First spam can

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
unhealthyhoarder

First spam can

Post by unhealthyhoarder »

I just purchased my first spam can of 54r. They even gave me an opener. I also got primers and high quality propellant. I am ordering lapua brass and tsx bullets to start reloading. Anybody got insight into these unrelated events?
desdem12

Re: First spam can

Post by desdem12 »

Yup......DAMN you found powder you could use? I taint seen none that in a while here. Lapua is derned higher then hog dropped from one dem copter whirly dohickeys. Sounds like a sweet haul to me. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
unhealthyhoarder

Vihtavuori powder

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, And your "Journey Begins" Have fun, Play safe..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

unhealthyhoarder wrote:Vihtavuori powder
Nice, matches the brass then. I don't have any vit powder but there is a place that started getting it here not to long ago. Not sure if my book lists it or not. I would have to look but I think I did some x54 with some 380. I did some 8mm mauser with the same powder as that was all I could find for a long time. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Congrats on all that unhealthy hording. Are you getting your supplies at Grafs? Or locally? The brass is 112.00 per hundred at Grafs. A little rich for my blood, but you get what you pay for, and they are the best.
http://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/cat ... goryId/771?
Looks like they are out of almost all of the Vit powders.
unhealthyhoarder

I shop at the he outpost armory in Tennessee when I can. They don't have a strong online presence

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That's good to have a well stocked gunshop with reloading supplies locally.
ModelAUZI

Post by ModelAUZI »

Remember when opening the can to take a big wiff of the fresh smell of mother Russia from about 1974. :chuckles: :chuckles: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
"There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."
- Ted Nugent
unhealthyhoarder

Image OCD partially satisfied.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

:P :P :D
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

ModelAUZI wrote:Remember when opening the can to take a big wiff of the fresh smell of mother Russia from about 1974. :chuckles: :chuckles: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Glad to know I'm not the only one who does that. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Keep smelling commie factory chemical solvents and you will get worse brain damage :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Grizzybear

Post by Grizzybear »

I like to open them and leave em in my car..weird huh..I also use hopes 9 as aftershave.
1931/32- M91/30 Ex Dragoon
1932 91/30 DDR Hex
1956 Type 53
Yugo M24/47 Mauser
1941 Mauser 98k 41CE
dft

Post by dft »

Did anyone else pick up on the phrase, "to start reloading"? If you're new to reloading, pick up a good reloading manual from a reliable company like Lee, Lyman, Hornady. When they say max load, they mean max load. If you know anyone who reloads, ask for advice or watch them for awhile. Also, the spam can I bought, without an opener, turns out to have copper-washed steel cartridge cases; not brass like most common modern ammo. Many, dare I say, most reloading dies aren't built to handle steel cases. I bought the spam can with the intention of reloading also; now I'll have to re-think my supply of "brass". If I mis-intrepreted your phrase "to start reloading", my apologies.

p.s. How does one open these cans without tearing them up? I had to use the chisels from my air gun & a hammer.
IMG-20131205-00613sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Oooh, that looks messy!
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

You can run a grinder around the top edge of the can to open it. If that makes you nervous, a file and some elbow greese will do the same. A flat sharp chisel and hammer from the bottom and under the lip upward works too. Cutting a smaller hole and pulling the bundles out through that works too.
dft

Post by dft »

I have the cutoff tool but I wanted to preserve the can... that didn't happen. I went to slick gun's ammo sales site and it looked like they opened their can (in the picture) without tearing it up. Maybe an old time kitchen can opener and lots of time?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Now that is a torn up can!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

dft wrote:Did anyone else pick up on the phrase, "to start reloading"? If you're new to reloading, pick up a good reloading manual from a reliable company like Lee, Lyman, Hornady. When they say max load, they mean max load. If you know anyone who reloads, ask for advice or watch them for awhile. Also, the spam can I bought, without an opener, turns out to have copper-washed steel cartridge cases; not brass like most common modern ammo. Many, dare I say, most reloading dies aren't built to handle steel cases. I bought the spam can with the intention of reloading also; now I'll have to re-think my supply of "brass". If I mis-intrepreted your phrase "to start reloading", my apologies.

p.s. How does one open these cans without tearing them up? I had to use the chisels from my air gun & a hammer.
IMG-20131205-00613sm.jpg

Yeah but if you read what he said at the beginning. "I am ordering lapua brass and tsx bullets to start reloading." I think he means to reload the Lapua brass but I'm not sure. Also any of the surplus 7.62x54R you'll see for sale is Copper Washed Steel or Lacquer Coated steel. There's some brass surplus from other countries but those have't been seen for years except the occasional private sale.

Here's how you'll know what's in the tin. See where it says "Case Type" in the photo? Fund the corresponding charactors in the chart and it should tell you what the cases are.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.