4 "New" Molots in Maine now.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Tnic

4 "New" Molots in Maine now.

Post by Tnic »

They arrived at the FFL on Monday, but my brother couldn't get to him before Fri due to work schedule.

I called him just as he was about to begin opening the boxes so we went over them together, more or less.
1 1942
2 1943s
1 1944

-All round receivers and in good shape.
-All straight bolts.
-A few minor dings on the furniture, but all the metal parts are in good shape.
-Bores are clean and with solid grooves, actions all pretty smooth and not much cosmo so will be easy to clean. -As soon as they're clean he has the No Go gauge to check head space and its off to bang land.
-It was hard to tell from his descriptions but, I think he said one of the receivers was kinda elongated or something, but the bolt locked home alright. More to come on that, hopefully the pics will give us a clue.

-There is also one or two with what sounds like high wall receivers.
-All numbers match except the bayonets.

I have a :spam2: can of food inbound from PSA so my bro can start feeding them soon. :thumbsup:
Can't wait to get back stateside to play with the new kiddies, myself.

Pics will follow as soon as he can get a break from work to take em and post em up to me.
Если не мы, то кто?

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

― George Orwell
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 4 "New" Molots in Maine now.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1942-44 will all be high wall receivers unless an older receiver was used in the build. elongated is highly unlikely or the bolt would fall short, and every other piece of hardware that makes up the action would have to be custom made for it. Nice haul :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Tnic

Post by Tnic »

Thanks Dog.

I meant to say, it sounded like my brother was describing what appeared to be receiver walls that had been ground low (or some such). :lol:

These are our first Mosinkas so we're total noobs with em. Hopefully he'll have time tomorrow to get on the cam and we'll see what's what then.
Если не мы, то кто?

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

― George Orwell
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The '42's and 43's will likely exhibit a wide range of final finish quality as is common with wartime produced rifles from the early years when the Germans were taking the country in hundred mile gulps daily.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt