Are you a Russian collector or a Finnish?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
cj1964

Re: Are you a Russian collector or a Finnish?

Post by cj1964 »

I like the Finnish rifles because of their quality and care of construction, but show me an M91 that isn't SA stamped, scrubbed or hacked up (like the Balkan states tended to do) and you'll see me drool. :wink:
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I really like both, but if you put a Nagant revolver to my head and made me choose, I would go Finn.

The Russian m91early dates are a close second. Its not like I own scads of these things, but these are my favorites.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

Stopsign32v wrote:
cj1964 wrote:I like the Finnish rifles because of their quality and care of construction, but show me an M91 that isn't SA stamped, scrubbed or hacked up (like the Balkan states tended to do) and you'll see me drool. :wink:
Can't play for both teams man! Which are you if you had to choose?? :P :P
OK, OK - en valitse Suomen
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I collect milsurps, Mosins are only a part of that, Finn, or Russian, I collect them all.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
docbob

Post by docbob »

I like most milsurps but probably like the Finns more than the Russians. I admire the Finns for their quality and history.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

:thumbsup: :Finland: :thumbsup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I like them all also,...Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Yes ...I am :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I'll drool over all of the above :Drool1: :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
shmlnaaa

Post by shmlnaaa »

I collect WW2 rifles in general, but Finnish rifles are pretty cool, affordable, and have great history, so I have quite a few of them.
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

If its a mosin I like it..... idc if its Russian, Finn, or alien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ok I understand the Finn sentiments, because of the quality. If we had as much concrete information about the Russians as we do the Finns many would feel differently.
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

1.American Mosins
2. Finnish
3. Russian
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I appreciate all of them for different reasons, I identify closer with the Finnish soldiers as they fought to preserve their democratically elected government and free society from the forces of darkness ( Soviet Communism) I like collecting SOviet Mosins because being a Cold War era American I like the idea that we get to play with their toys. The history of the Mosin is pretty damn dark no matter who used them, the horrors of WW1 on the Russian and Serbian side, the wars against Japan, and the Civil Wars in Russia and FInland. Then the Wars between FInland and the USSR, the USSR against the Nazi's, the Finns against the Nazi's, and of course the post WW2 use of Soviet surplus by the Red Chinese, and North Koreans, or later the North Vietnamese. The savagery of the Spanish Civil War. The evil done against their own people in the Soviet buffer states by the Soviet supported Communist governments that I am sure would have involved some of these Mosins. Most especially the Balkan country imports. I always thought the red shellac used on the Ukrainian import Soviet Mosins was a very appropriate color, blood. There is a reason to collect any of them, of all Mosins the ones that never left the US would be the most mild of them so far as history goes, WW1 AEF training camps, deer hunts, the inside of closets.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I collect milsurps, Mosins are only a part of that, Finn, or Russian, I collect them all.

I am like the other old dog 100% Bill :lol:
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I collect milsurps, Mosins are only a part of that, Finn, or Russian, I collect them all.
This is the way I am. Mosins hold a special place for me. Honestly not sure why. I only have Russians but when funds and opportunity collide I will buy my first Finn.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Stopsign32v wrote:
Vendetta wrote:
This is the way I am. Mosins hold a special place for me. Honestly not sure why. I only have Russians but when funds and opportunity collide I will buy my first Finn.
You will be ruined.

I got my M28/30 yesterday and all I could do was :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
I ruin myself a little more everytime I buy a new milsurp. When I wrangled the trade for my 32 hex Tula I couldnt hardly keep the smile off my face when the guy opened his trunk. Its getting bad guys. :grin:
gurn

Post by gurn »

I'm not prejudiced, they can all come live with me.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Simple answer, Yes! I love them all almost equally. They each have their own characteristics that make them unique and interesting. I've only recently obtained some Finnish examples and think that I might need at least another 10 before I can provide an honest judgment of them :D. If I had to choose though, there's something special about the older Imperial Russian M91s that really speaks to me. Its partly the rifle, partly the period in history.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This is a fun topic to think about. I have the Finned M91 in the Russian Bulgarian porcine stamped stock, it's a favorite. I have the issued Finn Tula with lots of wear in the original Russian stock, Finn soldiers initials, it's a favorite. I have some Brits, and they are favorites. Yugo German k98 that's a favorite.