7.62x39 alternate formats

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Bkloes

7.62x39 alternate formats

Post by Bkloes »

Hey Guys,
I enjoy my SKS....it is my understanding that scopes are not really a good modification. I have considered getting a peep sight, I have heard they are a great addition. I was reading the Centerfire Systems flyer and I noticed they have a bolt action all set up for a scope in the 7.62x39 caliber. Anyone have any experience with these??

I have read a little bit.....and it sounds like the caliber starts to drop pretty fast after 150 yards. I don't have any experience with scopes, in fact shot my first one last weekend. Seems like maybe this caliber with a scope would be a novelty, not really very useful due to how quickly it starts to drop, what do you all think?

Final question....recently bought some 7.62x39 with a 154g bullets. Anyone have any experience with this round? Also wouldn't the heavier bullet even drop quicker?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 7.62x39 alternate formats

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It was designed for short range, used within it's comfort zone of 50-300 yards it's a good rifle. I would just stick with the issue sight, they are well designed, and easy to use, this just isn't a rifle that benefits in any great way from scopes, or aftermarket sights.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

A rough ballistic comparison is the .30-30 Win, while they are pretty close, they are not equal, the x39 is a little slower. The x39 round is not known as a hair splitting accuracy round. It was designed for somewhat intermediate range use and be minute of man.
As for better sights on an SKS, Tech-Sights work well, my father has the setup on his, much like shooting an M1 Carbine or Garand. http://www.tech-sights.com/ It's not a permanent alteration and holds accuracy well even after being tore down and put together.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I put these Tech-Sights on my Ruger Mini 14. Much better than the original sights.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I would stick with the SKS or AK as a platform for the 7.62x39.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

That bolt action may only tighten up your groups a bit if you use higher grade commercial ammo.
Now, the 154 gr ammo. Yes, it definitely drops quicker than a lighter bullet. But in most of my various SKS they seem to get better groups. I have two SKS sighted in for this ammo. Both at 100 yards. I can shoot 200 yards with it, but after that it is a real stretch. Besides, with standard sights I really don't try to shoot over 100 yards very often with any X39 rounds..
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Bkloes

Post by Bkloes »

Thanks all,

Your comments confirm what I was thinking.....the bolt action appealed to me because I am one of those goofy left handed individuals....They offer a left handed set up. I was hoping that I could get a left handed version and use my SKS ammo for a bolt action scoped rifle. Glad someone mentioned the tech sights that was what I meant when I said "peep" sight just forgot the name.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

CZ used to make a little 7.62x39 bolt action.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

H&R used to have a Handi-Rifle in 7.63x39.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

I like the X39 in it's original Military configuration. If I were going to buy a commercial rifle or carbine, it would not be in any X39 I can say for certain. I would just buy some thing along the lines of a .270 for the long range capability.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Tnic

Post by Tnic »

Greasemonkey wrote:A rough ballistic comparison is the .30-30 Win, while they are pretty close, they are not equal, the x39 is a little slower. The x39 round is not known as a hair splitting accuracy round. It was designed for somewhat intermediate range use and be minute of man.
As for better sights on an SKS, Tech-Sights work well, my father has the setup on his, much like shooting an M1 Carbine or Garand. http://www.tech-sights.com/ It's not a permanent alteration and holds accuracy well even after being tore down and put together.
Thanks for the link. THis solves my sight vs scope dilemma. After nearly 30 years firing M-16s I can relate to this very easily and the price is definitely right for them.

Bkloes, we always called em "peep" sights, but I guess the correct technical name is aperture sights. What ever you call em, I'm gonna have em on my SKS(s).
Если не мы, то кто?

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.”

― George Orwell
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

I have found myself often wishing I could go the opposite way. Sometimes I'd like to replace my aperture sights with a notch rear sight. As much as I like M1s, I hate to say it, but I have never cared for peep sights. I have heard the reasons why they are supposed to be better, but the more I shoot with them, the more I am unconvinced. (I guess you can tell I have never been in the military.) I guess it is all in what we grow accustomed to using, but I never see an advantage in obscuring more of your target behind the upper half of the rear sight. And I always find myself wishing that I had the horizontal line.