Gander Mtn unpleasantness

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

Gander Mtn unpleasantness

Post by racerguy00 »

My parents swung by Gander Mountain Thursday, and noticed 3 empty mosin crates for $30 each. MarksmanTim had seen two there a few days ago. They bought one for me as an early christmas present and were told I could pick it up today with the truck. Its an hr drive but no biggie. Showed up and two full ones were there but no empties, not even the one purchased by my parents. Were were told the all were sold and tried to give us rain check. When we complained that we had a specific one paid for theysaid they are all the same. They are not, sometimes they are broken etc.

Also it was a madhouse. The rifles were clean, and guys had 5 and six in their arms at a time banging them around then literally dropping the piles back into the crates that were open. The manager finally yelled at them after I complained. I didn't even look through them. Too disgusted.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Titanium Hammer

Re: Gander Mtn unpleasantness

Post by Titanium Hammer »

That is a real bummer racerguy, sorry to hear about it. 'Tis the season, that's for sure. I dared venture to Cabelas this morning after dropping my wife off at work at 4:30. I got there just as the doors were opening and I've never seen so many people at a Cabelas in my life. I was under the illusion that I might have a chance at one of the 600 door prizes they had....LOL! The line snaked around the store to the back parking lot and kept going. Thankfully I made it in fairly quickly but the line to check out was just as long. I peeked at the Mosins but looked to be the usual mid 40's Izhevsk's and my dislike of crowds kicked in so I was out of there within 40 minutes. I got my Caldwell Lead Sled Plus, a box of 22LR and some cleaning patches and boogied. The guy in front of me at the register got one of the 600 door prizes, a gift certificate for $5 and ended up buying a shirt for $44! Oh well, my first Black Friday experience and definitely my last.
Jlr2267

Post by Jlr2267 »

racerguy00 wrote:My parents swung by Gander Mountain Thursday, and noticed 3 empty mosin crates for $30 each. MarksmanTim had seen two there a few days ago. They bought one for me as an early christmas present and were told I could pick it up today with the truck. Its an hr drive but no biggie. Showed up and two full ones were there but no empties, not even the one purchased by my parents. Were were told the all were sold and tried to give us rain check. When we complained that we had a specific one paid for theysaid they are all the same. They are not, sometimes they are broken etc.

Also it was a madhouse. The rifles were clean, and guys had 5 and six in their arms at a time banging them around then literally dropping the piles back into the crates that were open. The manager finally yelled at them after I complained. I didn't even look through them. Too disgusted.
I think I would have suggested they empty one of those full crates ASAP. That is just poor customer service right there...and another reason I will not shop at GM.
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Call the main office and also call the regional manager. I had a place pull that on me. They later send me $50 coupon. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

ida hit somone very short temper for stupid things like this
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

They wouldn't empty one out.
Today showed me the whole arsenal/forced match thing might be a lost cause. People just don't understand that refurbs are most likely forced matched even with no line outs etc. If you have a Tula marked butt plate on an Izhevsk, its a good indicator of forced matching. Same with othrr parts. Guys were digging through the crates looking for 'all matching' ones, and really tearing them up doing it. The guy I mentioned had at least a half dozen rifles in his arms that his buddy had handed him while digging. When done he just leaned over and dumped them back in. When I told him they were firearms not chordwood he said theyre junkers anyways. These were really decent looking rifles. Thats when I went BACK to the manager and bitched again.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Brake Weight

Post by Brake Weight »

Jlr2267 wrote:I think I would have suggested they empty one of those full crates ASAP. That is just poor customer service right there...and another reason I will not shop at GM.
I avoid GM at all costs. Hate the place as bad as WalMart.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Racer, did you get your crate or a refund? I guess you showed them the receipt? They should have put your name on it and moved it to where the butthole customers couldn't get to it to tip the sign off of it. Man, sometimes, it would almost be worth going to jail. It was time to knock!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The managers need to get this crap under control. People run through the stores to get their nose pickers on a big screen TV, not caring who they knock down in the process. Gander Mountain was irresponsible to turn a crate full of rifles loose to a pack of freakin wild dogs with no controls in place.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Ridiculous and really bad service. They will go out of business with an attitude like that. Real people will not put up with bad customer service. :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4: :angry4:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

There are videos hitting the interwebs from Walmart and such, they make me loose faith in humanity.. Just people going nuts, how can you think this is An OK way to act in public??? Meanwhile my wife and I went to a store that was having a 50% off everything sale! and it was very pleasant, nice people everyone in a good mood. So it goes to show you avoid walmart..lol
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

The people working in these places have no appreciation for the rifles, or, apparently, the customers. That's when I get my money back and walk away. :angry4:
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

after the campaign of baby alive a couple of years ago I wont ever go out on black Friday. Its a mad house
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

They refunded my father's money.

Guys, I will tell you something. The sound of an armful of rifles being dumped into a half filled crate is a sickening sound.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You know what it reminds me of? The picture in my mind is of troops rounding enemy rifles up on the battlefield and throwing them on a pile.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I am sorry to tell you guys and gals but that is your future America.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I stayed home today, I've started a new tradition on not spending ONE RED CENT on Black Friday. I did kinda break that vow though, bought a new blaze orange stocking cap on ebay a bit ago for $3.98 brand new...dogs got hold of my old one, evidently it musta got a drop of doe urine on it or something... :big shock:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

racerguy00 wrote:They wouldn't empty one out.
Today showed me the whole arsenal/forced match thing might be a lost cause. People just don't understand that refurbs are most likely forced matched even with no line outs etc. If you have a Tula marked butt plate on an Izhevsk, its a good indicator of forced matching. Same with othrr parts. Guys were digging through the crates looking for 'all matching' ones, and really tearing them up doing it. The guy I mentioned had at least a half dozen rifles in his arms that his buddy had handed him while digging. When done he just leaned over and dumped them back in. When I told him they were firearms not chordwood he said theyre junkers anyways. These were really decent looking rifles. Thats when I went BACK to the manager and bitched again.
Dave I'm reading this and sitting here shaking my head. It's bad enough they sold an item, your crate, they already sold. I know exactly what kind of madhouse things are and not just because it's the holidays so I get that things are hectic but the moronic attitude is not the way anyone I had working for me would have been with customers. That was bad enough but reading the description of what you saw made my blood start to boil. The same feeling I get with some of the stuff I see on forums about how they're mass produced so it's not big deal to refinish them or it's just a run of the mill rifle so I can cut the stock up since it's not a real collectible rifle. I'm not as nice as I used to be and would have told the cord wood carrier he was an F***in' moron. Just to see if he'd take a swing that is. My patience with idiocy has grown paper thin these last few years.

ARGH!!!!!!!! :angry4:
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

They opened a GM in my area a few weeks ago,they are fairly new in Florida,first one in this area..So i had heard you guys talk about them and knew they carried Mosins so i had to go check them out.They only had three,but they were behind the counter and they only had one guy working that whole side of the counter,i waited a while,but grew tired (and irritated) of standing there while he waited on other customers.They should of had more people working the counter,i left.
I was impressed with the amount of ammo they had though.
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I hate the "holiday shopping season" every dumbshit in the country saves up so they can do all their buying of stupid shit on one Friday.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt