1940 VKT M91

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Patient957

1940 VKT M91

Post by Patient957 »

I recently acquired this Finnish 1940 VKT M91 in a trade. It has a 1914 Tula receiver with a matching bolt / barrel. I do have some questions regarding the finish though. This one looks a little rough, the worst spot being the receiver and the barrel next to it. I cleaned it as best I could using CLP and an old shirt and it looks a little better.

It does appear to have painted black at some point. My question is that this paint job looks very old. When or who could have painted this? It does not appear recent and there was a lot of black sticky substance on the barrel and the trigger area specifically. Much like a tar consistency and not the usual grease. Would the Finns have painted this? Did Bubba do it 20+ years ago? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

This is as good as I could get it. Its much easier to read in person when compared to the picture.

Here are some of the obvious painted areas:

The stock is still in nice condition, showing a very clear maker's mark.

1914 Tula receiver:

martin08

Re: 1940 VKT M91

Post by martin08 »

Black paint is not a regular finish on Finn M91's.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Patient957

Post by Patient957 »

martin08 wrote:Black paint is not a regular finish on Finn M91's.
As a century import, would this have been a Russian capture? Did the Russians ever paint these black? Do you agree that this paint looks very old? And if it was Bubba'd it would have been done a long long time ago? Just trying to get some input on this one.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Could it be worn off Bluing? There is a possibility of capture and there are rumors that some finn m91s came in with the Ukraine stuff. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Patient957

Post by Patient957 »

desdem12 wrote:Could it be worn off Bluing? There is a possibility of capture and there are rumors that some finn m91s came in with the Ukraine stuff. :D
I'm not really sure. I would say yes but the front site and the barrel around it appears odd. What gets me is that this front area is the only part that looks this way. If it was painted that was the only thing that was done, the stock has been left alone, no evidence of sanding or refinishing. Also, when I broke her down it seemed like this rifle had not been apart in quite a long time. Certainly it had been stored poorly with all the rust on the receiver and around the barrel markings. I traded an old beat to crap nazi knife for it so I was happy to get this but I wish I could be more positive that it has not been messed with.

I read that these Finn M91's are fairly accurate and cannot wait to get her on the range. It has been counter bored back about 3/4 of an inch but the bore is still bright and the rifling looks good. And like my finned PTG it also has a metal shim under the barrel.

Also, I read somewhere that the HV marked mags came on the 28/30's does anyone know if it was also done on the M91's or could this possibly be a mag from another rifle?
martin08

Post by martin08 »

It does look like paint. And it looks old and flaked.

It would be difficult to determine from the import mark if it ever was captured by the Russians. Century Arms imported from both Finland and the Ukraine.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Patient957

Post by Patient957 »

martin08 wrote:It does look like paint. And it looks old and flaked.

It would be difficult to determine from the import mark if it ever was captured by the Russians. Century Arms imported from both Finland and the Ukraine.
Thanks for the info. I wasn't sure if Century imported from Finland or not.
akguy1985

Post by akguy1985 »

I think they did. I think its a decent looking rifle though.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They imported from Finland many years ago, early 90's late 80's, black paint was not used on these and should be easy enough to remove, the stock looks OK.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Patient957

Post by Patient957 »

akguy1985 wrote:I think they did. I think its a decent looking rifle though.
Thanks!
Junk Yard Dog wrote:They imported from Finland many years ago, early 90's late 80's, black paint was not used on these and should be easy enough to remove, the stock looks OK.
I tried some steel wool on the barrel end and no amount of scrubbing would remove any of it. Any pointers on how to remove this if it is in fact paint?
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

I have an M39 that looks like your rifle. The area is under the handguard on all surfaces of the barrel, BUT is only under this one area....., and for all the world does look like paint but it isn't. I think the bluing got screwed up.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Patient957 wrote:
akguy1985 wrote:I think they did. I think its a decent looking rifle though.
Thanks!
Junk Yard Dog wrote:They imported from Finland many years ago, early 90's late 80's, black paint was not used on these and should be easy enough to remove, the stock looks OK.
I tried some steel wool on the barrel end and no amount of scrubbing would remove any of it. Any pointers on how to remove this if it is in fact paint?
AVOID steel wool @ all cost on metal, and on wood very sparingly. Better to use bronze wool on wood as minute steel particles will rust over time.

Try a paint remover and test an area that is under the wood before proceeding further and observe the results. :attn: