NEW Barrel Breakin Proceedures

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
TopperT

NEW Barrel Breakin Proceedures

Post by TopperT »

:big shock: Well I got the TIKKA 91/30 with the round receiver in yesterday and much to my surprise :big shock: this rifle HAS NOT BEEN FIRED! :Drool1: :big shock: :Drool1:
I have NEVER seen one in this condition, the lands and groves are pristine and in fact are PLUMB!

This rifle is shimmed so it must have had some technical work done but it was covered with black grease in so many places that I doubt if it had ever been fired on this side of the pond. There is zero evidence of any wear in the barrel. NONE.

The bolt is still STIFF, as the chamber is like new. SO.......................what suggestions do you have for a break in? I'm thinking, five shots, clean, rest it, five more, clean and so forth until I have "about" 50 rounds thru it....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
BuckeyeSgt

Re: NEW Barrel Breakin Proceedures

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Wow that's nice. I'd guess most were sent to the line and you broke it in by shooting at the enemy.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

For sure most were, but these particular rifles were (for the most part) put together post-war.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice. Shoot clean, shoot clean ...repeat. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, it sounds like a good break in. May try 1 round and clean, for the first 20 or so.. the barrel throat should be ok by then. If the bolt remains tight try polishing the chamber/bolt face area, just a sugestion. You did check headspace? right. Have fun.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

NO :big shock: I did not check headspace BUT I sure as hell will :redfaced: . Thanks for a reminder that no matter what.....SAFETY FIRST.... :thumbsup: .

One thought I do have on break in is that I will NOT shoot any corrosive thru this one. I have a couple of "like new M39 barrels that I have not shot yet due to not reloading new 7.62X54R's. I plan to fix that after next week.

I know fellow members, this just mat sound like BS, but honestly, its not. This sucker is brand new. NEVER ever thought I would find one. Stars got into the right alignment on this purchase. The $333.00 final bid sure looks low today... :brolleyes: :brolleyes: at leat that is what I'm desperately trying to tell the Bride. SHE is not happy.....I am.........and the couch isn't ALL that bad, just shove the GD dog off... :chuckles:
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

So you won't have to sleep on the couch...

I've had to do that and it is not fun for a week or more. :bwink: :angry4: :angry4:

You can sell it to me for a profit and show her how they are an investment. :thumbsup:

Just tell me what you need out of it to illustrate to her that your buying habits are solely for the family's benefit. :2cents: :tongue: :tongue:

Please rush your reply because I've got a M44 Tula in transaction, and a 91/30 @ 119.95 to be delivered next week.

p.s. she hasn't seen the latest bill for the 2 crates of ammo, YET! :vsad: :vsad:

Just trying to help a fellow collector out. :bwink:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Joe, you ain't got a snowball's chance in hell, you know that don't you? :P :P :lol: :thumbsup: :lol:
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

There is some controversy about breakin in barrels. Yours, for as new as it is, has most likely already had at least 20 rounds put through it by the arsenal. I would suggest that you clean the bore well (but not too roughly) then shoot 20 rounds and do another cleaning. An often overlooked fact of accuracy and barrel life is copper equalibrium. Basically, you don't want to super clean the barrel all the time, because the copper from the bullets helps to fill in any imperfections and protect the metal of the bore. That is my two cents, but do as you see fit. Beautiful rifle by the way. The couch time is well worth it.
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

http://theclaymore5150.blogspot.com/201 ... r.html?m=1
this is what I mean... sorry for double posts. Just trying to help.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Interesting. Thanks, I just tagged it for my "Fav's". I have broken in other barrels but this will be my first with one like this. Its amazing that it is in this condition. I do agree that somewhere along the line it got shot enough to get the accuracy shims in place. But following that, this one 'appears' to be untouched. Thanks.
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

Personally I think you're stressing over a non-issue. It's a military rifle, not a $4K match rifle. It HAS already been fired, and more than once. Shoot it and enjoy it. If you're going to be that anal about how clean the barrel is, you need to get an electronic bore cleaner such as the Outer's Foul Out (or a home made equivalent) so you can get ALL the copper fouling out, right down to the bare steel and start over from scratch. Just my $.02.
Jon
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

musketjon wrote:Personally I think you're stressing over a non-issue. It's a military rifle, not a $4K match rifle. It HAS already been fired, and more than once. Shoot it and enjoy it. If you're going to be that anal about how clean the barrel is, you need to get an electronic bore cleaner such as the Outer's Foul Out (or a home made equivalent) so you can get ALL the copper fouling out, right down to the bare steel and start over from scratch. Just my $.02.
Jon

Amen Brother John!!!!!!!! Bill :D
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Charge magazine. Chamber round. Put bead on target. Squeeze trigger. Repeat as often as the shoulder will allow. Pour 1qt water down barrel. Run brush through. Run two to three patches with Hoppes. Store rifle until next shoot.

Not complicated.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

WATER? :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

I wish I had NEVER made this post. Just lets forget I asked. :brolleyes:
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

These days I no longer shoot surplus. That way, no water. I'm also making the switch to Ed's red bore cleaner and 10w30 as my primary cleaners and oil. I'm sick of paying an arm and a leg for hoppes #9 and rem oil. But, back in the good old days, a hot water bath was how I did it. :)
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

TopperT wrote:WATER? :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

What's funny? Water gets the salt out.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
finloq

Post by finloq »

millman wrote:
TopperT wrote:WATER? :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

What's funny? Water gets the salt out.
And hot water dissolves the salt faster(faster moving H2O molecules come into contact with the NaCl molecules more often or quicker), therefore you will need less water.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Bore's best friend.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I prefer to make tea with it and drink it No Thank You though! :lol: Bill