I think the value of Mosins are going to take off..........

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
hoshow

Re: I think the value of Mosins are going to take off.......

Post by hoshow »

The prices have come way down since the spike in the early part of the year. They are available for under $130 at least two places online right now and the supply is holding just fine. I don't see another run on them anytime soon, as there was such a mad dash in the winter/spring. I was actually thinking of hopping back into the buyers market again since the prices have returned to almost pre-craze levels :thumbsup:
Buy the truth, and do not sell it,
Also wisdom and instruction and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I think prices will continue a gradual increase on Mosins like on most everything else. What will cause an unusual spike in pricing will be a: Europe stops exporting, b: US laws change and they are no longer allowed to be imported, c: a semi auto ban. Even good examples of refurbs are getting harder to find.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

walnut red wrote:I think prices will continue a gradual increase on Mosins like on most everything else. What will cause an unusual spike in pricing will be a: Europe stops exporting, b: US laws change and they are no longer allowed to be imported, c: a semi auto ban. Even good examples of refurbs are getting harder to find.
:pointup: +1 to this.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

When you have articles appearing in The American Rifleman then millions of people are going to be made aware of the rifle, and once they discover the price of the ammunition their interests is going to seriously perk up as an affordable rifle to shoot. :bwink:

So much so that I got rid of my SKS's and AK's to purchase more of the Mosin's as I appreciate the workmanship that went into especially the Hex's prior to WWII. :thumbsup:

Martial arms prior to the turn of the century and during WWII from virtually all major nations hold a fascination for me. :toast:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Not really. They will continue a gradual rise but no major spikes in prices. Look for the occasional high auction on GB from time to time when those with more money than sense get into a bidding war. Also, Thanksgiving time usually sees some good deals at retailers & online to drum up Holiday sales. Look for prices to remain flat over the coming 6-8 months.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I think the prices are actually coming down. Look at this weekend deal:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... c-18178449
TheSovietSamurai

Post by TheSovietSamurai »

One thing is certain for us folks down here in Aus at least, the importation of refurbs was once common, but now the group that the dealers and stores both purchased from has ceased to import them, the last batch came in some months ago. Even the largest retailer of hand-selected 91/30s has ceased to import them with no plans to do so again in the near future. The average price for a refurb has jumped from roughly $350-$400 to $600-$700, makes me feel kind of content with the high price I paid for less common examples. Of course I couldn't see this happening in the U.S any time soon, but it is possible.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

tjtM38 wrote:I think the prices are actually coming down. Look at this weekend deal:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx? ... c-18178449
in addition centerfire systems laminate sale of 119 that sold out in one day
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Now this....is the real "Stock" market! :bwink:

Invest heavily! Buy (mine) High...Sell (me yours) low!

Dolk
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

dolk wrote:.

Dolk
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ponkydoodles

Post by ponkydoodles »

I tried to convince my wife that the law in Texas states that once you have bought one Mosin you have to purchase, within six months, another with an equal or greater rarity value than the previous Mosin. She doesn't believe me :cry:
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

dolk wrote:.

Dolk
If you were to sell some of yours, you would indeed get a very pretty penny for them.
gurn

Post by gurn »

AIM has 97 left as of now.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Artemus

Post by Artemus »

97 of which type? OR all their 91/30s?
"Any sufficiently advanced technology will appear to be magic."
1915 Tula (Peter the Great) Finn M91
1915 New England Westinghouse Finn M91
1926 Tula M91/30 ex-dragoon
1931 Izhevsk M91/30
1931 Finn M27
1939 Izhevsk M91/30 Laminated
1939 Tula M91/30
1941 Finn VKT M39
1943 Tula M91/30 ex-sniper
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1943 Izhevsk M38
1943 Izhevsk M91/59
1944 Izhevsk M38
1944 Tula M44
1944 Izhevsk PU Kazan Sniper
1947 Izhevsk M44
1953 Hungarian M44
1954.1 Arsenal 296 T53
1955.3 Arsenal 296 T53
1956 Arsenal 26 T53
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I think, :brolleyes: I better grab what I want now then. Few pre-1900, I like them eagles crest. A Cossack, a orignal Dragoon ...maybe two :brolleyes: , and maybe just one :brolleyes: promis Finn. Then next year. I can sit back and figure out what I bought, unless I see something that catches my eye.

Looks like pizza :Drool1: for a few days, but with that extra money I can.... :brolleyes: :brolleyes: :brolleyes: :brolleyes: Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Postby ponkydoodles » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:40 pm

I tried to convince my wife that the law in Texas states that once you have bought one Mosin you have to purchase, within six months, another with an equal or greater rarity value than the previous Mosin. She doesn't believe me :cry:

Let me know how this works out for you :brolleyes: ......oh, and if Massachusetts has a similar law re: Finnish Rifles :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
gurn

Post by gurn »

Artemus wrote:97 of which type? OR all their 91/30s?

Now 65 Tula left. The deal is on Tulas.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

ponkydoodles wrote:I tried to convince my wife that the law in Texas states that once you have bought one Mosin you have to purchase, within six months, another with an equal or greater rarity value than the previous Mosin. She doesn't believe me :cry:

I wonder why.... :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

Nice try though. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

millman wrote:
walnut red wrote:I think prices will continue a gradual increase on Mosins like on most everything else. What will cause an unusual spike in pricing will be a: Europe stops exporting, b: US laws change and they are no longer allowed to be imported, c: a semi auto ban. Even good examples of refurbs are getting harder to find.
:pointup: +1 to this.

Agreed. Inflationary pressure causes everything to increase gradually.

IMO, the biggest threat to this hobby is an Obama executive order banning the import of foreign "military" guns. He already did it with US made gun reimportation, so why the hell wouldn't he do this with a stroke of the pen in late-2016? He could do it with "military" ammo too if he wants. I think this is a huge potential threat that most people are completely oblivious to.
Stopsign32v wrote:Another thing to think about is a new generation of collectors and what are they collecting......
Okay, but that analysis fails to consider that the "old generation" is more gun-friendly than that new generation, and some of them are leaving us each day. While some of their guns stay in the family, others are liquidated.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I expect a military ammo import ban would cause prices to stagnate or even drop a little. The availability of relatively inexpensive surplus ammo is one of the things that helps drive demand of Mosins. All it would take is for someone too decide to start incorrectly calling Light Ball ammo armor piercing because mild steel core.