What do you know about Chilean contract 1912 Mauser Carbine

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
OldRussian

What do you know about Chilean contract 1912 Mauser Carbine

Post by OldRussian »

Hi all, I don't know anything about these rifles and have an opportunity to buy a Chilean contract 1912 Mauser Carbine in .308.

Are they collectable? Sought after? Hard to find?

Thanks
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: What do you know about Chilean contract 1912 Mauser Carb

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

These were originally German made, or Belgian, I forget, and chambered for the 7mm Mauser. The carbine .308 is a conversion done in the 1960's. I never much liked .308 Mauser conversions, it probably shoots fine, but I would not get carried away paying for it.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
nick101

Post by nick101 »

Saw one at a gun show a while back. Was pretty beat up though. I ended up buying a Nagant M44 instead.
OldRussian

Post by OldRussian »

I guessed the 7x57mm models would be more collectible, but that ammo is damn hard to find! Would you pay $325?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I would not likely pay that for the .308 conversion but I am of the same ilk as JYD. I way much prefer the 7mm rifles to the converted south americans or Spanish.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I believe people pay less for the .308 conversions and the 7mm ones can be had for under $250. I'm assuming it's beat up and non matching like most of them I see.
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

Converters tend to be worth less. Some of the conversion were shoddy or done to small-ring Mausers and they are not always strong enough to take the pressure. They simply don't command a higher value.
finloq

Post by finloq »

Unless it's one of these Spanish conversions:

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

The Chilean M1912 I would think would have no issues with the conversion, it's a large ring Mauser. It's just not original caliber anymore. The early 7.62 1895 Chilean conversions I wouldn't trust with modern loads.

Mine is the Chilean M1912 long rifle, still in the original 7mm, they were made by Steyr in Austria. Carbines in both 7mm and 7.62 are a little more common than long rifles as I understand. Here is a page with info on these Mausers.http://randyrick.us/AustrianFirearms/rm1912.htm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.