Drunken Gunbroker bid with a happy ending

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Chrome Moly Vampire

Drunken Gunbroker bid with a happy ending

Post by Chrome Moly Vampire »

Not that type of happy ending. Perverts.

After 10,000 beers one evening, I started playing on Gunbroker. Opening bid stuff. You all know what I mean. "If it closes for that amount, I'll take it." I bid on what I thought was a '43 ex-sniper after peering at it with one eye open. 6 days left, no bids, opener was $125. The next day, I was still the high bidder. Oh well, I don't need another 91/30, but I'll get outbid. Four days later I still reigned supreme at $125. Better check this jewel out. Much to my dismay I noticed the strong possibility of a refinished stock. Crap. I guess you get what you deserve by bidding while plastered, but I still have some time left.

You know what happened. No need to explain.

When I went to the FFL to pick it up we opened the box and sure enough a refinished stock. Wonderful. All the metal parts were still cherry original and it was a '43 ex-sniper, but the stock was wrong. Double crap. My FFL is also a gunsmith/manufacturer. I looked over on his bench and there was another 91/30 all original laying next to a scout scope mount, replacement trigger and a Mosin recoil pad. "What's all that?" He told me he had another customer that paid him to sporterize (ruin) a Mosin for him. He hadn't gotten started yet. I looked and it was wearing a beautiful blonde, arsenal-fresh stock. Being the silver tongued devil that I am, I asked him since the guy obviously didn't care about the historic aspect of the gun would he ask his other customer if he would consider a stock swap. A nice, non-shellaced refinished, oak stained stock.

You know what happened.

The guy said sure, he didn't care and now I have a sweet, correct ex-sniper for $125! It's nice to catch a break every now and then. :thumbsup:
"I never miss a chance to provide joy and/or erotic thoughts to the elderly"
~Floran~
martin08

Re: Drunken Gunbroker bid with a happy ending

Post by martin08 »

Beers and money rarely mix with success. But somehow this one had a happy ending. :wink:
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Same thing happened to me a few weeks ago., buzzed bidding and I ended up with a savage no4 mk1 enfield for $150..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:o :o :o :o :| :| :|
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Mike

Post by Mike »

I've spent a lot of unintended money on eBay after a couple of beers or so.......

Now I have a wireless keyboard, if I'm going to have too many I just hide it, that way I can read but not type. :biggrin:
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Better to spend it on a gun thenn beer...Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Now that I can agree with. :pointup: :pointup: I would rather spend money on guns then beer. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

I've only mixed beer and bidding once. I didn't start the auction intoxicated, but after being the winning bidder on an M91 PTGmfor a few days I came home after a night of playing darts at the bar only to see my winning bid had been beat with only 6 hours left in the auction. Well, my drunken desire to not be beat in this particular auction got the better of me and I woke up the next morning the proud owner of said rifle. All and all I only went about $40 over the limit I had set for myself on the auction. Once I had it in hand and replaced a missing interrupter/ejector, any regret I had about going over my limit quickly disappeared. Glad everything worked out for you.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

At least you were at the computer and not driving. I'm trying to imagine the local cops down there stopping the Chrome Moly Vampire and asking, "Sir, do you know how fast you were driving?" Chrome Moly Vampire replies; "Ten thousand miles and hour.....!" The officer then asks, "Sir, how much have you had to drink tonight?" CMV replies; "Ten thousand beers...!" Then the polite officer states, "Well, in that case, you can expect 10 days in jail and a ten thousand dollar fine." :big shock: :chuckles: :chuckles: