What is a new, unissued Polish M44 worth these days?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Capybara

What is a new, unissued Polish M44 worth these days?

Post by Capybara »

Found one, but the owner wants $600.00 It has a few surface scratches but is basically a brand new looking rifle. I have seen them selling for $400.00 to $500.00. I want it, but $600.00 seems ridiculous. What would you pay or what did you recently pay for a brand new Polish M44?
BubbaDX

Re: What is a new, unissued Polish M44 worth these days?

Post by BubbaDX »

Is it local where you can do a face to face transfer? It depends how bad I wanted it. $600 seems high to me, but if I really wanted it and the seller would not budge on price, I would buy it anyway.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:big shock: Wow. These trade high but that is pretty high to me anyway. :beek:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

The market is all over on these. Spring of 2013 I think we saw some sell for $700-800. Anywhere from $400 to high $500s seems to be the norm now. This would be for one of the "unissued" ones.

As far as what I'd pay for one, that's tough to say since I already own one. But if I was in the market for one I would sit and wait and see if I could find one for under $400, but I like sit and wait until I find the price I want.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$500-$1000 would be my guess, anything under $500 for the brand new Polish M44 should be grabbed right away.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I can't imagine spending that much for one, so fortunately for me I am pretty pleased with my Hungarian m44 with the dings here and there. However I am not seeing these go for cheap any longer. Everyone seems to know what they are, and just having the chance to buy one is more than a lot of folks get. If you have the cash and want it, might should get it. The next one might be more.
Flyin Brian

Post by Flyin Brian »

I saw one a year ago for $375 and laughed at the guy trying to sell it. I went back a week later after looking around at prices and he told me it was gone and laughed at me :(
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

bocephus wrote:The market is all over on these. Spring of 2013 I think we saw some sell for $700-800. Anywhere from $400 to high $500s seems to be the norm now. This would be for one of the "unissued" ones.

As far as what I'd pay for one, that's tough to say since I already own one. But if I was in the market for one I would sit and wait and see if I could find one for under $400, but I like sit and wait until I find the price I want.
X' 2
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

I approach these sort of things from the angle of will I be more happy to spend a bit more to have a nice rifle now or am I willing to wait and gamble that I'll find an equally nice rifle for a bit less. Personally, I'm usually willing to spend a bit more than take a risk. Especially, if it's a something that I'm going to keep.

Saving a 100-200 certainly isn't chump change, but you need to ask yourself if you'll be pissed that you lost out on a near mint rifle only to settle for something that might be not as good just to save a few bucks.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

$600 way too much. I think $400-$450 if you really must have one. :D
Trailcutter

Post by Trailcutter »

I got one in a face to face at a gun show 3 weeks ago for $380. I was tickled to death. That's one of the mosins I have wanted for a long time. I felt like it was a great deal.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I bought my mint one a while back when I hadn't been collecting very long. I paid $400 and thought it was a lot. But it is one of my favorites. I haven't shot it. Not sure if it ever has been. I'd guess I'm in it ok now and who knows what it could bring years down the road. But it isn't one I'd sell anyways. Maybe I'd pay $500 now but 600 is stretching it.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Keep a close eye on GB. Some months back, they were all selling for 500 plus. Things seemed to have settled a bit. I watch them all the time and if you are diligent and patient you might pick one up in the $425-475 range. With that said, if you don't have a C&R, by the time you pay shipping and FFL fee, you'll be up to $485-$535. Depends if he's going to hit you for fees and tax. As most members will tell you, if it speaks to you, remember it will never go down in value.
Mosinhope

Post by Mosinhope »

From what I have seen lately Type 44 Polish carbines in my area run $400.-$500.00 USD with $450.00 being more of the norm. I really do think $600.00 is too high. I do agree that sometimes you don't pay too much, but you pay too soon. However, I feel pretty confident that you can find a Polish Type 44 that is what you want for the above mentioned four to five hundred bucks. The seller seems like a jerk to me.
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

I am going to take some of your advice and hold off. I feel that $600.00 is just too overpriced for the market right now, although I know long term even that will seem like a good deal in a few years. I have quite a few M44s but my Hungarian needs a new stock and I am still looking for a Romanian and a Polish.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

2 trains of thought:
1) They don't make them anymore and the number of "New, Unissued" un-Bubba's is not going to increase.
2) That's a lot of money for something that's not impossible to find.

:2cents:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

$200 to $300 and anything over that is sellers greed and buyers stupidity. I saw one at the last show for $325 and it was pretty nice but I wouldn't go that high. They are around and they do change hands at times. For $600 he would own that rifle for a long time if I was the buyer. Those are the type of people I offer say $275 cash in my hand and if they say no I say well enjoy your rifle and walk away. If they come back later I say gee I just bought lunch for me and my buddy so all I have is $250. If they walk away you weren't meant to pay too much for that rifle. Take the walk it is cheaper on your pocketbook even if you feel a need for that rifle paying more than it is worth or you can get back out of it is downright stupid. Bill :o
breckenridge

Post by breckenridge »

I saw one go on Gunbroker about 6 months ago for $700, which was in as-new condition.

Personally, I was in up to $400 (what's a few less dinners out?), but after that I was out.
1933 M91/30 Izhevsk laminate
1948 M44 Izhevsk
1955 M44 Romanian
Capybara

Post by Capybara »

I would really like to have an unissued Polish M44 but my common sense tells me that anything over $500.00 is just too much although I bet even at $600.00, it's a good long term investment.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

zeebill wrote:$200 to $300 and anything over that is sellers greed and buyers stupidity. I saw one at the last show for $325 and it was pretty nice but I wouldn't go that high. They are around and they do change hands at times. For $600 he would own that rifle for a long time if I was the buyer. Those are the type of people I offer say $275 cash in my hand and if they say no I say well enjoy your rifle and walk away. If they come back later I say gee I just bought lunch for me and my buddy so all I have is $250. If they walk away you weren't meant to pay too much for that rifle. Take the walk it is cheaper on your pocketbook even if you feel a need for that rifle paying more than it is worth or you can get back out of it is downright stupid. Bill :o
$300? :shock: They are worth the $90 I paid for mine, or at least that is what I would pay for another :lol: I don't like paying big money for things, then it becomes about the money, not the joy of owning a piece of history.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt