So I won this... Good deal??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gsragtop

So I won this... Good deal??

Post by Gsragtop »

Once again, I'm surprised I won.. I placed the opening and only bid on a Hungarian M44.. Missing its front sight, which is no problem to replace.. I emailed about the bore and he said it may clean up, it may not.. They would rather me think it's better then expected then worse. So I took the chance for $150 shipped.. What do you think??

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =376641220
desdem12

Re: So I won this... Good deal??

Post by desdem12 »

I personaly think this is a great deal. Any sweet carbine for under 200 is just stealing. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It looks just the one I got last year, literally, except that mine was missing the bayonet. My price.....125.00 :P
I thought you got a great deal. As long as it passes headspace, then really, what difference does it make if it's numbers match? I love the feel of these. Does this one just feel thick in the stock and heavy the way mine does?
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

bunkysdad wrote:It looks just the one I got last year, literally, except that mine was missing the bayonet. My price.....125.00 :P
I thought you got a great deal. As long as it passes headspace, then really, what difference does it make if it's numbers match? I love the feel of these. Does this one just feel thick in the stock and heavy the way mine does?
Don't know I don't have it yet :bwink: probably will not see it for at least another week :vsad:

Question, I found a guy selling the front and rear sight for a 91/38.. I don't know why he has them for sale, I was afraid to ask.. My question is does the 91/38 use the thick base of a m44/m53 or the thin base of a 91/30??
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Very cool and great price. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I'll cross my fingers for the bore :P Stock looks real nice. You'll have to find an M-44 front sight.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Gsragtop wrote: Question, I found a guy selling the front and rear sight for a 91/38.. I don't know why he has them for sale, I was afraid to ask..
Now that is scary!

I'm not sure about the base size. Someone will probably answer before I can dig mine out of the safe.
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I think you did well, Hope it is as expect I think so. Good call. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

The description of the bore as "terrible" no doubt scared away other bidders, but you never know about those things. My m52 sniper was listed as having a rough bore and it cleaned up great. :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Missing front site? No problem. Gives you something to look for. And probably cheap.
I have to stay away from GB. Too tempting.
But you stole that one. Great price.
:bravo: :bravo:
Cat
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

91/38s should have the fat base cause they had the m44 bayo lug at first. Of course they may differ some. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice, it has some personality that some lack.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Yes :2cents:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

Nice purchase
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

It used the wide base M44/T53 upper sight.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

So, the first thing you need to do is get the question of "Good deal" out of your head once you bought it. It's yours and of coarse it a good deal! :bwink:

Wide M44 sight for it and clean it up and put some rounds through it. ?Then you will know if it has a bad barrel or not, and not before that.

I think you did great.

Dolk
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

yes looks good and price was great i love my hungarian m44
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

You might want to try Rick Reich at Reich Outfitters for the front sight. He should probably have one. I have bought parts from him in the past and he is very reasonably priced. Ted, the owner of 7.62X54R.net, recommended him to me a few years ago; and I have always been very pleased with any transactions I have made with him. It is a part time business for him though, so if he doesn't get back to you right away don't worry he will.

http://www.gunboards.com/sites/reichout ... index.html
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Or even our advertisers at Liberty Tree. ;mywink;

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=17

$20

Dolk
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

dolk wrote:Or even our advertisers at Liberty Tree. ;mywink;

https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=17

$20

Dolk
Yep, them too. Liberty Tree is top notch at very reasonable prices also. :thumbsup: