Judi wants to know.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Judi and her Mosins

Judi wants to know.

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Ok, I think everyone had time to look and make a opinon the this link. If not please, read it before making a judement.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16356

Now, I would like to let everyone know. I am not trying to turn the apple cart up. I just been listening to you members, and really taking your advice. Granted, I cannot find some really nice deals like your do at the local shops. As I only long for the time soon to be able to go out and look at five or eight diffrent stores that carry guns.

I said also that I dismissed this, then a hunch told me to look again. I am glad for a number of reasons. I always wanted a pre-1900 Mosin. I did not know this at the time that this was a 1896 Sestoryetsk receiver. I also wanted to research Mosins, and :brolleyes: I been eyeing some of the Finn's you been posting. Shame on you, now I want a few more.

I knowen for a month, that all of you seen this Mosin. All I had knowledge of this. That you posted in the thread "Buba or Mad Pine Tar". I thought what is the worst I could do, buy it and was a buba just strip and use for a shooter. But might have something else as, I followed your direction and research Mosin's, I thought well, $300 ok.

All I ask is that you can never dismiss any first look. I ask for your honest opinons. Was my $300 well spend ? Did I find more then you thought was there ? What really happen to this Mosin ? Look at the new pictures after It sat near the light in my safe for three days. I can easy push the "stuff" with my fingure nail. If cold it can get very bright shine and certain one will flake off. Please view the pictures. Note the wood condition, absolute perfect.

1896 Sestoryetsk receiver, Finn super good barell, Tula cleaning rod, many tula parts and I believe I found some Sestoryetsk marks on the bolt also. To me right now this is mine. I like it, I am proud of it, I would not sell it for $10,000. I ask now, what I do with it. Your feedback will depend in my thoughts. Strip the "stuff" or not off the Mosin. I still have thoughts on my mummy one too.

I would like to thank everyone for the help and time you have given to me since I been here. Thanks RMNF members, Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;

Which means Judi has a few questions too at the end of the pictures ....Please answer for me.

New pictures of the Mosin stock.

***Note*** how easy it is just my fingure nail made this easy, The stuff inside the stock is Tar, no doubt. but the rifle stock ? no spray on stuff for sure.

***Note the little mound of "stuff" I was able to push with only my fingure when about, 90 degrees F.

Also recived my 1947 sling today for the "mummy" ...

Question,...Anyone every use this, they said Cosmoline out of business, this was the same thing looks the same. Is this ok to use.

Thanks everyone, Judi and her Mosins. ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
TopperT

Re: Judi wants to know.

Post by TopperT »

I believe I can see the marks from your finger nail on the wood finish so THAT is clearly NOT a way to remove the "gunk". I'll get flamed here but :redfaced: : Take it off girl! :thumbsup: I still follow your line of thinking on this. Somebody's idea of "preservation? :brolleyes: :geek: :shifty: ..............could be :biggrin: :biggrin: could very well be :thumbsup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The black coating on this rifle is not any I have seen on any of my Mosins, Finns or not. It comes off easy due to who ever put that coating on it did no or very little prep work. You can not put a finish over a gloss finish. Just as you can't put some finishes over some other finishes. As I said in the other thread, I would wait and keep looking for a correct stock. Who ever told you the quit making cosmoline is dead wrong. JYD can point you to it. There is a reason that it was not attracting any bids. Nobody wanted it. Sorry Judi, time to say, move on and put yur energy to a rifle that has not been f%&#*d with..
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Judi and her Mosins

Is the Veto stuff as good or the same as cosoline as they claim. I seen the link JYD send. I was wondering if this is the same thing, diffrent name ? Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

This is what you look for in finn stocks. Here is 2 Tikka m91s. One is a nice used stock and one is a likely new finn stock (arsenal). These were approximately the same price as yours. Your rifle is fine but the stuff on the stock is not "finn wax" as near as I can tell. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Its all in how you look at it. You can tell everyone you got a "Black Rifle" for 300 bucks.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
finloq

Post by finloq »

Longcolt44 wrote:The black coating on this rifle is not any I have seen on any of my Mosins, Finns or not. It comes off easy due to who ever put that coating on it did no or very little prep work. You can not put a finish over a gloss finish. Just as you can't put some finishes over some other finishes. As I said in the other thread, I would wait and keep looking for a correct stock. Who ever told you the quit making cosmoline is dead wrong. JYD can point you to it. There is a reason that it was not attracting any bids. Nobody wanted it. Sorry Judi, time to say, move on and put yur energy to a rifle that has not been f%&#*d with..
I think that with a little research, that stuff can be removed. As LC stated, I don't see the Finns just painting over a gloss finish. Nobody would do that, let alone professionals. The Finns were not known for half-assing their firearms.

I think that the finish under that black gunk will be fine. It is not a write off.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
gurn

Post by gurn »

Simple, if you really want to know what the stuff is take a sample to a lab and have it analyzed. I dont know what it would cost but I bet they could tell you if it was new chemicals or pine tar. I would be excited to just have the Tikka barrel. The bolt has a New England Westinghouse part also. I lean towards it being a modern spray coating myself. I would put those fingernails to work and clean it all off if it was me. It does look like its nice underneath.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Judi and her Mosins

gurn wrote:Simple, if you really want to know what the stuff is take a sample to a lab and have it analyzed. I dont know what it would cost but I bet they could tell you if it was new chemicals or pine tar. I would be excited to just have the Tikka barrel. The bolt has a New England Westinghouse part also. I lean towards it being a modern spray coating myself. I would put those fingernails to work and clean it all off if it was me. It does look like its nice underneath.

Good idea gurn,....send a sample in to the lab. Thanks, Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
Dr. Seuss quote
gurn

Post by gurn »

Judi and her Mosins

Has anyone used the "rust veto " product ?...Judi and her Mosin's
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

What's the rush? Leave the stuff on there, and let it fall off as you handle and shoot it. I know you are going to do both, and another layer of protection for the original finish isn't a bad thing
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Judi and her Mosins

Junk Yard Dog wrote:What's the rush? Leave the stuff on there, and let it fall off as you handle and shoot it. I know you are going to do both, and another layer of protection for the original finish isn't a bad thing

Sound advice, when most of it falls off should I then remove the rest ? Also anyone ever used that "Rust Veto" or should I toss it ? Thank you everyone for your help and advice, Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tell people it's just dry blood from the last person who asked you what was wrong with your rifles finish. I have never used that product, I have no idea what it will do. When it starts falling off in large chunks then give the rest a little help.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

I haven't used rust veto, but I would imagine it would be fine for long term storage, but a bit messy if you were gonna use the rifle.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Unread postby Junk Yard Dog » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:06 am

Tell people it's just dry blood from the last person who asked you what was wrong with your rifles finish. I have never used that product, I have no idea what it will do. When it starts falling off in large chunks then give the rest a little help.

:chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles: Once again JYD is RIGHT! :thumbsup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
gurn

Post by gurn »

I know nothing about Rust Veto. Would it mix well with scotch?
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Doesn't everything mix with scotch? :shock: :lol: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
finloq

Post by finloq »

desdem12 wrote:Doesn't everything mix with scotch? :shock: :lol: :lol:
No! You damned heathens!
This stuff is meant to be served, neat.
Blended scotch is OK (if you are Irish or Canadian). Bourbon or Kentucky whiskey is fine for a mix.

Sorry for the couple of bourbons (interpretation) that slipped into the shot.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

finloq wrote:
desdem12 wrote:Doesn't everything mix with scotch? :shock: :lol: :lol:
No! You damned heathens!
This stuff is meant to be served, neat.
Blended scotch is OK (if you are Irish or Canadian). Bourbon or Kentucky whiskey is fine for a mix.

Sorry for the couple of bourbons (interpretation) that slipped into the shot.
Amen too that! :)