Think the CMP will ever get stock in stores again??

Everything Semi and Automatic is discussed here. Can be Military or civilian.
AK's, AR's, FN, VZ, FAL, and so on. (Post WWII)

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
m1guy

Think the CMP will ever get stock in stores again??

Post by m1guy »

I find myself wanting to go look around, but the recent rush has had them pretty bare in the stores. I wonder if they will ever get many back in stock, or if orders will basically use up what they have left.

Also, does anybody have any guesses as to whether or not they will ever get more returns from another country? I know most of the current ones came from Greece. I recently learned that we provided M1s to many more countries than I had previously thought. I have no clue how many of these were actually sold and, like the Korean ones discussed lately, would not come through the CMP even if they weren't blocked from importation. I wonder if there are more to be had in other countries that the CMP could get and if that is likely to happen.
soylentblue

Re: Think the CMP will ever get stock in stores again??

Post by soylentblue »

From what I have read on the CMP board, they have maybe three years of stock left and do not anticipate any more. The stores will remain bare because as they unpack rifles, they go to fill orders.
They are transitioning to maintenance & refurbishment to keep revenue flowing. After all, the mission of the CMP is to promote marksmanship, not to sell rifles.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nope. I don't see more coming.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
matt167

Post by matt167 »

Nope, they will soon be gone.. Obama and his chronies banned the reimportation of US Millitary spec rifles which the M1 Garand falls under since most were lend, leased to other countries.. CMP was looking to import about 84,000 rifles from Korea right before they were banned.. 2016 could change that law if the right party gets elected but Korea won't sit on the rifles forever... Any M1 Garand in the country is free and legal.
target

Post by target »

With the US market effectively terminated they may end up destroying the stocks of Garands, Carbines, etc. as the UN has a pretty large interest in destroying military arms as of late and actually pay countries to do so. Wouldn't surprise me if Korea ended up going this route instead of waiting on our pompous puppets to allow importation again.
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

As far as the Korean ones, I'd write those off, too. They wouldn't have come through the CMP anyway.

But I didn't know whether or not there could be other countries that might, at some point, be returning ones that the CMP would get.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

I have put it off for over a year now but I mat make the trip soon. from what I have read they do put out a few field grades . even if they do not have much I still want to check out the south store. there is all ways ammo and small parts . I might even but a fg if I found one I liked/
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

As Don Meredith used to say years ago when broadcasting NFL games. "Turn out the lights, the party's over."
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
A J

Post by A J »

I've heard the CMP has 2-3 years of Garands remaining. If you want one, I'd just order it and wait the 6-months it takes to get to your door. With demand for M1s growing and supply limited, I wouldn't anticipate ever seeing a decent selection in the stores.
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

matt167 wrote:Nope, they will soon be gone.. Obama and his chronies banned the reimportation of US Millitary spec rifles which the M1 Garand falls under since most were lend, leased to other countries.. CMP was looking to import about 84,000 rifles from Korea right before they were banned.. 2016 could change that law if the right party gets elected but Korea won't sit on the rifles forever... Any M1 Garand in the country is free and legal.
This doesn't apply to the CMP. The rifles the CMP receives are property of the US Army. The question is, how many loaned out Garands are still out there?
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

That is what I wondered. Until a few months ago, when I started reading on this board, I never knew of the vast number of countries that received them. But apparently it was a long list. I don't know how many are still out there, but I bet it is probably slim to none by now.

I'd like to see somebody put together a pie chart showing disposition of all M1s. If we know that 6 million or so were made, it would be interesting to see how big of a chunk were lost or destroyed through 2 wars, still in other countries on loan, sold to other countries, crushed, in civilian hands in the States, etc.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

All you had to do was approach the US state department and say "I love America, I hate commies" and you got military aid by the boatload.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
dou44

Post by dou44 »

they have the h&r listed again, I may have to sneak and put in a order before the boss finds out. :D
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I still have to finish paying for my HRA but I got mine from Weapons Pro thru Guns America.. The FFL that I wanted to use is soaking up the sun in Florida and so his shop is closed for a while. Tried obtaining FFL from a more local FFL that my grandparents know from church and they are a bit off on the SAFE act and won't transfer a gun with a bayonet lug. Even after I explained to the guy the internal mag makes it legal, he said a bayo lug was still a nono. Then I told him not to do anything and because he had arleady gotten my info for the gun and their phone number, I have no idea what he is doing cause he said he was still going to call them.. Lol I really need a C&R.. I should have just used the FFL that I have used before as they are easy and know what's up but the shop is like a local hangout and my M44 was a popular gun amongst them tho nobody was touching it when I got there
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

Hey, I love America and hate commies. (Well, maybe not all the actual commie people, but the ideals of their government. You get the idea.)

OK, now give me all my free M1s. :biggrin:
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

You're right. I just noticed that, too. They're taking orders for HRAs now, not Springfields. They must have just changed. It seems like I just looked a few days ago.

Now it has me thinking. I don't have an H&R. I'm not as much into the post-war M1s. But everybody should have an H&R, right? We all need an example of the Cadillac of the Cadillacs. And if you don't spend money wisely on something like a new gun, you might be tempted to waste it on stupid stuff, like food.

Nah... I better resist though.
dou44

Post by dou44 »

I have my order ready for the post office.it will be gone before the wife knows about it. :chuckles:
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

Make sure to have them ship it to hold for pickup at a FedEx location, too. Its not nearly as obvious if you go pick it up and sneak it in yourself. :twisted:

Otherwise the truck will pull up while you're at work and the Boss will have to sign for the big rifle-shaped box. Hard to talk your way out of that one.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

m1guy wrote:Hey, I love America and hate commies. (Well, maybe not all the actual commie people, but the ideals of their government. You get the idea.)

OK, now give me all my free M1s. :biggrin:
Sorry, no can do. You'll only use it to shoot poor defensless sharks, and then drop it into the ocean.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
dou44

Post by dou44 »

rifle will be here 3-13 2014 . I had all ready told the wife we would go to the south store to look at some field grade rifles and to have a nice road trip. turns out she will be here tomorrow to sign for my other rifle. I had to do some fast talking. :chuckles: