50 yd or 100 yd?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jimpierce7

50 yd or 100 yd?

Post by jimpierce7 »

In the morning I will be going for my first shoot of my Mosins. I am really excited. Afterwards I go put a deposit on a 91/59. I have not shot a rifle in many years. 25 or so. I was good with open sites last I shot. Is 50 yards too close? Meaning will I get bored fast due to being that close. Or just go ahead and site in at 100 yards?

Did I say I am really excited to go shooting tomorrow?
PXDon

Re: 50 yd or 100 yd?

Post by PXDon »

Start at 50 then go 100. Best to get your bearings methinks.
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Set up and do both, 50yd to warm up, then move out further :thumbsup:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

that is what I would like to do. But. If the range is as busy as I hear it is, that won't be an option with out a 3+ hour wait between the 50 and 100. I imagine I'll play it safe and go 50 yards. If I can move out I will.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

jimpierce7 wrote:that is what I would like to do. But. If the range is as busy as I hear it is, that won't be an option with out a 3+ hour wait between the 50 and 100. I imagine I'll play it safe and go 50 yards. If I can move out I will.
I agree 50yds is the best place to start. You're going to have a blast no matter where you shoot it though. Don't be surprised if it shoots high and right. You may have to adjust your POA and or make some sight adjustments but it's normal for these.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Be sure to give us a shoulder report..
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

50 yards with iron sights is fine to discover where your bullets are hitting.

This round (7.62x54r) is hotter than one would normally start with (assuming your using MilSup ammo) and so you will 'likely' be 'high' at 50.

My :2cents: is Use a FULL sheet of paper to cover ALL of your target so that you can see ALL of your hits, and make corrections, and have a BIG Bull (10 inch min) to sight in on. I have found a 6:0clock hold with these rifles works out nicely.

TUG that rifle butt in TIGHT :shifty: .....and the recoil is easily absorbed :shifty: :bwink: . These are fun guns to shoot, enjoy and welcome. :thumbsup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I like 50 because I can see the target better, but 100 is better for a rifle that shoots really high. It can be frustrating to set up a target and find that you are not even hitting the paper, and it's even worse when you don't know where you are hitting. I like to stack the targets and shoot at the lower one, and if I am shooting really high I can find it.
IPAs

Post by IPAs »

I like to shoot at 50 yds.
Mostly because I really cant see that well at 100 :vsad:
With me, iron sights at 100 yds just covers the target anyway. if I put any kind of group together, its usually by accident.
At 50, I can see where Im shooting
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

jimpierce7 wrote:that is what I would like to do. But. If the range is as busy as I hear it is, that won't be an option with out a 3+ hour wait between the 50 and 100. I imagine I'll play it safe and go 50 yards. If I can move out I will.
3 hour wait??? Holy Crap... Time for a new range. :shock:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
RRSponenberg1968

Post by RRSponenberg1968 »

You can start at 50 all of my mosins shot high at that distance,as much as 3 inches most shoot high at 100.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

200-450 :shock: I usualy do 100 and then move up from there. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

50 yards is way to close for a full power .30 battle rifle, but lets face it, how many of us can still see past 100 yards?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt