New M96 Swede

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
john_the_plinker

New M96 Swede

Post by john_the_plinker »

Went to a small local show over the weekend. Heavy on sporting arms, literally 4 milsurps. and 2 of those were being walked around. Talking to a friend I know from the area, I heard about a really nice M96 on the far side of the show. Made a beeline over there and took a look. Guy wanted $350 for it, but he was willing to negotiate, dropped price to $325 before I even made an offer. We did a bit of bargaining and I walked away with it for a well (very) used Marlin 60, 2 bricks of .22, and $75 in cash. I'm very pleased with it, all serials match, bore is bright and shiny, bluing is very nice except for the muzzle end of the barrel, wood is very good also.
Braved the sub-zero wind chill to get a few pics, and here they are.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New M96 Swede

Post by millman »

Very nice. You did good on the trade.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
rustytruck

Post by rustytruck »

Very nice!
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

1915 Carl Gustaf Swedish Mauser, VERY COOL! I have a '23 and keep looking for my next one. These are very nice rifles. :thumbsup: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

That was a very excellent trade deal for your 1915. I like that "French Walnut" stock on it. It shows its color very nicely.
No one got carried away with too many coatings of BLO on yours. Many did and made the Walnut pretty dark.
These due to Quality and accuracy can be very addictive. I should know!
Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Oh, have you got a complete pic of that brass disk? The part of it I see does look to me as if it is the original disk put on it the last inspection before it was retired and sent to the States.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

OLD OUTLAW wrote:Oh, have you got a complete pic of that brass disk? The part of it I see does look to me as if it is the original disk put on it the last inspection before it was retired and sent to the States.
It is all there, perhaps it is too big for you to see all of it. Here is his pic, but smaller.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

That was it, just too large. Yep, willing to say its an original disk. Range plate has been added on over here though. I notice it is mounted upside down from what it should be and those tacks are not brass tacks. Looks too new for a 1915.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I missed the upside down plate. OO is correct. The Swedes mounted them so the shooter could glance down at them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

C. S. Lewis
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Very nice deal on a really great rifle. Mine's a 1913 and it's the flattest shooting rifle I've ever seen. You'll love the 6.5x55 cal, I made it rough on the deer this year with mine.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: , not a bad trade at all.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
8X56R

Post by 8X56R »

That is a very nice rifle. Well done. My M96 has a number 3 marked barrel and it's still a really accurate shooter. Congrats.
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Nice score! Looks great. :Drool1:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
john_the_plinker

Post by john_the_plinker »

Thanks guys, actually the pics make it look better than it really is. The wood has quite a bit of minor wear, dents and dings and such. You can see some in the disc pic, basically the whole stock is covered like that. I wasn't real sure on the stock plate when I saw it, this is the first one I've seen with it. I'm very happy with it, got it cleaned up and inspected. Now for some weather where frostbite isn't a distinct possibility so I can get in a range test.