Finnish Mosin Nagant

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
firesteel

Finnish Mosin Nagant

Post by firesteel »

Just bought my first Mosin Nagant, a 1943 Tikka. I don't know who made it originally. I'll post a pic of the assembled rifle later. Thoughts?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Finnish Mosin Nagant

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

1943 Tikkakoski, nice, the receiver is Imperial era Russian as were most receivers used by the Finn's. Nice find, and be careful not to mess up the order of any shims you might have found in the action. Welcome to the board :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Very nice, I like the Crest on it. :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
firesteel

Post by firesteel »

Do you mean shims on the stock under the action? There is a small square metal plate tacked in place there.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice, ver nice. I bet it looks really good in the furniture the Finn's made.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
firesteel

Post by firesteel »

I'm a bare novice, but I think the stock is original finish. It is a very handsome rifle.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. Has a Chatellerault receiver Excellent first rifle. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
firesteel

Post by firesteel »

I'm an American Finn with a great interest in Finland and her history, and saw this rifle at a recent gun show. I remembered something about how the Finns laminated the stocks on these rifles, and when I saw the lamination joint I had to buy it. It has a bit of history behind it, even showing the Russian Imperial eagle, or whatever it is, on the receiver, along with the Finnish Tikka logo on the barrel. The serial number on the barrel matches the bolt. I'm very happy with it. I'll be looking for more.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Finnish mosins are the sweet kind of mosins. They never made any receivers so all of the receivers will be Russian. It is a bonus to have the early French mosin receiver also. Good luck in your hunt. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

What you are calling a lamination is in fact a finger joint. There are a few different types of finger joints. Below ar a couple examples. A pre or wartime model and a post war type. There are also original 1 piece stocks also. A laminated stock looks like plywood does from the sides. Thin slices of wood glued together to form a strong sheet of wood that is stronger than a one piece.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
firesteel

Post by firesteel »

You are correct. It is jointed, not laminated. Now I need to find a bayonet. Are there Finnish-marked bayonets available?
firesteel

Post by firesteel »

It has the pre and wartime joint. Rounded fingers.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

firesteel wrote:You are correct. It is jointed, not laminated. Now I need to find a bayonet. Are there Finnish-marked bayonets available?
Yes the bayonets are available but you might want to take out a small second mortgage first.
firesteel

Post by firesteel »

Perhaps I shall consider a mortgage. Where can I shop for a bayonet? And I understand that there are some Finnish bayonet holders? I have an original Finnish-issued cleaning kit coming from Finland and would like to complete this rifle with all original accoutrements.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I don't want to scare you in public so check you Private Messages at the top of the page.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Most excellent. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the pictures. Is this a Model 1891?
firesteel

Post by firesteel »

I believe it is a Model 91. The front of the barrel is marked M91 Finland with some other import marks.
finloq

Post by finloq »

desdem12 wrote:Nice. Has a Chatellerault receiver Excellent first rifle. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Des, that is what I thought when this popped on another board. The circle 'c' seems small and in the wrong spot, though.
The grease hole and obvious age of the receiver lends weight in that direction.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
firesteel

Post by firesteel »

There are definitely a couple small circle c's, and an open C at the rear edge of the tang. But I've come to see that there is no exact science to markings on these rifles. In any case, my next objective is to see how well it shoots.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

finloq wrote:
desdem12 wrote:Nice. Has a Chatellerault receiver Excellent first rifle. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Des, that is what I thought when this popped on another board. The circle 'c' seems small and in the wrong spot, though.
The grease hole and obvious age of the receiver lends weight in that direction.
I have found circle C marks in many different places. Whether that makes them a Chatellerault receiver I know not. At some points I really wonder whether that just might be an inspection mark that just resembles Chatellerault factory marking? The grease hole says it is early that we do know lending me to think in this case it may indeed be a Chatellerault receiver but we really can only surmise that. I have a couple of Chatellerault rifles and they have a similar marking under the tang in different spots so I would say the placement may vary and actually the size appears about right to me. It is fun guessing just exactly what you have but you will never exactly know at times! :lol: Makes for half the fun of collecting! Great to hear you are thinking of heading to the range with it. That is what it was meant to do shoot! Enjoy it and the challenge of shooting it. Congrats on a nice one! Bill :D