I don't even remember bidding ?!?!?!?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gsragtop

I don't even remember bidding ?!?!?!?

Post by Gsragtop »

So apparently when I could not sleep the other night I went onto GB and placed a bid on something.. I have zero recollection of this and must have been "sleep" bidding.. I know I put a bunch of stuff on my watch list, but bidding??

So any way, looks like I won this for its starting bid.. It being non-referbished is kind of cool, but how do you think I could fix that stock?? I wonder what "horrible" bore means. I purchased another rifle from this guy and he also said horrible bore, but it was not that bad, dirty, but still had very clear lands and groves. All well guess you can't go wrong with a $110 rifle..

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =388119858
racerguy00

Re: I don't even remember bidding ?!?!?!?

Post by racerguy00 »

Sleep bidding?? Mind if I borrow that for an excuse sometime?
Stock might be able to be glued and clamped. Good price. Theres one here that's been on the rack forn $240 and the guy won't budge. I like yours better.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

You could epoxy the stock back together with Devcon 30 minute 2-ton epoxy (sold at NAPA auto parts stores). Based on the split, under the butt plate you could hide one brass screw from the top and another from the middle angled up. Then one on each side through the rear escutcheons angled up. When you were done it should be solid and the screws hidden. I did something similar on a broken shotgun stock.

Otherwise a cheap replacement stock shouldn't be hard to find since you can reuse the hardware and hand guard.

ETA: my post probably doesn't belong in this section
Chiroptile

Post by Chiroptile »

Can't think of a better way for an old Mosin to live out its days than in the loving care of a member of this forum..
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

These are the rifles that catch my eye faster than any other. The stock can be fixed easily and you will have a real jewel in the collection. Well done.
I can just see me tell my wife we can't pay the rent because I was sleep bidding when I won a M1 Garand.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Romanian military rifle, I have it's twin, but without the cracked stock, glue should fix that. Doing things and then having no memory of them, not good, that's called having a blackout, lay off the sauce and see a Doctor :lol: Next time you could bid on and win something costing a few grand or more, 1907 carbine, used car, $3000 worth of women's lingerie.... and wouldn't that be hard to explain!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Very nice :vcool: I like the non-refurbed look. Didn't see any of the common refurb marks on the shank or buttstock :thumbsup: As mentioned above some glue and clamps should get it back together fairly well. Not sure if I'd be puttin a hundred rounds thru it every other week, but a nice addition to the mosin collection.

I've got a rifle coming in the mail that I won from the same seller, it also is supposed to be a non-refurbed and non-import marked. Wonder where he's getting his rifles :?:
Last edited by redspoon on Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

InOmaha wrote:You could epoxy the stock back together with Devcon 30 minute 2-ton epoxy (sold at NAPA auto parts stores). Based on the split, under the butt plate you could hide one brass screw from the top and another from the middle angled up. Then one on each side through the rear escutcheons angled up. When you were done it should be solid and the screws hidden. I did something similar on a broken shotgun stock.

Otherwise a cheap replacement stock shouldn't be hard to find since you can reuse the hardware and hand guard.

ETA: my post probably doesn't belong in this section
Simply get a quality glue inside, clamp down with some soft jaw wood clamps. The screws seem a bit extreme through the rear escutcheons... In light of the location of the crack I think it would provide minimal help.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

racerguy00 wrote:Sleep bidding?? Mind if I borrow that for an excuse sometime?
I don't know Dave? I don't think that excuse would fly in your household, or mine either. :D

GS, it looks like your subconscious mind can spot a good deal too.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

redspoon wrote:Very nice :vcool: I like the non-refurbed look. Didn't see any of the common refurb marks on the shank or buttstock :thumbsup: As mentioned above some glue and clamps should get it back together fairly well. Not sure if I'd be puttin a hundred rounds thru it every other week, but a nice addition to the mosin collection.

I've got a rifle coming in the mail that I won from the same seller, it also is supposed to be a non-refurbed and non-import marked. Wonder where he's getting his rifles :?:
15 years ago you could buy these rifles for under fifty bucks each, they were not appreciated at the time as nobody understood yet that an issued looking Soviet 91/30 was a rare thing outside of Finland and Spain. Then along came the massive tide of refurbs. The seller probably bought a pile of them like I did, and is now selling them off.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Would you have bid on it if you were awake? Your lucky you didn't end up with a $300 Hi Point or something. Now you can brag and say things like "I buy more guns in my sleep than you buy all day!" :D
Cool rifle for sure. :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

racerguy00 wrote:Sleep bidding?? Mind if I borrow that for an excuse sometime?
Stock might be able to be glued and clamped. Good price. Theres one here that's been on the rack forn $240 and the guy won't budge. I like yours better.
As Ricky Bobby would say... "Sleep Bidding" That there is trademarked, not to be used without written permission of GSragtop, Inc.

Thanks for the kind words guys, I may sleep better tonight.. And who knows maybe I win a 44 Tula m44 tonight :shifty:
JER

Post by JER »

PM sent
emcon5

Post by emcon5 »

Non refurbished? Isn't that a post war stock?
A1RADIOMAN

Post by A1RADIOMAN »

One of the worst cases of Mosinitis I ever seen.
“Only the dead have seen the end of war.” Plato
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

emcon5 wrote:Non refurbished? Isn't that a post war stock?
It is, these rifles were used by the Red Army during WW2, they were sent to the same refurbishing facility as all your red shellac refurbs, they were then sent as aid to various buffer states to arm their pro commie armys. decades of use by the buffer states, including their last stop, Romania, left them looking as they had the day the red army soldier turned it in after the fall of Germany. Most of these will have refurb stamps, and the typical mix of parts found in any refurb.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

sounds like Ambien to me....... lol My wife gets up after she has gone to bed, makes a meal and eats it, and never remembers it. lol
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Sleep bidding, okay that's new to me but I'll buy, sounds reasonable for some reason :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933