and found I was right.. He said he had a few Garands before so I may see if I can get one from him as long as they are unmodified. as much as I don't want to deal with him, he may have what I want.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Had to take a refund on my M1 Garand

Post by bunkysdad »

Where did you find the seller? Was it a auction? Sounds like he don't know which way is up, and is too lazy to find it.
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Seller is on GunsAmerica which is where I found it.. They have an actual webstore tho and list the Garands for the same price there.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Name them so we can start a "Dealers to avoid List"

I can't stand clowns that act like they know the law when they obviously don't. I deal with drunken law students who attempt to tell me my job and I basically laugh in their face and then wait for them to do something I can lock them up for. Another pet peeve is Gun Shop Commandos who talk ballistics and some such trash about things they obviously know nothing about. I had a guy that worked in one tell me that S&W never made a pistol with an adjustable front sight. I told him to put up or shut up and called a buddy that owned one. I had him swing by, show the guy the gun (A S&W 586 variant). Ass hat insisted that it was a "Custom Special" I told him, that's nice and haven't been back since.
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

So the seller and the ship to FFL screwed you over right?
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

matt167

Post by matt167 »

Weapons Pro is the name of the dealer that I had the rifle on layaway from. The FFL dealer I went thru has 2 licensed FFL's and the older lady who I first talked to and took down the information handed the info to the other person who saw an issue with a semi auto with a bayonet lug ( Not a Semi auto with a detachable magazine and a bayonet lug which would be an issue ). I know he called the dealer I got the rifle on layaway from but I don't know what all he said to them.. All is I know now there is an issue. My money order came postmarked from NY and they have had that since before I got an FFL involved so I don't know what happened except WP definitely dreampt up quite a bit of BS... The FFL I was going to use for the transfer finally versed himself with the law and called and apologized... I don't really want to deal with him given the crap he put me thru but he did say he had some M1 Garands so I may be able to obtain local right from him
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tell him to remove the gas cylinder with it's offending bayonet lug, shove it up his ass, refund you $40 and you will take the rifle without it. Gas cylinders can be had.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I should, but I'd rather not hand idiots $1k.. I don't like to support stupidity

I'll revisit the local guy. As much as he did create an issue, he eventually versed himself with the law and apologized. If he has M1 Garands than I can see what I'm buying.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

matt167 wrote:I should, but I'd rather not hand idiots $1k.. I don't like to support stupidity

I'll revisit the local guy. As much as he did create an issue, he eventually versed himself with the law and apologized. If he has M1 Garands than I can see what I'm buying.
So he was selling them but wouldn't accept one. Sounds like he wants you to buy his. I smell crap.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
matt167

Post by matt167 »

BuckeyeSgt wrote:
matt167 wrote:I should, but I'd rather not hand idiots $1k.. I don't like to support stupidity

So he was selling them but wouldn't accept one. Sounds like he wants you to buy his. I smell crap.
No, he told me he had M1 Garands that he could no longer sell because they were not SAFE act ok ( so he thought ). Now that he has versed himself with the law and understands it, I'm thinking I can probably get one off him.. His shop is up in the hills and few people know about it. I know it's a side thing and he does not make much off it.
target

Post by target »

He manned up and apologized. Most guys I know would figure out they were wrong but try to own the lie anyway. While I might not go there for everything gun related after that, getting the Garand from him and doing a few deals down the road wouldn't bother me. These new gun laws that NY is suffering through has a lot of people spooked and on edge, and until they get used to it and get it figured out 100% you just need to be patient. Hopefully something happens and the (UN)SAFE act gets repealed before people have a chance to get used to it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have no intention of getting used to it, they can roll it up and shove it up their collective asses, something they will probably enjoy.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

I never understood the whole government fascination with bayonet capable rifles.Seriously, when was the last time you heard of a mass murderer going on a bayoneting spree? They are used in the formation and holding of a line, but in civilian lives???? I know, politicians are idiots, but seriously, some of them have to be veterans that know these things. Bayonets, flash hiders, suppressors oh my.
A J

Post by A J »

No, I never understood the bayonet thing either. I own a few bayonets and like them but in today's military they're rarely even seen. When I served in Iraq with the Army, I don't think I ever saw anybody with a bayonet. The most popular type of blades were large folders. Most of us carried M4s and M9s, so if your rifle breaks you've at least got a pistol.

As for the Garand fiasco.... Heck, just buy a nice Service Grade M1 from the CMP. They'll set you back $650 with shipping and will show up right at your door with no FFL to fuss with.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No, not these days, from the President on down few left side politicians are veterans, fewer still have any common sense, or brains at all.
Theodore Roosevelt
Boomer1

Post by Boomer1 »

Sorry to hear about your Garand fiasco. Life used to be so much simpler when we lived in the United States of America, that is sadly now being transformed into the United States of AmeriKa !

Moulon Labe.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Sirex wrote:I never understood the whole government fascination with bayonet capable rifles.Seriously, when was the last time you heard of a mass murderer going on a bayoneting spree? They are used in the formation and holding of a line, but in civilian lives???? I know, politicians are idiots, but seriously, some of them have to be veterans that know these things. Bayonets, flash hiders, suppressors oh my.
I always say (sarcastic) "Countless lives have been saved by banning bayonets and flash hiders". Collapsible stocks are a danger to the public as well.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

fintowin wrote:
Sirex wrote:I never understood the whole government fascination with bayonet capable rifles. Seriously, when was the last time you heard of a mass murderer going on a bayoneting spree? They are used in the formation and holding of a line, but in civilian lives???? I know, politicians are idiots, but seriously, some of them have to be veterans that know these things. Bayonets, flash hiders, suppressors oh my.
I always say (sarcastic) "Countless lives have been saved by banning bayonets and flash hiders". Collapsible stocks are a danger to the public as well.
I am sorry your being denied your heritage as well, you deserve your Garand. This bayonet lug ban in several states is simply underhanded harassment of the collector. This type of ban effectively eliminates an entire class of firearm from being imported into the state, greatly inconveniences historical collectors, while at the same time having zero effect on violent crime, or any crime for that matter. Unless I'm missing something I have yet to read about anyone being bayoneted or any wildlife being poached with a bayonet anyplace ever.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
paul6892
ban
ban

Post by paul6892 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Tell him to remove the gas cylinder with it's offending bayonet lug, shove it up his ass, refund you $40 and you will take the rifle without it. Gas cylinders can be had.

Right on Brother :!: :thumbsup:
1. M39 Finn, 7.62x54mm 1944 Sako
2. M38, 7.62x54mm 1943 Izhevsk
3. M44, 7.62x54 mm 1945 Izhevsk
4. SKS, Russian, 7.62x39mm 1951 Tula
5. SKS Chinese #26, 7.62x39mm
6. SKS Chinese #316, 7.62x39mm
7. M48, Yugoslav, Mauser 8x57mm
8. Air Rifle .22, Beeman RS2

Best Regards

Paul
USN Retired