Ok food for thought

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Themosinkid95

Ok food for thought

Post by Themosinkid95 »

Ok I'm looking into more mosins,and it hit me,will carburetor cleaner take commie grease off of the metal parts? Has anybody ever tried this?
"Just when they think you're retreatin',you attack!"- Jeb Stuart
TopperT

Re: Ok food for thought

Post by TopperT »

Best I found was Kingsford Charcoal Fluid..........then I started buying Finn's and the problem went away........ :shifty:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Kinda expensive, but should work just don't get any on the wood.
mikeg1952

Post by mikeg1952 »

strip it down and use boiling water....Not much cheaper than that.
Oil when finished.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Mineral spirits works just fine.
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

mikeg1952 wrote:strip it down and use boiling water....Not much cheaper than that.
Oil when finished.
That's what I've been doing but I need something easier
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

First of all, where the heck have you been? Second, yes you can use it, but it is really too aggressive. I would suggest finding something better because one mistake and it gets on your stock it will mess it up. I would go with the mineral spirits if you don't want to fool with boiling some free water and literally melting away the greasy cosmo.:P
Mike

Post by Mike »

Carburetor cleaner will take off the black paint the commies used to touch up poor blueing jobs, you'll end up with a patchy finish.
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
GP Spmam

Post by GP Spmam »

I've had good luck with Zep purple cleaner (Home Depot) at about 50% dilution with water. It will defat your hands if you don't wear gloves though :twisted:
I would stay away from carb cleaner - that is nasty stuff.
m1guy

Post by m1guy »

It would probably work-- yes. But I can't see the need for anything NEARLY as strong as carb cleaner.

But for me, I don't see the point in cleaning off all the grease anyway, getting it squeaky clean and then re-oiling it. I think that is a little like dehydrating something and then adding water right back to it. I don't use boiling water or any slovent. Wiping works just fine. I just take it apart, wipe off what I can, blow it with compressed air to get the "big globs" out, and repeat a few times. After that, it is still greased. A little grease = good, not bad.
Last edited by m1guy on Thu Dec 05, 2013 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Yaaa..The Kids back.
I stick with the Mineral Spirits /and some boiling
Oil,and your good.Dont take that long.
You can always zap it again for long storage if you want.
https://www.dlbensinger.com/product_inf ... 59581f1eec
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

It just seemed like a good idea,y'all know what I mean
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Just wipe the grease off with a soft rag, if you must have squeeky clean metal then use simple green. All the solvents mentioned contain shit you shouldn't be sucking into your lungs.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Be careful with cleaning wood. If you think it works great for shellac and try it on a Finn stock, you may degrease the stock and concurrently take all the original finish off, greatly knocking down the value. Don't ask me how I know.

That's why I now clean with paper towels and cotton rags only. Nothing wet.
Themosinkid95

Post by Themosinkid95 »

neal45 wrote:Be careful with cleaning wood. If you think it works great for shellac and try it on a Finn stock, you may e degrease the stock and concurrently take all the original finish off, greatly knocking down the value. Don't ask me how I know.

That's why I now clean with paper towels and cotton rags only. Nothing wet.
I know not to hit the wood with it,I have surgical wipes for that purpose,they takao the grease off the stock
gurn

Post by gurn »

I agree with M1guy. All I ever do is wipe down and leave a thin coating. Its just grease and should mix with what ever you oil it with. I feel that way it keeps rust away better.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Mike wrote:Carburetor cleaner will take off the black paint the commies used to touch up poor blueing jobs, you'll end up with a patchy finish.

You are absolutely right but if you don't buy or collect refurbs you don't worry about that do you. Use runner gloves, do it outside (tough to do in the winter), keep it miles away from the wood, and blow it off with compressed air immediately and away from anything you value. I have used it for years with no troubles and if you buy the Wallmart stuff when it is on sale it is $1.19 for a bottle. Depending on how dirty a new to me rifle is I can get 2 to 3 done per can. Do not get it in your eyes or you will curse me till your death which may come soon at you own hands, God it smarts!! If you use the little red extender nozzle it is a lot easier to control where you want it to go. Just keep it away from your face and body and try not to breath it. Bad stuff if you are not very careful with it. I use it and as soon as I am done I head for the sink and wash my face and hands with cold water and plenty of soap. It evaporates and becomes air born fumes almost immediately after hitting and removing just about anything so in the winter it gets you even colder if the temps are already down. Bill :o
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would never use carburetor cleaner on a firearm, it's not easy to find around here and I badly need it for cleaning.....wait for it.....Carburetors. That ether crap they put in the gas now has me cleaning small engine carb's all the time, and I have to do the antique Fords at least once a year.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
gurn

Post by gurn »

Cant you get the ethanol free gas for your old stuff up there in NY JYD? We use it in our mowers generators and anything with a carb. It wont cause that funky gum crap build up. I know you get gas from the junk cars that come in but at least use it in the T
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
tide72

Post by tide72 »

I use mineral spirits followed by carb cleaner followed by Hobbs #9. I built a PVC pipe closed at both ends filled with mineral spirits...oak the barrel in it overnight and then used carb cleaner followed by Hobbs #9... seems to work for me. I soak the small parts in mineral spirits followed by carb cleaner. I throw a bore snake in for good measure. Follow all this with some good oil.