Westinghouse Proof Mark ??

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mosinowner

Westinghouse Proof Mark ??

Post by mosinowner »

Is this a Westinghouse proof mark...I have seen it with a letter "E", but not sure about "B"

Here's an "S" on the stock plate...ever seen this before??? Looks like it might be stamped over a proof mark with an arrow pointing up...
....This is on a Civil Guard M39

finloq

Re: Westinghouse Proof Mark ??

Post by finloq »

Yes on the Westinghouse mark.
Yes on the 'S' stamped over the Izhevsk Bow & Arrow.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hello, from the pic's, It looks like it, very well could be a westinghouse stamp mark on the trigger, a arrow coming off a letter. But,the butt plate seems to be a Izhevsk pre 1929 bow and arrow with the "S" stamped over it. Does the shear/bolt stop have the same mark as the trigger, arrow coming off a letter?, any letter? Is this a westinghouse receiver/barrel made rifle, dated 1915 ???
rvgunner

Post by rvgunner »

I think those are Fin inspection, proof marks. They also used E and R proofs like that.
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

boltaction wrote:Hello, from the pic's, It looks like it, very well could be a westinghouse stamp mark on the trigger, a arrow coming off a letter. But,the butt plate seems to be a Izhevsk pre 1929 bow and arrow with the "S" stamped over it. Does the shear/bolt stop have the same mark as the trigger, arrow coming off a letter?, any letter? Is this a westinghouse receiver/barrel made rifle, dated 1915 ???
Posted pics of this rifle in a new post: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16611

You can see the Izhevsk (pre 1929 bow/arrow in one of the trigger photos)
finloq

Post by finloq »

Westinghouse trigger
Izhevsk sear

Bolt: Tula, Westinghouse, Sestroryetsk.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hey , how's it going? That Finlog, guy is quick... Nice call on the bolt makeup.. This is a tula reciever correct?? Is that not a hammer over the 96? Just getting in to this stuff. Or maybe, I should read what your commit was.... Any way; it looks like a great finn rifle.
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

finloq wrote:Westinghouse trigger
Izhevsk sear

Bolt: Tula, Westinghouse, Sestroryetsk.
This site shows the "arrow B" as Remington...

information/marks/
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Allied Contracts and Clawsons new book both attribute <-B to an unknown Westinghouse subcontractor.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

Lotema wrote:Allied Contracts and Clawsons new book both attribute <-B to an unknown Westinghouse subcontractor.
Thanks!
:)
boltaction

Post by boltaction »

Hey, I'm not going to knock the pros, but; from the pic's on that site , it looks like the "R" is made to look like a "B" an added strike to the bottom.. "It's a double strike".. Look at it close. But remington is only a" R "in a circle. But, I may be mistaken.But, ask Finlog on that one. Oh, and thanks for the link,..something for me to study/look at..
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I too think that the arrow B is a Westinghouse mark, and now I am wondering if there is a typo or mistake on the mentioned site, which is the site of this forum. Hmmmm..........