Is this a correct MO stock?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mebailj

Is this a correct MO stock?

Post by mebailj »

Bought this consignment at a good price from a local dealer. I have seen stocks on the refurbished MO rifles in the red stained shellac finish. I read where the MO rifles were given a complete refurbish, and I was hopping that the finish and color of this refurb stock is correct or if the previous owner has refinished the stock since buying. The metal is really nice in places and has some places covered by black paint.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Is this a correct MO stock?

Post by millman »

There is no "correct" MO stock. All that I have ever seen were standard refurbs with a MO stamp. Sometimes the metal seems to have seen a bit of extra attention, but the wood was just whatever happened to be at hand. Post some more pics. In those pics the stock kinda looks stripped. I hope that is not the case.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

millman wrote:There is no "correct" MO stock. All that I have ever seen were standard refurbs with a MO stamp. Sometimes the metal seems to have seen a bit of extra attention, but the wood was just whatever happened to be at hand. Post some more pics. In those pics the stock kinda looks stripped. I hope that is not the case.

+1 Sadly the stock has been refinished. :b sad:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Stock does look refinished.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
target

Post by target »

Need better pictures to be sure. If it's lacking shellac then odds are yeah it's been gone over.

I've got an MO 1942/46 and it looks to have been gone over with a fine toothed comb. The wood to metal fit is really good and the finish on the metal and stock is very well done. Still haven't shot it yet, but I suspect it will be a good shooter. The stock on my MO is a very light orange.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

People often refinish these rifles because they see some type of imperfection, and no 75 year old battle rifle should have any imperfections right? And with their vast knowledge and woodworking skills they can't wait to fix it. There is no question that what these guys are doing to these look nice to the new guy buying his first rifle or two, but as you begin to understand the history behind these milsurps you also realize that they are no longer correct. You can take this rifle to the range and enjoy shooting it and have a great time, and if you get bitten by the collecting bug use it as a learning tool. That is what I did, after destroying the original finish on my Egyptian Hakim, a rifle collected from the battlefield by the Israelis
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Looks nice but alas also refinished to my over the web eye. Many people buy $100 rifles and get just that a $100 rifle. A very lucky few get more than that in value so keep that in mind when you look around for the next buy. Bill :cry:
mebailj

Post by mebailj »

Does anyone know of a good source for stocks? Since MOs came with whatever stocks were available, I think I will just put a refurbed stock on it.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

I have a decent condition stock set that would be appropriate and correct for a refurbed updated Izhevsk dragoon or early 91/30. It has the early 2 screw sling slot escutcheons, milled steel band retainers with early Izhevsk bow and arrow markings, and a slightly visible Izhevsk rondel cartouche - I can't tell if it is the early 1920's "PCOCP" (RSFSR) or the later "CCCP" (SSSR) marking that was used in the 1920's though mid 1940's. Stock is in good, issued and used condition - there is some wear and flaking to the shellac, especially on the forend and handguard, but it has not been refinished or dicked with. The handguard is the WW2 91/30 type with the steel endcaps. This is one I had originally set aside in case I came across an updated dragoon or an early 91/30 with a Bubba'ed or damaged stock, or even for use with a Spanish Civil War or Finn captured rifle that needed a stock until I could find a more correct one.

I want $45 + shipping on the stock and handguard. I don't have any photos of it right now.

You could then recoup a significant part of this by selling your stripped stock and handguard set for $25-$30 to one of those guys who feel that refinishing is somehow "restoring", so they could sand that one down and slather it in shiny pimp snot, then when they realize what a bad and stupid idea that is, they would still have their original, undamaged stock to put back on the gun.