Need Knowledge

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
berkmberk1

Need Knowledge

Post by berkmberk1 »

Has anyone ever seen a cartouche on a butt stock, shaped like a bullseye or "double" donut? It isn't an acceptance mark. There are no letters, numbers, or other symbols anywhere near it. Its about the size of a dime. I'm looking at another Finn MN (I haven't bought it yet.......I'm on the wagon for the rest of the year) and this is rather unique. I don't know if it is "official" or "trench art". I have never seen one like it before.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
Bgrant

Re: Need Knowledge

Post by Bgrant »

My guess would be trench art but pics would help.
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Right side of buttstock- just above the escutcheon?
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Knuckledragger wrote:Right side of buttstock- just above the escutcheon?

yep........
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Unknown mark at this time. Shows up on several types of Finn rifles-all in the same spot. Some speculate a type of accuracy mark. I'm not really on board with that yet. My P-series Dragoon has it.
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Knuckledragger wrote:Unknown mark at this time. Shows up on several types of Finn rifles-all in the same spot. Some speculate a type of accuracy mark. I'm not really on board with that yet. My P-series Dragoon has it.

These things are intriguing.......some shmo came up with the mark to designate something......a process.....a unit of something......a degree of somethng......a "tick" off the list of something........and obviously did it to a number of......stocks?......finished rifles?.....rebuild? And we will probably never know unless someone (probabbly in Finland or Russia) finds an old order, or book, or letter, or diary that says something about it.

Each one of my rifles is a "silent sentinel" so full of information I'll never know...........but I have such a great time trying to find out!!!

Thanks for the info.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Yep... That's what keeps us coming back :D
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Finnish Concentric circles mark, at present unknown. My take is this, it is a Finn mark to remind the shooter to aim at the mass of the body when aiming. How the heck do I come up with that? Well read The Sniper Simo Hayha by Tapio A. M. Saarelainen and look at page 113 and you will see a very similar marking to the one on your rifle and read how it was used to teach soldiers to aim and shoot. Just my wild idea using what was given to me in books and online. Bill :D
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I see your point. Could it be some sort of "fan club" symbol?? Seriously.....kids of every generation draw/doodle symbols representing the entertainers they are into. Young Gi's draw SS lightning bolts on their equipment, or skulls and cross bones, etc. Your observation could be a reinforcement of the accuracy designation theory......this rifle a equaled or surpassed requirements........so as to make sure it gets issued to a soldier with the commensurate skills to put it to best use.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Come on man. Take the fall. Accept the weakness. Embrace the weakness and it shall become your strength. Buy it and show us lots of pictures, and just remember brother.........we are here for you!:P
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

You would make the best mosin wingman BD :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

berkmberk1 wrote:I see your point. Could it be some sort of "fan club" symbol?? Seriously.....kids of every generation draw/doodle symbols representing the entertainers they are into. Young Gi's draw SS lightning bolts on their equipment, or skulls and cross bones, etc. Your observation could be a reinforcement of the accuracy designation theory......this rifle a equaled or surpassed requirements........so as to make sure it gets issued to a soldier with the commensurate skills to put it to best use.
Your quote touches on why I don't believe this to be an accuracy designation. Why would the stock get the stamp? It's the action that is the, "accurate" part. What happens if the stock cracks or breaks and is replaced by a new one? This is why true accuracy marks (such as the CH stamp on Mosin snipers) are on the actual metal.
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

This is what is on the rifle in question..........a 91/30 stock used on an emergency repaired M27
100_3580.JPG
You have a valid point. But I suppose there is the argument that could be made that these cartouches were stamped on the original rifle, or possibly on the original Finn rebuild. Then......It could be peculiar to rifles issued to a particular ocmpany or battalion (not enough call to do that for twenty or thirty rifles or less........no point if you're doing it for more i.e. regiment or larger.) If Finnish, I doubt it wouid mean captured, or rebuilt, or anything of the like, because who cares at that point.

I guess I'm still leaning towards a "special" designator. But what?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998