Bubba has no respect...

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
lalunette

Bubba has no respect...

Post by lalunette »

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewto ... 2&t=133038

I cried...

This is his second go around as well...

:angry4:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Bubba has no respect...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Why even visit a Bubba board? I say Bubba board because why else would the boards administration allow such posts if it wasn't? If that showed up here it would only last until an administrator saw it, but our board has different rules from that other one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

That is the reason this is the only gun forum I visit.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Obviously this is the kind of stuff that tickles this fella's sensitive stuff. Cutting up fine weapons with cheap ass tools & such. Notice how boy wonder is making a duplicate of his first mess? Never mentions if the first one was even accurate. A tool to cut & crown the barrel that cost under $2??? I'm really curious how well that gun shoots... I'll take him on with one of my M39's anyday with open sights against his fab work, cheap tools & cheap ass Walmart scope. Pardon me while I vomit in the trash can.

Also; Don't post wonderjobs like this on these forums again... I appreciate your showing us how morons achieve epic levels of stupid... But my stomach just ain't up for it. F@(%!NG Bubbas.... :roll:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Interesting how he mentions what year and receiver style, who cares, he's ruining it. I wonder if he mentions 32 hex to make it hurt even more. :shock:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

It is a free world,but this is a preservation forum.
Bubba's work,or or his ideals,are not welcome here.
Period..
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I spent 25 years trying to find a nice German GEW98, rifle after rifle I would find with holes drilled in it, or other things chopped off, this has not left me with warm fuzzy feelings about Bubba. This is a preservation board geared mostly to collectors , what a man does in his own home is his own business not mine, just so long as I do not see it on these pages or hear about it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

cupid stunt wrote:
shoto2758 wrote:It is a free world,but this is a preservation forum.
Bubba's work,or or his ideals,are not welcome here.
Period..
Very true. But if it were not for innovation there would be nothing to preserve, and this forum would not exist.

Give thanks to Bubba for the rifles you own. :)
Bubba had absolutely nothing to do with the milsurps I own, for that I can thank the US Government, and the governments of Canada, the UK, Australia, India, South Africa, Belgium, USSR, DDR, Romania, Bulgaria, Japan, Italy, Switzerland, Finland, France, Egypt, Turkey, China, Mexico, Argentina, Chile, Venezuela, Portugal, Denmark, Spain, Poland, Hungary, as well as others for kindly selling me their surplus military rifles rather than scrapping them. Also thanks go to the inventors of these rifles in their assorted countries, Bubba may alter their work, but he invented none of it.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I forgot Sweden, and Germany.
Theodore Roosevelt
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

Had guns like that been what I saw when I found Mosin I would not have had any interest in them.
lalunette

Post by lalunette »

Rongo wrote: Also; Don't post wonderjobs like this on these forums again... I appreciate your showing us how morons achieve epic levels of stupid... But my stomach just ain't up for it. F@(%!NG Bubbas.... :roll:
Sorry, I did not want to upset you... or your stomach. I was just so totally taken aback by this bubba's complete lack of respect for these historical guns, as well as his cheap ass approach, that I felt I had to share.

As a reply to the person who asked why I visit this other forum... it is simply to keep an eye on various other subjects... including MNs.

I have to say that I fully appreciate the attitude of this forum and thank its members for convincing me to preserve my '34 Tula hex "as is".

Have no fear, this attitude will be carried over to the SVT-40 I'm picking up tomorrow !!
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

It seems like a lot of work for a hog gun. He had that when he bought it. From 100-300 yards, put the hog inside the little circle at the end of the barrel and pull the trigger, and you'll likely hit it. If other ammo was cheaper or the SKS was still under $200 I'm sure they wouldn't bother doing this sort of work.

He could have probably found a used Savage or Remington 770 already scoped for around $250.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I never have time to visit other boards, I barely have time to visit this one , I know they are out there, but out there they will stay. Maybe when I retire, but of course that will be the day after I kick the bucket.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I forgot Sweden, and Germany.
And Czechoslovakia, Brazil, Norway and Austria :lol:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't think I have a rifle made in Norway, Brazil I have something, and Austria made that straight pull I still have packed away.
Theodore Roosevelt
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

Never mind a Remington 700. He could have had one of the other modern, less expensive bolt actions for even less than that. I think the cause of a lot of these is cheap ammo. If we had modern bolt guns in 54R, some of these idiots would probably buy them instead.

That is what I call a Bubba. That is not even quality custom work. Granted, it would be better not to modiyf it in the first place, but that is even a step lower in respectability. That is a hack job.
Notice how me also mentions using the cocking piece extension to de-cock it? I guess it makes sense. Someone who would do this is one of the same dweebs who think de-cocking a Mosin with a loaded chamber is a good idea.

Personally, I'm not opposed to buying a spare bolt (or just a spare cocking piece) and making the safety knob usable. I haven't done this, but have toyed with idea. But if I did I'd keep the original. They even make a clamp-on ring that wouldn't require any alteration.

But its really a lot easier to just leave the chamber empty until you're ready to shoot.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

No one has a problem with buying spare parts. We all know that some of these rifles don't function correctly. I recently bought a Finn 9130 that I could not adjust the firing pin back far enough. After trial and error I changed the firing pin and it now checks out perfectly. But, no one can improve on this design. It is fully mature in it's design and perfect for the day and time it was designed for. We can only sit back and marvel at it's simplicity of design, ruggedness and overall good looks, let alone it's history and infinite variations. It is a shame when these folks destroy these rifles. I am able to save one from time to time, but there is a glut of non restorable bubba's are coming out of the woodwork. I can't imagine who would buy one.

I agree though... I don't much relish hearing about the latest butcher job. :x
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

cupid stunt wrote:Moaning about what people do with their firearms is not constructive. If you really care about preserving milsurps then education is the answer.
I recommend everyone who really cares about preservation join that forum.
The aim of that board is not preservation, just like we discourage people from joining here who are into alteration over preservation, we should not in turn invade the places they call home were our outlook would not be welcome. It's a big internet, there is a board for everyone so long as Bubba stays on his own boards there is no conflict. How long could some of us keep silent on such a board before letting it be known what we thought of whatever chopped up rifle they thought was the cats pajamas that week? Would they want to hear it any more than we want to hear about chopping up milsurps here?
Theodore Roosevelt
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I'm a mechanical engineer by day. I've spent most of my career designing systems and fixing stuff. So it would be easy for me to find everything wrong with a +100 year old design and fix it. But someone already did 40 or 50 years ago and I could buy one of those C&Rs instead. The things people complain about are the reason these rifles still work after wartime abuse, rework, and decades of storage. Simplicity has an elegance all it's own.

Spending $500-1000 to fix these rifles into something else seems odd to me. Buy a VEPR in 7.62x54r and be done.

Spending $100 to $200 on them to make them better and you can just buy a more accurate Fin version and be done.

Hacking them up for $0 because they are too long, too heavy, have a straight bolt, or you can't hit a target; don't know what to say.

If they cost $300 and the ammo was $0.75 to a $1 each people would pass on them and buy plastic stock low end starter rifles to mess with. I think cost of ammo is the determining factor.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Cost is always a factor, you don't see many people cutting us $700 US M1903's these days. Trying to make a $200 milsurp into a $2000 sport rifle never made sense to me, milsurps simple aren't made to that high standard of smoothness and finish. I own sport rifles, legit ones, my Savage 110 was not an expensive rifle, but right out of the box it will outperform 95% of my milsurps, I could do all sorts of expensive and time consuming crap to a Mosin but it's still not going to shoot like that 110, never mind one of the higher end sporters. I have my eye on a friends Dad's 270 Sako, he's had it since the 70's and it's been out one time.
Theodore Roosevelt