Finally got the 1915 NEW home

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
oldmanshootin

Finally got the 1915 NEW home

Post by oldmanshootin »

Got her home and cleaned her for about three hours, DIRTY BORE. The bore is a little rough but kinda shiny, rifling weak and counter bored. Wood is beautiful and just could not bring myself to touch it with anything. There were little screws in front of both bands and the rear band will not tighten. Cleaning rod not blued and mag well strike through. NO marks or dates on tang. No marks on buttplate.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Not yet a collector, just a gatherer!
oldmanshootin

Re: Finally got the 1915 NEW home

Post by oldmanshootin »

More Pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

Awesome rifle :thumbsup: :thumbsup: . I can't answer your question about the knob but I've always wanted to know myself.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
Sgt lamb

Post by Sgt lamb »

just how finn rifles, should look with the been there done that! look civil guard # marked dirty nasty bores seems to me, to be not uncommon on N.E.W. s one of mine seems to grow crud,
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

The early cocking knobs are all made that way.
Kollaa kestää
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Very Sweet good find
As they say the pen is mightier than the sword...however that also means the pen is far more dangerous than the sword. The sword can take your life or your limb but can not take your freedom, the pen can. A wary patriot watches the pen as it can steal his freedom. The wary patriot knows he can use the pen to take power from those who wish to use the pen for evil, but keeps his rifle close by his side "just in case"!
oldmanshootin

Post by oldmanshootin »

$300. 95 in my hands....Too much ??????
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Do I see a Serbian crown below the serial number - to the right side of the barrel...?
$300 sounds like a fair deal to me.
gurn

Post by gurn »

Nice rifle with a lot of use. The stories it could tell.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
tiberium51

Post by tiberium51 »

on the stock it kinda looks like teeth marks from a vise

1942 - Izhevsk Red Letter /25\ 91/30 РВ4363 all matching including bayonet (my baby)
1940 - Izhevsk 91/30 (bubba got ahold of it, waiting to be rebuilt)
[] Front Sight
[x] Rear Sight
[] Stock
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Nice, man. Love that New. It definitely has been there. Is that a pinecone?
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

Did I already ask what letter is on the top of the receiver tang next to the rear action screw? The letter H, M, or E will designate which of the three assembly plants built it. I'm collecting data to try to identify serial number blocks for each plant. This one probably falls into the E for East Springfield Mass production. Thanks and shoot that bore clean. Clean, shoot, clean. Gets better fast.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Homer2 wrote:Did I already ask what letter is on the top of the receiver tang next to the rear action screw? The letter H, M, or E will designate which of the three assembly plants built it. I'm collecting data to try to identify serial number blocks for each plant. This one probably falls into the E for East Springfield Mass production. Thanks and shoot that bore clean. Clean, shoot, clean. Gets better fast.

Here is my NEW you can add. Where is the H plant?

Kollaa kestää
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
:thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: Very nice Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Homer2

Post by Homer2 »

Lee-online wrote:
Homer2 wrote:Did I already ask what letter is on the top of the receiver tang next to the rear action screw? The letter H, M, or E will designate which of the three assembly plants built it. I'm collecting data to try to identify serial number blocks for each plant. This one probably falls into the E for East Springfield Mass production. Thanks and shoot that bore clean. Clean, shoot, clean. Gets better fast.

Here is my NEW you can add. Where is the H plant?

H is for the Chicopee Falls, Mass Hill Plant. There was also a Chicopee Falls River Plant a short distance away that only made parts (R Mark). Before Westinghouse bought it, is was the home to Stevens firearms. Following the Westinghouse contract, and a fire destroying all records, Savage acquired the plant and ended up making Enfields and other items during the second world war.

oldmanshootin

Post by oldmanshootin »

Best I can do about mark on tang, cannot really make out any tang marks!!!
oldmanshootin

Post by oldmanshootin »

best photo of the ?serbian mark