What's up with all the "rare" rifles showing up??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gsragtop

What's up with all the "rare" rifles showing up??

Post by Gsragtop »

It seems that a good number of the current imports (at least from Molot) seem to be DDR, ex sniper, and MOs.. It seems these were "rare" or at least uncommon for years, but now the market is flooded with them. Ok maybe flooded is not the right word, but they sure do seem to be a lot of them, at least more then one would expect.. So what gives?? Why so many all of a sudden??
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What's up with all the "rare" rifles showing up??

Post by millman »

The Molots are coming out of Russia. We are used to seeing the Ukrainian imports. It just might be that all of the rare ones we were seeing, are really common as dirt, and the Ukrainian stuff (the old normal) is the anomaly. Nobody knows for sure. That is certain.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

hmm?
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Opening up the warehouses does sometimes have an effect on rarity (and price) sometimes. When I was a teenager in the 80's Swiss rifles especially the K31 were on the scarce side and back then pretty expensive. Many years later during the first part of the last decade $109.00 bucks for one, who would have guessed?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

millman wrote:The Molots are coming out of Russia. We are used to seeing the Ukrainian imports. It just might be that all of the rare ones we were seeing, are really common as dirt, and the Ukrainian stuff (the old normal) is the anomaly. Nobody knows for sure. That is certain.
+1
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Completely agree with Millman. That is one reason I don't knock the Molots. First of all I just don't know but the fact that they come straight from Russia is what peaks my curiosity the most.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

bunkysdad wrote:Completely agree with Millman. That is one reason I don't knock the Molots. First of all I just don't know but the fact that they come straight from Russia is what peaks my curiosity the most.
+2 We are finally seeing what is still sitting in Russian Depots and I am of the opinion that it may not last as long as the Ukranian imports so it wouldn't be wise IMHO to wait on purchasing an uncommon one if you get the chance.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

http://www.shotgunnews.com/2012/04/26/r ... lion-guns/ We might not see Russian imports for much longer. :b sad: :b sad: :b sad:
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If I had a suspicious mind I might be thinking dark thoughts of added stampings put there to increase a rifles sales appeal by unscrupulous sellers.....Wait a minute, I do have a suspicious mind.
Ukraine, Russia, all of these rifles are Soviet, and were produced by neither of the current countries ( in theory) At one time they were both the USSR and these rifles would have been stored in every corner of that vast country, all with a similar mix of markings.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:pointup: YUP!
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

I too think it's because these Rifles are coming from Russia now.

A quick google make it look like the Molot factory is here, you've got Moscow to the west and Izhevsk to the East so they're right up in the mix of things.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

During the Cold War Ukraine, being closer to the west, would have been more in the mix of things, and were much equipment was prepositioned to ward off, or start an invasion from, or against western forces on Europe. I would guess that the current crop out of Russia is coming from similar communist era stashes that were around the country with a mix of police turn in rifles and so on. The only question would be whatever Molot might do to them before shipping them over. We know about the Ukraine hoard, we see the big crates, we know were they came from, we can be confident that the rifles have not been messed with except for the import mark since the Soviets stashed them. We have no such information about the Molots inside Russia, and I wouldn't hold my breath expecting any. The Molots seem to be handled more on a rifle by rifle basis, no 20 rifle crates, it's possible they are sorting them by markings, or even adding a few to make you buy them. It's not as if any of these markings would be hard to fake, American Bubbas can do it also so I would avoid paying a premium price for any MO, DDR, or whatever marking.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

It couldn't be that the Russians would keep the best examples in Mother Russia and sent the second and third tier rifles to the satellite countries. No, that would never happen.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Gosh, I would hate to find out that Molot was stamping the DDR's and MO's and performing other devious acts themselves. I suppose that theory is as creditable and any other since we flat don't know. Molot could also have skimmed the cream off the top as well. All I know is that they come up with some pretty fantastic stuff. I have one of their M-44's only because of the zigzag stock repair was too cool to pass up.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I won't have to worry about any of that. I never have paid extra to get any stampings. I could care less if the rifle has multiple dates or a 1 in a triangle or a gap under the rear sight or red letters if it costs extra. If it doesn't cost extra then it's game on!:P
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

millman wrote:The Molots are coming out of Russia. We are used to seeing the Ukrainian imports. It just might be that all of the rare ones we were seeing, are really common as dirt, and the Ukrainian stuff (the old normal) is the anomaly. Nobody knows for sure. That is certain.

Wow that is sage advice and comment! I agree and have been spouting this for years. This is another good reason I stay almost completely away from refurbs unless I can move them fast and make seed money for other rifles I really want. With a refurb I will be first to admit we at the present time do not really know what the real value of it will be in 20 years as more and more will be brought out of the Com-bloc countries and are maybe assembled by modern entities for profit. You just have to make your decisions and go with what floats your boat I guess?

As far as the 4 million Russia is going to melt down they are for most part more modern rifles and parts so I think we need not worry about Mosins being in there to a great number. Bill ;mywink;
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

We're just talking about motorcycles right guys???

Molot Motorcycle.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

I don't think they are faking stamps, most look like they have been there a while with many having been reblued after the stamp and then re worn again.. I guess the Russian vs Ukraine hords make some sence as well.

I wonder if they will ever update the rarity scale on that other web page, because I know many people use it as a guide.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I don't know that I every use the rarity scale anyway. I use the Tom's coolness scale. The problem is the two overlap :big shock: