'Balkan" 1937 Tula 91/30 arrived. pic heavy

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
racerguy00

'Balkan" 1937 Tula 91/30 arrived. pic heavy

Post by racerguy00 »

I picked this one up the other day for a very reasonable price. I was intrigued with its odd combination of features, and when I got it in hand it didn't disappoint. I'll list the things that stand out most on this one, and now that I have good photos to share, hope you can help nail down where this one came into the US from.

Import marked by CAI under the muzzle, serial number added to left side of receiver.
No refurb marks on the stock or barrel shank but has several refurb characteristics
War-time type replacement stock serial numbered parallel to the butt plate to match the barrel
Crossbolt is better centered in the finger grooves than most Soviet stocks that I've seen
Toe splice
Added rear sight base pins
Blued-over rust pits on the receiver and barrel
No pine cone or other visible stamps on the stock anywhere beyond the serial number
Ground and force-matched bolt
Westinghouse cocking knob...I love it when a part of the good ol' USA shows up on these
Mismatched floorplate
Scrubbed butt plate
Oddly marked mag housing. I keep thinking Chinese??
The stock finish looks like a varnish, not shellac or oil finish. It's exactly like the finish on many balkan M91s
The top surface of the rear sight leaf is in-the-white. Looks to be buffed or polished.
Dark and lightly pitted bore but strong rifling. The bore is a lot better than it looks in the photo
Handguard is shellacked and has steel end caps.

I haven't broken this one down yet but will soon.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

ImageImage
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: 'Balkan" 1937 Tula 91/30 arrived. pic heavy

Post by bunkysdad »

I like it!
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

good job i like its repaired character
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Good one racer :thumbsup: was that stock number stamped on by the Russians or one of the Balkan countries? BTW nice presentation pictures. :thumbsup:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Well Dave, for a reasonable price I would say you really stole that one. After you take it apart what is the tang date ? Nice find or should we be thanking the wife for that one :brolleyes: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;

PS.....It was the pup's Karma to you now. Judi
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1937, Izhevsk, or Tula, these are not the easiest years to find outside of a SCW rifle, I had a hell of a time finding this year. Nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This has the import markings common to imports from 1998-2001, Century would be the importer. Stock color looks typical Russian refurb, as does the parts mix. It's from the first batch of refurb imports. The Balkan countrys didn't go in for the red shellac, they didn't use shellac at all, and sometimes once the shellac was gone they just used the bare wood as it was. They also tended to dispense with the cleaning rod, the Soviets often repaired stocks, and they would blue over anything, pitting included.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Although the colors are close, the stock and handguard have two different finishes. The handguard is the typical flakey refurb shellac, the stock is different. Its not shellac, but almost a varnish. It may have been applied over shellac, but not at any time recently. The stock has a lot of wear and dings etc right through that finish. The closest finish on any of my other mosins are both on balkan m91s, basically an exact match.

I'm thinking refurb sent to and issued in another country. The white sight leaf and numbered stock don't seem to be a typical fresh refurb trait. I think that was done outside the USSR.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Balkan country's did not use varnish, they used typical military oil finishes that when they did bother to apply them they did so properly. They would not have varnished over shellac, only an American Bubba would do something that sloppy. The rifle has been in the US for at least 13-14 years, a lot could have been done in that time, and now have taken on some age. Test some out of the way bit of it with a Q-Tip soaked in alcohol, rub a little spot and see if it turns red. If it does then it has dissolved some shellac, and that is what the coating is, if not then it is varnish. I have several early import 91/30's that are from the Ukrainian hoard, they match this rifle in appearance, and style.
Theodore Roosevelt
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

I'll try the q-tip test after work. :thumbsup:
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

beautiful.
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Looks like someone is going to have some fun!
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Nice pick up and definitely a little tougher date to get. But I am with JYD on this one, its not a Balkan rifle. To me it looks like an early import, that has seen private owner use for the last 20 years. Including some "bubba" varnish. This is what the "shooters" are gonna look like when they pop up for sale from time to time.

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet Balkans Racer. You have the good eye for the good stuff. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)