addons for 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
MarkB

addons for 91/30

Post by MarkB »

Hey guys can anyone help me out here i'm not sure what to get as I have seen many diff ones with various reviews. Can anyone help me find a buttpad and maybe a scope system for my 91/30? Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Cheers!
Chumlee Bumsnag

Re: addons for 91/30

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

I don't have any scope experience but I can help you out with a buttpad. I require a longer length of pull (longer stock) and installed a couple of hard rubber buttpads on a couple of my 91/30's. They made the rifle easier for me to sight and absorbed quite a bit of the recoil. What I didn't like was that they had to be screwed on and made the 91/30 too long for my longest case. Really.

I decided to try something different and picked up a large Limbsaver slip-on pad. It gave me the LOP I like and absorbed almost all the recoil. It feels like I'm shooting a gas operated SVT or M-14 now. It slides on and off easily so it works on all my Mosins. It cost $38 up here in Canada, but for me it was money well spent.
Feel free to post pictures of wives and girlfriends in skimpy t-shirts shooting Mosins with no buttpads. I won't mind.

MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Now with the buttpad that uses the screw hols from the metal plate can I bolt the rubber over the metal plate or does it install just the rubber pad? Thanks for the help much appreciated. Cheers!
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Jumperwire »

There are a few "scout mounts" out there. I'm not sure what's considered the better one. You can search the forum for posts on this or I'm sure somebody will chime in with what they use. I have heard of one of them that loosens up when you shoot, but I don't recall which one that was.
Chumlee Bumsnag

Post by Chumlee Bumsnag »

The rubber pad replaces the metal plate.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks for the replies guys. Jumper I have looked at a few diff mounts and scopes it seems though the rails for it loosen over time and some other issues I read some feedback about 2 different rail mounts. The scopes I have saw were on the cheaper end price wise so I wasn't so sure of what to do. Cheers!
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

There are two or three mounts that will not move. One is the Darrell mount. That's the best, but there are two others that are real good. I'll post them when I get home if someone don't beat me to it.

As always, if you use a 'slip over" butt pad, make sure to remove it when done or it will sweat and mess up your finish on the rifle. But it takes a while before that happens (weeks).

Dolk
blackwolf97

Post by blackwolf97 »

I found that the screw-on buttpad didn't want to work too well without the metal buttplate. I'm sure that the buttpad can be installed without the metal piece, but my M44 seemed to want to be contrary. I'm also about to buy the Monte Cristo stock from ATI as sold at Amazon. After that, I'm debating whether or not I want to start using a scope. If I do, that means I'm also going to find some mounts that'll work with the straight handle I've got AND mounts to the stock instead of the receiver.
GrandPrix.Net

Sig P238 .40S&W
Izhevsk M44
Izhevsk SKS
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

A scope mount that mounts to the stock is not likely to hold zero IMHO.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Drago

Post by Drago »

After my 1st outing with my son's M38 and his bruised shoulder, I bought a Limbsaver, size M, for $18 @ Walmart. Absorbed most of the recoil. Slipped right off and onto an SKS, too.
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

The rubber butt pad will probibly need to be filed a bit to get it to fit properly if you chose to go that route. I'm trying out a mount that replaces the front sight leaf. NC Star makes a decent scope for the money. Just bought an NC Star illuminated Pistolero scope for a little over $50 @ opticsplanet. I have an NC Star scope on my SKS and have no complaints with it.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

sclinesr wrote:The rubber butt pad will probibly need to be filed a bit to get it to fit properly if you chose to go that route. I'm trying out a mount that replaces the front sight leaf. NC Star makes a decent scope for the money. Just bought an NC Star illuminated Pistolero scope for a little over $50 @ opticsplanet. I have an NC Star scope on my SKS and have no complaints with it.
When I was talking to the LGS about my M43's rear sight and how it was everything I could do to half see it, he mentioned a scope mount that fits on the rear sight. You pop out the rear sight and put the mount in. That would seem like the way to go. I find it a challenge I like using the existing irons, but if I was taking a MN or the M43 out hunting I would probably think long and hard about a scope.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

If I want to use a scoped rifle I use my Remington 700.

I have a lot of Mosins & only one has a scope. A scout scope setup & it works very well.... But for some reason I prefer shooting with the iron sights. :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The best cure for a black and blue shoulder is to shoot more, lots more, after the first 4-5 thousand rounds you will no longer notice this "recoil" thing people are always talking about :) As for scope mounts, can't help there, I never scope my milsurps, I like to experiance them as the soldiers issued them did.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:The best cure for a black and blue shoulder is to shoot more, lots more, after the first 4-5 thousand rounds you will no longer notice this "recoil" thing people are always talking about :) As for scope mounts, can't help there, I never scope my milsurps, I like to experiance them as the soldiers issued them did.
That & placing the butt into the "meat" of the shoulder. None of that high ride AR-15 stuff. I've seen little folk shoot all day with no issue with proper butt placement. I remember Skipper shooting all day at the age of 12 with no issues.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, my pistol shooter friends had no problems with my 91/59 shooting hundreds of rounds through it, in fact they were fighting over who got to use it next. Proper shoulder placement is a must or you will beat yourself to death.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt