Rather Hefty Selling Price - Wz.91/98/25 8mm

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
martin08

Rather Hefty Selling Price - Wz.91/98/25 8mm

Post by martin08 »

The result of this auction surprised me some, but I didn't mind seeing the hefty price one tiny bit! $2,825.00 for a non-matching Polish Wz.91/98/25. :D :D :D

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =265181383

I've got less than $600 in mine... and that's for both of them!
Last edited by martin08 on Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rather Hefty Selling Price

Post by Jumperwire »

Now that's an interesting rifle. It looks German,Russian, Finnish with a little bubba? What gives? :D :D
avenger

Post by avenger »

Perhaps mosins will be worth something one day :mrgreen: Just like SKS :vcool:
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

That is no run of the mill Mosin. Its a Polish 8MM conversion.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Post war rifle I think.

It is rare, but not that rare.

Dolk
avenger

Post by avenger »

millman wrote:That is no run of the mill Mosin. Its a Polish 8MM conversion.
I know..but still SKSs used to be around the same prices as mosins and sold just the way mosins are now...and their prices went up... thats all i was saying.. :vcool:
-John
"Hunting small animals is easy. You shoot at them with this and it lights them on fire and cooks them before you even get to them" -Me when showing picture of M44
Drago

Post by Drago »

Martin, are yours 8mm conversions, as well?
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Drago

Post by Drago »

Sweet!! I especially like the top one!
martin08

Post by martin08 »

What is it?

Polish Wz. 91/98/25

It's not a Mosin Nagant, and it's not a Mauser, but it is a little of both. These began as a 1917 Izhevsk and 1916 Tula respectively, and were converted in Poland, circa 1925, for the purpose of consolidating munitions. The barrel was replaced (some say re-bored, but I don't see it?) with an 8mm (7.92X57) which required alterations to the bolt, receiver, rear sight base, and magazine. A Mauser rear sling swivel, bayonet lug, cleaning rod, and front barrel band were added to the Mosin stock. The Mosin handguard was cut down to accommodate the shorter barrel. Several different stock/sling slot/swivel variations exist. There were also two other models produced, the Wz. 91/98/23 and the Wz.91/98/26, with the '23 model all but non-existent and the '26 differing only slightly from the '25

These guns were issued to the Polish Cavalry and Infantry support, Boder Patrol, and Forest Rangers from the mid 1920's through mid 1930's. But by 1936 they were phased out in favor of the Mauser. Most were sold to the Czechs or Spain during the Civil War. How the present day examples arrived in the US is not fully known, but a likely source would be through Interarmco, a firearms importer of the 1950's and 1960's. These guns are highly sought after prizes in the area of Mosin Nagant collecting. Besides the one linked in the auction above, the most recent one for sale at Empire Arms was not matching, and brought a cool $2850. (ref. http://7.62x54r.net/Forums/index.php?topic=10562.0)

Reference links.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rmd%3Divns

http://www.cruffler.com/Features/FEB-02 ... ary02.html

WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Someone really wanted that rifle. Man! I wonder if the cat foot went with it? :brolleyes:
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Man, that's amazing. Thanks for posting the information as well, its very interesting. I hadn't seen one of these before and actually like the looks of the rifle. I'm not ready to step into the $2K arena yet, but I will keep this one in the back of my mind :)

Thanks Martin...
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
martin08

Post by martin08 »

These things are numbered everywhere. This is the 1916 Tula.

Aside from the main donor rifle it has an Izhevsk bolt, and unknown magazine with some curious welding near the hinge pin.

Some polish features - recalibrated and flat rear sight leaf, pinned front sight blade, stepped barrel, unique two piece interrupter/ejector, re-shaped bolt head (broken extractor), Polish numbered cocking piece (missing firing pin), widened magazine housing, and receiver milled to accept Mauser 8X57 charger clips, and feed the rimless round.

The factory, ARMA LWOW, and some more interesting stamps.

Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

I'm surprised it went that high with the bubba bolt in it.
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
martin08

Post by martin08 »

The most significant differences to an M91 design can be seen here. This is the former 1917 Izhevsk compared to a 1928 Tula Ex-Dragoon.

The shorter barrel is stepped, and the chamber/shank is much smaller. Wood is added and inletted in the stock to accomodate. The front sight base is pinned in place.

The receiver is modified to reduce the height of the stripper clip guides and place them rearward to accept the 8mm round. The two piece interrupter and ejector are separately attached with mounting screws.

The bolt head, extractor and guide rod were modified for the rimless round and for feeding clearance.

The trigger guard/mag body was widened to the shoulder length of the 8mm round. And the feed ramp was widened and sloped at a lower feed angle.

The rear sight leaf was flattened, and the base was ground to calibrate for the differing ballistics.

Polish Eagles and another interesting mark.

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Does the Mag. repair look like it may have been done to stop a crack that started away from the pivot pin?
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Very informative Martin! I love how you showed all the side by side comparisons...that's a lot of work!

I am impressed more and more each day with your collection and knowledge of these old relics!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

The last one of these is saw went for around $2000 i think also. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
martin08

Post by martin08 »

WeldonHunter wrote:Does the Mag. repair look like it may have been done to stop a crack that started away from the pivot pin?
My suspicion is that the bottom side plates of the mag housing needed to be "let out" in order to accommodate the wider caliber of the 8mm round. The mag with the weld did not get the feed ramp widening like the one pictured in the comparison pics.